Why aren't I seeing any difference?

Options
I've only recently started dieting, about 2 months now, but I stay well under my calorie limit every day and go on runs every day and try to do weight training every day. In order to have time to work out I wake up pretty early, but I work very late. I feel more and more run down with so little sleep but I'm determined to lose this weight! I've only lost 7 pounds in all this time, but I swear I'm not going anywhere near my calorie limit and my times on my 3 mile runs have gotten faster. What else can I do, or what should I do differently to help me reach my goal of losing 40 lbs?

Replies

• gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Maybe add some resistance training =)
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    1) 7 lbs in 2 months is about a pound a week which is pretty good.

2) Your running times are improving, so you're getting fitter and healthier, which is (or should be) the ultimate goal.

3) Probably should scale back both your exercise and food intake slightly. Your body needs breaks to recover. You shouldn't be running yourself so hard that you're missing sleep and getting more and more tired - for most people, this just leads to hitting a wall and giving up.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Current and weekly weight loss setting? 1200 calories is the minimum MFP will give anyone. So even if you don't have that much weight to lose, if you set your account to 2 lbs a week, which requires a 1000 calorie deficit per day compared to your maintenance calories, MFP still gives you 1200 calories per day. So basically, yes, 1 lb per week may very well be where you should be

Other than that make sure you're not over estimating your food: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Remember that your muscles will hold on to fluids to recover, and you're stressing yours out every day. They aren't even really getting to fully recover which means they will hold on to that fluid. I bet if you weight trained every other day instead, and got proper sleep the scale would be kinder. Though honestly, the scale is only so useful. The real measure of progress sometimes comes from NSV (non scale victories)... are your clothes fitting any better? Do you feel healthier? You said your times are improving... that's a plus. Don't be so hard on yourself, and like default said... 7lb in 2 months is about a pound a week. That's pretty good.
  • NyssaCole82
    Options
    Firstly you don't look as thought you need to lose 40lbs from your picture!!

How much under your calorie limit are you... I have found, as have others, that you actually lose more weight if you eat as near to your calorie limit as possible!! Your body needs food to repair it'self after exercise... But you need to eat wise; Maybe include a few nuts in your diet, avocado?? Peanut butter with banana on wholemeal bread is a good snacl for runners... Whilst it is higher in calories that an alternative snack, it provides a good balance with enough protein!!

Also, sleep is very important for weight loss... Ensure you get enough sleep!! You need to give your muscles enough down time to repair themselves... Even if it means training alternate days, or starting a few days a week and then building up the time spent training when you feel ready to increase it!!

Lastly, you are doing lots of physical exercise... Remember, muscle mass weighs more than fat mass!! Doing all that you are doing will be building muscle mass, and therefore a slower weightloss should be expected... I train 5-6times a week with a mixture of circuits, TRX, running and cycling and have lost 4kg in 2 months!! HOWEVER, i have notice a larger difference in my size... Basically, try measuring your waist, legs, arms etc and see the faster loss in those numbers as oppose to weight loss!!

Hope this helps... It's always good to talk!!
    Nx
  • CatherineKelly22
    Options
    JSG this post is pretty much similar to the one iv just posted ! Frustrating isn't it. Have a look at the comments on mine, I feel better already lol. Hang in there !
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JSG this post is pretty much similar to the one iv just posted ! Frustrating isn't it. Have a look at the comments on mine, I feel better already lol. Hang in there !

How? Everything about your account is private. There's no way to see your recent posts or how you setup your diary to solve the problem
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I think youre being too harsh on yourself that's fab loss I lose about 0.5lbs a week so youre doing better than me
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in 2 months is pretty much as good as it gets...

