Bad calf pain during and after running.

Options
Hi. (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or I've broken any arcane MFP rules)
I'm in my second week of a C25K program on my iPhone and kind of surprised by how much I like it. The first week I was doing it every other day but this week I've started doing it almost every day.

However I'm pretty much crippled every day by really bad calf pain about 20 minutes in. It's much worse when running then when walking. I bought some new running shoes to fix my pronation issues (and replace my old shoes from 2007) and I tried about 10 different stretches before running and it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Its annoying me because I feel like I could be running much longer and probably with more intensity but I keep having to turn back and hobble home after 20-30 minutes. Its almost definitely related to me stepping up the frequency but is there something I can do short term/long term to stop this happening.

Thanks for helping out a running noob.

Replies

• callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You have to work up to running. I think most people run a bit, walk, run a bit more until your muscles get used to it. Make sure you are warming up your muscles by walking, stretching a bit, then start slowly. Stretching before and after the run/walk intervals will help as well. Make sure you're nice and warm before trying to stretch though or you can do more harm than good.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What is the pain like? Is it sharp, or feeling like something is WRONG/out of whack in your leg? Or is it just legit muscle soreness?

If it's just muscle soreness, then try massage/rolling the pain out. And then run anyway. It hurts, but ya just gotta suck it up till it goes away. :(
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I think you are trying to do too much too fast. You should only run every other day during the 5K program. I usually just walk a couple miles and do core strengthening on my off days.
  • Helen71017
    Helen71017 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/ask-doctor-calf-pain-when-running-fast

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/why-do-my-calf-muscles-cramp-when-i-run

There are several good running books that review common running injuries. I generally look at running websites when I injury myself. Unfortunately in my personal experience a running injury almost always means some time off for recovery. You should never continue to run through severe pain. With the severity of your pain you probably need to see an orthopedic or sports medicine doctor.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Always stretch thoroughly before exercising.

If you are sore, this is normal. If you're in serious pain it's time to see a doctor.
  • scol8914
    scol8914 Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow. Quick responses.
    Firstly I am still doing fairly even intervals of running and walking. Atm I think its 1:30 running, 2:00 walking, repeat.
    Secondly the pain is fairly sharp and I've noticed its confined to a pretty specific area of my inner calves. Same place on both sides. I've been hoping that it will go away with time (like the leg itchiness did before) but so far it doesnt seem to be doing that. Maybe its just to early to say.

Thanks for all your help already
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It's most likely related to doing the program every day and not taking a rest day. Most running injuries/pains are attributable to either increasing speed, distance, or amount of runs too soon. Once you finish C25K, or at least get to the part where you are running the vast majority of the 1/2 workout, then you can run daily (although you still should have rest days as well as cross train days too).

Anti-inflammatory, ice, and rest if necessary.

Also, it would be good for you to more specifically describe the pain you're having....it could be an actual injury or just soreness.
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1 of C25K and I had the horrible calf pain also. I was told to eat a banana before running for the potassium to stop muscle cramps and do a quick stretch after each running interval and it REALLY helped. My last session I hardly had any cramping at all. After I run I walk for about 30 seconds and then do a quick walking lunge type stretch as I'm walking but stretching out the calf good on each side twice and then I resumed walking. It worked really well so maybe try doing something like that.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hi. (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or I've broken any arcane MFP rules)
    I'm in my second week of a C25K program on my iPhone and kind of surprised by how much I like it. The first week I was doing it every other day but this week I've started doing it almost every day.

However I'm pretty much crippled every day by really bad calf pain about 20 minutes in. It's much worse when running then when walking. I bought some new running shoes to fix my pronation issues (and replace my old shoes from 2007) and I tried about 10 different stretches before running and it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Its annoying me because I feel like I could be running much longer and probably with more intensity but I keep having to turn back and hobble home after 20-30 minutes. Its almost definitely related to me stepping up the frequency but is there something I can do short term/long term to stop this happening.

Thanks for helping out a running noob.

Per the advice of a few other posters, you might want to cut back on the frequency of your running.

Calf cramping is almost always what is referred to as "exertional cramping". It has nothing to do with pronation, which is a completely natural movement of the lower part of a runners' kinetic chain, and is , as best modern science can determine, a result of a muscle not being able to relax.

When I started running three years ago, I made a habit of stretching before my runs because that's what I had been trained to do when I played basketball in college. As I learned more about running and when I read good science about running, I quickly learned that static stretching is a very good way to damage your muscles and can reduce your power output.

That is not to say that there is no value in static stretching but there is limited value in static stretching for long-distance runners. For most runners the only static stretching that is needed is to stretch the glutes post-run to allow you to increase your hip extension at toe off. In that you are new runner, I don't think that you are at the point where you need to worry about hip extension. :-)

I have had problems with calf cramping myself, going back to my teenage years. Since I"ve started running again at the tender age of 55, exertional cramping has affected me in two race. I pushed myself too early and I ended up overtaxing my muscles.

The way to combat this is to cut back on the intensity and duration of your runs. The more you run at the lower intensity and duration levels, the stronger your muscles will become. As your muscles build strength and endurance, you will be able to run longer and faster than you are now and will be less susceptible to exertional cramping.

There are characteristics in common for people who have exertional cramping. People who suffer from exertional cramping tend to be male, they tend to be older, and they tend to be people who have previously suffered from exertional cramping. Welcome to the club!

There is some good information about this on the web and also, here on MFP. As a Runner here at MFP, I would suggest that you join the long-distance runners forum. There are some very skilled and knowledgeable runners over there, perhaps the most knowledgeable being Dave Munger who is the "head guy" at

http://sciencebasedrunning.com/dave-munger/

If you check out that site, you will see that a current topic is commentary about Lebron James having suffered from exertional cramping during a recent basketball game.

After running yesterday and today under adverse weather, nutritional, and sleep conditions, I endured a couple minutes of intense pain when a muscle on the inside of my right side cramped for a few minutes. That excruciating pain had nothing to do shoes, nothing to do with water, nothing to do with electrolytes — I just pushed my body too hard and it was giving me a "gentle reminder"! :-)

Good luck with this and, though I know this is difficult, have patience. Build up slowly, put in a lot of slow miles (about 80% of your miles should be slow), and you'll be kicking' azz and takin' names in no time.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I know you want to keep running/walking, but it sounds to me like you need a good 2 day rest. Do something else those days to work your upper body instead--weights, push ups, whatever.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ..... this week I've started doing it almost every day.

Rest days have a purpose. Use them. That doesn't mean don't train on those days, do some resistance training, or swim or cycle, or row.
    I tried about 10 different stretches before running and it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Cold static stretching has no beneficial effect, and is more likely to lead to injury when running so should be avoided. If you do feel the need to stretch beforehand then dynamic stretches once you're warmed up.

After your run spend a decent amount of time stretching out to help recovery.
    Its almost definitely related to me stepping up the frequency but is there something I can do short term/long term to stop this happening.

the main thing with C25K is to focus on completing the time, speed isn't that important at the moment. with running, time on your feet, and distance, bring speed. I used C25K about 15 months ago, concentrated on increasing my time on my feet and now I'm on a 24 minute 5K, 47 minute 10K and 120 minute half marathon. Just give the programme time to have an effect.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Always stretch thoroughly before exercising.

If you really want to injure yourself.....
  • musky4life2013
    Options
    Not trying to take away from everyone's advice on proper stretching and proper foot wear but I use to have a very similar issue and none of the above helped me at all. When you get a moment look up Exercise induced compartment syndrome. I unfortunately had to have surgery. I would suggest try everything and anything before the option of surgery.