Night eating and sabotaging all my good work

Options

Replies

• KornishPiskie
    KornishPiskie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have read the same thing. My doctor wont help tho. They think Im trouble at the surgery because I have underactive thyroid and vertigo and migraines
  • skyfall91
    skyfall91 Posts: 74
    Options
    could it be because of you thyroid?
    If its not medical then I was the same. When my kids were babies and waking at night Id be up with them a 2am and Id be eating another meal through tiredness and to keep energy up. I try to make sure I eat something before bed so I dont wake at night hungry and I end up not getting hungry really early anymore
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fiber?

Only at weekends, as it makes me bloat.

The OP is KornishPiskie, not shapefitter
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try some of the weight loss/fitness hypnosis programs before you go to sleep.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    High carbs cause blood sugar spikes, then insulin spikes, then blood sugar crashes, then hunger pangs, then overeating. Repeat until fat and posting on MFP.

RAISINS are the worst. Cut out fruits bread HFCS potatoes rice cereal milk candy. If you are consistent then hunger will go! Keep daily sugar under 36g and carbs under 70g - it works. You can eat high fat ice cream under those limits. Supplement vitamins if you aren't getting enough calcium or whatever.

One side effect is stomach growling, without the hunger. Sounds like victory.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    You've mentioned it being a habit. So you either break the habit, or you figure out how to eat 300-500 calories less in the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JonDyn
    JonDyn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie , I take a bottle of diet drink with me into the bedroom to get rid of any eating urges
  • ruth87jm
    ruth87jm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you struggling to sleep? I.E. are you getting up and eating simply because you're lying awake in bed and have nothing to occupy your mind other than food? I don't know if you're already exercising, but I find that when I'm working out on a regular basis, I sleep MUCH better - literally fall asleep straight away and don't wake up until the morning, and I'm usually quite a bad sleeper.

I can also vouch for the sleep hypnotherapy tapes - you can find quite a few just on YouTube. If I've had trouble sleeping, I often find that I'll sleep right through if I listen to a tape as I'm going to sleep.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    how about just work it into your calories.

At my last meal of the day I eat about 1200 calories (at 10:00 every night)-- this prevents me from wanting to eat at all.
  • KornishPiskie
    Options
    No I didnt mention it as a habit. I do it every night half sleep walking half knowing what Im doing but unable to stop. A sleep haze really
  • KornishPiskie
    Options
    No no struggling to sleep. I exercise an hour a day (half hour walk, half hour zumba) 2 days off a week from that though. I still get up twice a night to go to the bathroom (used to be once no idea why twice now!) But maybe the tapes will help will have a look. Thank you,
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yup, this is really a matter of eating too many things that break down into sugar and cause insulin spikes. I was the same way until I cut carbs and sugars out for a month. Within 5 days, my hunger ceased. My carb cravings were totally gone. I could eat much lower calories and feel full for a lot longer. After the months was over, I slowly introduced a few of the carbs back in but still don't eat any sugar (except for a few treats here and there. I don't really like sweets so it's NBD). I no longer get hungry at night. If I DO have a craving, I will eat a square of 90% lindt dark chocolate. I was a serious chocoholic before I decided to lose weight and still love the flavor but now I eat it with almost none of the sugar.

This is really a battle of will. You have to be hard on yourself and have high standards for your diet. If you aren't keeping tabs on yourself, no one else will. There isn't really a secret, we just have to stop indulging ourselves.
  • KornishPiskie
    Options
    OK don't know whats happening to my posts. So anyway thanks for the suggestions. I have read about melatonin and have a saliva test to do which also for adrenal glands (these can be a problem with thyroid). If I could stop I would. I don't smoke and I don't drink hate both quite a lot really. Not even tempted when I go to pubs, so I must have some kind of control. I eat brown rice, multi grain bread and porridge. I eat half a plate of veg 1/4 carb, 1/4 protein. Unfortunately can't lock the kitchen door as it has no door! However was thinking of locking up stuff in a cupboard to give me a chance to think about it. Hypnotherapy may be the way to go but definitely interested in the blood sugar post so may try that I was trying carbs before going to sleep to make me sleepy so will try protein instead now. Thank you for the help. x
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/22041-no-nighttime-eating-support-group
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have read the same thing. My doctor wont help tho. They think Im trouble at the surgery because I have underactive thyroid and vertigo and migraines

I'd get a second opinion; maybe see what's going on with hormones or other blood chemistry factors.
    Like the poster whose doctor suggested eating something high fat before bed, you need to find a doctor who wants to help solve the problem, or at least get to the bottom of it.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I know what I'm doing but I can't stop myself from doing it. Sometimes I don't know I've done it til the morning.
    I don't know if my fullness hormone is working properly.

When you know you are doing it - only you can stop yourself. Just stop.
    On the other hand you say sometimes you don't know until morning that you have done it ???? then you should see a doctor because you have more issues happening here than eating in the middle of the night - how do you know the next morning that you have eaten during the night - are there crumbs all over the bed?
  • elizabethroyce10
    elizabethroyce10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to do that. I had to quit gluten for health reasons. I realized... "Oh wow , Im not craving all that bad stuff anymore!" I have been able to stick to eating healthy and start losing for the first time ever!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I restrict my calories too much. If you have your calorie goal set at 'lose 2 pounds a week', change it to no more than 1 pound a week, or even half a pound a week as you only have 18 pounds to lose. Excessive restriction of calories will encourage binge eating and is not beneficial in the long run for a multitude of reasons!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you eating on a normal day?

How much fat?

Sounds like these two things you may need to increase,

Same thing used to happen with me, but this used to happen when I was exercising ALOT & not fuelling myself after a workout.

Do you eat after you workout?

Drink lots of water too!

(Keep little low calorie protein bars in your drawer near your bed, so instead of getting out of bed going to the kitchen, eating whatever, wake up, eat one of them, and try & go back to bed)

Me exercising ALOT & having that broken sleep caused me massive problems. Falling asleep at work etc. It was horrible.

Now I am aiming for 4 days a week training & JUST EATING HEALTHY & BEING FIT ; )

Even though I need to lose some weight now as I have an event in 3 weeks time... I may need to up my game.

Good luck
  • michelleclearylcsw
    Options
    Night Eating Syndrome (NES) is real and is frustrating and is overwhelming. Check out my article on ExpertBeacon.

http://expertbeacon.com/midnight-snacking-out-control-its-called-night-eating-syndrome/#.VEblQ-c00gl

I specialize in treating Night Eating Syndrome and other compulsive eating issues. If you have any questions please let me know! You can join my mailing list at
    www.DimensionalPsychotherapy.com