Exercising with my friends - insect bites

Options
So while out climbing yesterday I made friends with about a million mosquitos and am now covered in insect bites. I've repellent for the next time I'm out but how do I ease the pain because its driving me mad!!!

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Hehe. I've been told eucalyptus oil helps. Also, mosquitoes hate the smell of eucy oil. I love it, though, so I might bite you.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Smother you mates in jam next time :-)
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hehe. I've been told eucalyptus oil helps. Also, mosquitoes hate the smell of eucy oil. I love it, though, so I might bite you.

Excellent, I'll see if I can get some. Then instead of looking out for millions of bugs I just have to look out for one person :p
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of knock off brands-and even Avon skin so soft makes a good repellent- but honestly- anything with DEET in it is going to be your best bet for effective repelling AND for longevity.

Reapply if you get too sweaty.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    The best thing I've found for insect bites is the stuff you spray on for sunburn, I think it has lidocaine in it. Of all the things I've tried, and I've tried a lot, that seems to work best.
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use a product called "Afterbite". It can come in a stick or in an ointment form. Calamine lotion can also be used, although you'll likely have little pink dots all over you.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Options
    I use a product called "Afterbite". It can come in a stick or in an ointment form. Calamine lotion can also be used, although you'll likely have little pink dots all over you.

I just went to the store and picked up some Calamine, I'm very brown so now I've got white patches all over me :p
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of knock off brands-and even Avon skin so soft makes a good repellent- but honestly- anything with DEET in it is going to be your best bet for effective repelling AND for longevity.

Reapply if you get too sweaty.

I like the Avon stuff. We use the 'soft and fresh' fragrance. I don't like the smell, but it kept the bloody midges at bay when walking/canoeing in Scotland (land of the pesky midges) last week.

The one night we didn't put it on was when we were packing up and putting the canoe on the roof - got bitten alive in 20 minutes.

The owner of the place we stayed said that they don't even need to bite you (to feed or anything), they're just arseholes.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Oh, don't they also dislike urine?

Or am I getting confused with something else? I'm happy to piss on you and let you find out. :laugh:
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Options
    Oh, don't they also dislike urine?

Or am I getting confused with something else? I'm happy to piss on you and let you find out. :laugh:

I think that's jellyfish stings, as far as I'm aware you don't get jellyfish in the peak district. Jellyfish in the Peak district could actually be a really good horror film, I mean its less far fetched than Sharknado right? Just remember it was my idea when some movie maker sees this post and steals it.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    Urine is Jelly fish stings.

I have a grass allergy, and take otc pills for that - they also help with insect bites. You could try to ask a pharmacist.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you dont have other issues, try adding a bit of lavendar essential oil to your lotion. in addition to healing the bites it's also a repellant.

you can also use tea tree but personally i find lavendar better scent.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    This may sound awful, but I just dab straight ammonia (the kind in the cleaning aisle at the store) when I have bites that are driving me insane. It's the main ingredient in the Afterbite medicine, but about $1.00 for a giant bottle. Works really well, and pretty fast!

My son has really bad reactions to mosquito bites, so I am constantly spraying him with bug spray. I'm not picky about brand, as long as it has DEET it works well.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Today, my mum told me alcohol helps. Seems like a waste of single malt to me! She reckons nail varnish remover would do the trick.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Cold shower
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    A dose of benadryl or similar can help to ease the itchy feelings.