If this isn't what you expected it sounds like you may need to reevaluate your expectations.
  • CatherineKelly22
    Options

How? Everything about your account is private. There's no way to see your recent posts or how you setup your diary to solve the problem

I wasn't aware it was private, so no need for the narkiness thanks. First time posting in a long time.....and I got helpful and informative comments back. You should try it.
  • momiji166
    momiji166 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have at least 100lbs to lose and in 8 weeks I lost 8lbs. I was training 4 times per week and sticking to my MFP guidelines. In that time I lost 5 inches from my waist and 5 inches from my hips. I was definatley not complaining.

I would suggest eating as close as you can to your calories for the day including 1/2 back of your exercise cals and taking the measurements, its the only thing that has kept me focused.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I think 7 pounds is a great loss and success. Congrats. What your doing already seems to be working.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in 2 months is AWESOME! It's working!!! Have faith in the process and keep up the hard work.

I would also suggest incorporating at least 1 rest day and switching up your cardio every other day. Hopefully when you hit the weights, you're not doing the same thing every day.

Your muscles need time to recover after a workout. If you run 3 miles on Monday/Wednesday/Friday, try some kind of cross training for the same amount of time (or longer if it's low impact) on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. Cycling, power yoga, and swimming are my favorite types of cross-training. This will keep your calorie burn up but give your running-muscles and joints a chance to fully recover. It probably won't have much impact on your rate of weight loss but it should help you feel better during the process.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

I wasn't aware it was private, so no need for the narkiness thanks. First time posting in a long time.....and I got helpful and informative comments back. You should try it.

My bad. Let me rephrase my question. Your Highness, ma'am, I did a quick check and have not been able to find the post you just referenced on someone else's thread. There are actually multiple forums (not even counting groups) on MyFitnessPal. Would it be a lot of trouble to post the ****ing link, please, or provide some other path to the same?
  • jsg1739
    jsg1739 Posts: 4
    Options
    From what everyone has said, my weight loss amount is normal and I guess I'll just have to come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to lose this weight as quickly as I wanted. I also think I'm going to start switching up my workout a little more to give my muscles time to recover. I can't really help the lack of sleep thing though. I live in Phoenix where it's 100+ everyday so if I don't get up at 6am, it'll be way too hot.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've only recently started dieting, about 2 months now, but I stay well under my calorie limit every day and go on runs every day and try to do weight training every day. In order to have time to work out I wake up pretty early, but I work very late. I feel more and more run down with so little sleep but I'm determined to lose this weight! I've only lost 7 pounds in all this time, but I swear I'm not going anywhere near my calorie limit and my times on my 3 mile runs have gotten faster. What else can I do, or what should I do differently to help me reach my goal of losing 40 lbs?
    You've lost 7 pounds in two months and that upsets you? Seriously, you're doing fine.

That said, how do you know you're staying under your calories? Do you weigh all your food and log everything you ingest?

Do you have a heart rate monitor or something like a fit bit or body media to estimate you'd calories?

Most people miscalculated calories, bodyweight loss goes slower.
  • pythonesk
    pythonesk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think that if you don't eat enough your body will go into starvation mode, just my opinion here. You might want to try eating right at your MFP recommendations, instead of under, and see what happens. Same goes for over training. You could cut it back by half and your body will probably thank you.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Eeerm may I ask how much you weigh now? It's just that frankly I think if someone like you actually manages to lose 40lb's you will in fact ruin your good looks and end up resembling a skeleton.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    Options

My bad. Let me rephrase my question. Your Highness, ma'am, I did a quick check and have not been able to find the post you just referenced on someone else's thread. There are actually multiple forums (not even counting groups) on MyFitnessPal. Would it be a lot of trouble to post the ****ing link, please, or provide some other path to the same?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site:www.myfitnesspal.com+catherinekell
    It's the top link.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Eeerm may I ask how much you weigh now? It's just that frankly I think if someone like you actually manages to lose 40lb's you will in fact ruin your good looks and end up resembling a skeleton.

I would assume she doesn't make her choices on how she wants her body to look based on the opinions (opinions, not facts) of random internet strangers.