You could offer younger self advice, what would you say?

Options

Replies

• annabananna1183
    Options
    Be neater.
    Be who you are. If you don't know who you "truly are", stop obsessing over it.
    Dump him when at that 2-week mark you mutter to yourself about how unimpressed you are with his personality. You'll save 6 1/2 years of misery.
    Save your money and keep the office job. You don't really want to be a musician.
    Lift heavy. Now.
    Quit wanting a best friend. Quit wanting people to like you.
    Don't be so easily flattered by male attention.
    There will be people who you just don't get along with. It's not your fault. It's not their fault. You just don't understand each other at all.
    Be careful about trusting people too easily. Believe it or not, not everyone has the ideals you have.
    Never try to erase who you are.
    Stop caring so much about religion.

---
    That said I have nothing against where I am now, having learned the things I learned. :)
  • DavidMarrs420
    Options
    The first thing I would do is slap that beer out of my hand. Then I would say never be afraid to try and never quit. Most of the things I worried about never happened and if something unfortunate did happen just learn to roll with the punches. And say yes when Susy asked you out.
  • emkayelle91
    emkayelle91 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Save your money
    Don't be so easy
    Worry about the quality of friends, not quantity
    Stop worrying about what other people think of you...they suck anyway.
  • rideontechnology
    rideontechnology Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    1. Actually try in college, but in animation instead of graphic design - instead of doing nothing and creating a huge debt to start off terrible credit. This stuff will affect you in the future!
    2. Pay attention to what you put into your body, especially when you come home for the day, and catch that unhealthy relationship with food before it swallows you whole. You'll be grateful.
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    1. Don't listen to anything your mother has to say; she's poison.
    2. Don't try to rekindle anything with bio-mom. that's even more poison.
    3. Remind yourself that if you have to HIDE something from someone- anyone- there's a reason and you probably shouldn't be doing it.
    4.. Do everything you can in college to keep cost down- those loans SUCK.
    5. When the doctor brings up pre-diabetes, get your *kitten* moving! don't wait! it's NOT okay!
    6. Don't take your 15 year old genetics for granted! Keep moving! Kick some *kitten*! Don't become so sedentary!
  • AlexisSpiros
    AlexisSpiros Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1. Don't go to that school just because your mother said it was awesome when she went there. That was a different time.
    2. Please, please don't hurt yourself.
    3. Talk about your problems. Talk to your dad, he's ridiculously worried!
    4. Don't hate yourself.
    5.Be proud of who you are. Those people at your school are all absolutely worthless.
    6. Don't study translation. Seriously. Don't. I know you love it, but it's gonna make you so unhappy.
    7. Don't date this guy. He promises you the world and then steals your money.
    8. Choose the French guy. Who cares if he's far away, he loves you.

Would you have met the French guy if you hadn't studied translation? :)

Probably yes, he was someone I met in a chatroom, then proceeded to add him to msn messenger and text him too. For what it's worth, he might still be alive, had I picked him instead of the other guy at that time.

...I sure hope I got quoting right.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    1. Don't go to that school just because your mother said it was awesome when she went there. That was a different time.
    4. Don't hate yourself.
    5.Be proud of who you are. Those people at your school are all absolutely worthless.
    6. Don't study translation. Seriously. Don't. I know you love it, but it's gonna make you so unhappy.

Probably yes, he was someone I met in a chatroom, then proceeded to add him to msn messenger and text him too. For what it's worth, he might still be alive, had I picked him instead of the other guy at that time.

Awww. Thanks for replying. Was just wondering if there was a bright side to the translation study/work.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Nothing because younger self wouldn't have listened!

Stuff that shaped my teenage years also shaped who I am today, I got through the dark times and came out a more enlightened person so instead of reflecting the past I realise what I have come through and what I have now. We are the people we are and it is what we do from this moment on that defines us, not the past.
  • AlexisSpiros
    AlexisSpiros Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    4. Don't hate yourself.

Awww. Thanks for replying. Was just wondering if there was a bright side to the translation study/work.

There was! I very much enjoyed it, both for the translation lessons and the literature seminars. And also for the many people I met who didn't care about my weight or music taste :)

And my English also improved massively thanks to studying.
  • alaskarae07
    Options
    Your the one who is going to live with your choices not your parents just join the Military & enjoy your life.
  • WisheeNY
    WisheeNY Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    "Keep eating like that and I'll make sure you regret it."
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    A. Live at home while you get your bachelor's. Having no debt when you graduate is worth the very minor annoyance.
    B. About that bachelor's, go ahead and double major in Literature and something useful.
    C. Your mother is wrong about Robert*.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    "Stop breeding and sell off your mares and stallion before the horse market crashes!!"
  • detox_pixie
    detox_pixie Posts: 166
    Options
    Eat more greens. Lots more.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    4. Don't hate yourself.

There was! I very much enjoyed it, both for the translation lessons and the literature seminars. And also for the many people I met who didn't care about my weight or music taste :)

And my English also improved massively thanks to studying.
    Well that's good!
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would say...Jess, life is going to be really hard for a long time. You're going to search the country looking for something, whatever it is you think will fill that hole. Stay put, kiddo. What you want, what you need isn't anywhere but inside. Honestly though...while life has been incredibly hard, I have loved every bit of my journey for making me the person I am and love now.

Also, young Jess, don't be afraid of your sexuality. It will turn into one of your strong suits and places of inspiration.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You're worth more than you think. Start believing in yourself.
  • Carrigarri
    Carrigarri Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would tell myself to stop making excuses and stop stalling
  • JBfoodforlife
    JBfoodforlife Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    Stop procrastinating, stop worrying about what others think of you and live your life to the fullest!!
  • chocolatexxmintt
    chocolatexxmintt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Don't procrastinate and don't over eat!