Skinny Cows and stomach aches... eek!

Options
I had a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich last night and it tasted great and was so glad I found something sweet and not horrible for me to have at the end of the day... but today I have the serious runs (sorry, TMI), gas and indigestion! Has anybody had this reaction to them before? Is it the sugar alcohol or whatever?

Replies

• MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I had a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich last night and it tasted great and was so glad I found something sweet and not horrible for me to have at the end of the day... but today I have the serious runs (sorry, TMI), gas and indigestion! Has anybody had this reaction to them before? Is it the sugar alcohol or whatever?

Are you lactose intolerant?

I discovered I was when I was only 12 years old. I'd have a glass of milk every morning for breakfast and by the end of the school day I'd be bent over with a stomach ache. Even now if I have too much ice cream or cheese or something like that, it makes me gassy and bloated.

Have you ever tried drinking Lactaid? It's the lactose-free brand of milk that I've been drinking for... 13 years now. You could also try taking some lactaid pills and seeing if that helps the next time you have ice cream.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love Skinny Cow ice creams! I haven't had any of the symptoms you describe, though. As far as I know, I'm not lactose intolerant, but what you describe sounds very much like it. My favorite skinny cows are the fudge bars, which you may do better with (if it's not in fact an intolerance, and more due to whatever is in the sandwich part).
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Some of their products are sweetened with Splenda. I know my mom can't have splenda or she'll get the same symptoms you have.
    I, on the other hand, can't handle much sugar-free gum because of the artificial sweeteners--they can wreak havoc on your stomach. :frown:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you've been eating low fat then have food with fat in it, it can have the same result. Low fat diets are not healthy, you need essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins, so no-one should cut all fat out of their diet (barring medical issues in which case a dietitian needs to give advice about how to get a balanced diet) - if someone has been eating low fat, they need to slowly increase their fat intake as sudden increases in fat intake can cause stomach upsets

although there are a number of different possibilities, some of which have been mentioned.... it's also possible that it's totally unrelated... there seem to be a lot of stomach viruses going around, it could be that and nothing to do with the ice cream.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    If the product contains a sugar alcohol, and no-sugar-added ice creams are notorious for this, then that would be my prime suspect, yes.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    "no sugar" or "sugar-free" chocolate that has the same sugar alcohol has the same laxative effect.
  • acmseattle
    acmseattle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same stomach ache issues. You should read the ingredients on the box of skinny cow. I just did and realized it's not real food. No wonder it causes gas.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Same stomach ache issues. You should read the ingredients on the box of skinny cow. I just did and realized it's not real food. No wonder it causes gas.

:laugh:

It's the sugar alcohol. Sounds like you are intolerant to it. TMI but yes have had same issue but from a whole box not just 1.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options

:laugh:

It's the sugar alcohol. Sounds like you are intolerant to it. TMI but yes have had same issue but from a whole box not just 1.

yes, it's the xylitol. it's quite potent as a fodmap.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    If I have the opposite problem, I know what I'm getting. Thanks again, Internet people!
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If I have the opposite problem, I know what I'm getting. Thanks again, Internet people!

if you have the opposite problem, the sugar alcohols will make it worse, not cure it ... in general this is what happens