Help please. I gained 2 pounds this week.

Options
Can someone please take a look at my diary and progress so far? SW 152, GW 110, CW 140.4. Last week I got 138.2. I'm really bummed out. I worked out like a beast all week and didn't do anything different in a dietary way, unless I'm missing it. Thanks.

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Are you about to start your period?

Your diary is closed, so I can't look at it.

How much water are you drinking?

Unless you ate a whole bunch, I don't think the 2lbs is fat, it's likely water weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. Most likely culprits are an increase of sodium, PMS, or post workout water retention. In other words your body is holding some extra water and it will be back off in a day or two.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1 week is nothing, weight loss isn't linear, keep going.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. My diary should be open now. I'm not near PMS but I took a pain medication last Sunday before my last weigh in and I'm wondering if it dehydrated me before I weighed myself last week. I'm not going to despair though. I trust the process...
  • losingdays
    losingdays Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I fluctuate like 5 pounds per DAY, don't worry about it chica - keep up the good work :)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I fluctuate like 5 pounds per DAY, don't worry about it chica - keep up the good work :)
    This.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sodium intake might be the culprit. I looked at friday and saturday of your diary: saturday you had bleu cheese for lunch but the boars head data you chose says 0 sodium. Not possible. Friday you had an egg and cheese roll, also with no sodium....
    No. Friday was high in sodium before the egg and cheese so pretty sure that day was really high. 2 days before my weekly weigh in I watch my sodium very strictly just because I want my weight to not be artificially high. Hope this helps.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food?
  • Mariachicat
    Options
    Wow, I'm going to have to find a more comprehensive way to track sodium....I didn't realize that the entries I was logging didn't have the info. Thanks.
  • Mariachicat
    Options
    No, I just measure it and keep the quantities consistent.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I would advise weighing everything. Things like butter, oil, cheese and other high calorie foods add up quickly if you are over just a tiny bit
  • Mariachicat
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I may start doing that. For now I've just been eating foods that I can keep consistent caloric measurements of (servings per package, etc.) Maybe I'll drop the oil down to a teaspoon in the meantime.
  • oddtrees
    oddtrees Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Others have mentioned water retention and sodium, so I won't go into that.

Are you weighing in at the same time of day? If last week you weighed yourself first thing in the morning, and then maybe today you weighed in later in the day after you had already eaten or drank something. It's best (and more accurate, I've been told) to weigh yourself first thing in the morning, right after you visit the bathroom. You should make it a habit of always weighing in at the same time, since your body weight will fluctuate throughout the day as you move about, eat, and drink.
  • Mariachicat
    Options
    I always weigh myself Sunday night. I just weighed myself again this morning and now I'm 138.4....that's two pounds less than last night's reading! I think I'm going to start recording my weight once Sunday night and once Monday morning from now on....just to get a clearer picture. I must be fluctuating with water weight. Physically, especially with all the exercise I'm doing, I'm looking much better than I was when I started. Thanks for all your suggestions.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Probably a normal fluctuation. See what happens next week
  • kryschraut
    Options
    Our body weight fluctuates 2-5lbs daily, so for a 2lb gain within a week isn't much. I've always kept the mindset of as long as I didn't gain more than 3 in a week, I'm not going to fret because it could be excess water, sodium, or you could be building muscle. I just joined MFP, but did Sparkpeople for YEARS and lost close to 90 pounds. And I didn't lose every week. Keep it up!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself Sunday night. I just weighed myself again this morning and now I'm 138.4....that's two pounds less than last night's reading! I think I'm going to start recording my weight once Sunday night and once Monday morning from now on....just to get a clearer picture. I must be fluctuating with water weight. Physically, especially with all the exercise I'm doing, I'm looking much better than I was when I started. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    you should weigh in the morning with an empty stomach.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. My diary should be open now. I'm not near PMS but I took a pain medication last Sunday before my last weigh in and I'm wondering if it dehydrated me before I weighed myself last week. I'm not going to despair though. I trust the process...
    i don't think pain medications dehydrate you. Were you not drinking much??