Low Carb for insulin resistance - help!!??

Options
Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance and i am trying to adjust my diet to help this.

Would 50g of carbs a day help me to lose weight?

i was eating a LOT of carbs e.g. 50% of my diet was carbs!!! so well over 200g of carbs

Any advice appreciated !

Replies

• verityjane87
    verityjane87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant myself, and I have found that staying under 50g carbs is very helpful in losing weight. Some people can eat higher and lose just fine. I am sure that the level is different for everyone, so just try a level for awhile and see how you do. Lots of trial and error.
    Best wishes!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant myself, and I have found that staying under 50g carbs is very helpful in losing weight. Some people can eat higher and lose just fine. I am sure that the level is different for everyone, so just try a level for awhile and see how you do. Lots of trial and error.
    Best wishes!

Agreed. Trial and error is probably the best way to find what works for you - just remember to keep your calories in-line while experimenting with your macros. Atkins recommends a very low carb induction phase and then slowly raising your carb intake on a weekly basis until you find an appropriate level of carbs. Not saying that's how you have to do it, but just one way to approach it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I would join the plethora of low carb groups on here to get tons of ideas. Also, it's going to be stressful, going from 200g to 50g is tough, but you're tougher. Be prepared for the "carb flu", where you feel really gross for about a week, but then you're fine. Read lots, prep lots, and I agree with the trial and error.
  • uchube
    uchube Posts: 44
    Options
    i'm pcos and IR, and can lose weight pretty well on less than 25g net carbs a day. long term i'd like to remain under 60g net.
    I recommend not increasing your protein too much as you drop carbs; you need to increase Fats first and foremost, and moderate the protein to avoid the low carb flu.
    Oftentimes the 'fat is bad' paradigm carries over for those going low-carb initially and they end up implementing a high protein low carb, not-high-enough fat diet which causes the lack of energy. its a struggle for your body to manufacture energy from protein, it does this much more readily with fats and carbs. let it know the fats are now to be its primary fuel.
    feel free to friend me.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm insulin resistant, and i found that eating carb-free meals dropped my blood sugar too quickly. eating lower carb did better for me, and walking after each lower carb meal worked wonderfully.
  • Everburg16
    Everburg16 Posts: 101
    Options
    Hey hun, you can friend me. I have insulin resistance as well and have been working on a lower carb diet the past 5 months. :) As long as I average under 100 carbs a day, I'm good. Like others said, it's trial and error - I started out with 40 carbs and was like, "NO THANKS." LOL So I upped it to 60-70, and I generally keep myself around there and sometimes go up to 100.

It'll get easier!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi! Join these fabulous ladies here on the PCOS group. A WEALTH of information and a TON of support. Seriously. Some of the best folks on MFP are here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    PCOS over years, Type II diabetic. Obese. I was just put on LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) diet by endocrinologist. At first, I thought he was crazy. I am currently on 30 grams (gross carbs) and no more than 20 grams (net carbs). I was on injections and oral meds. Very insulin resistant.

It has been 42 days since I started eating bacon and eggs, double mayo in tuna, high fat dressings on my salads......and I have lost 30 pounds already. If you are PCOS or IR, then sugar is your enemy. I can not have any sources of sugar and even my fruit is limited to low carb berries and no more than 100 grams per day. I eat no starches at all. So, no potatoes, bread, pasta, cakes, cookies, cereal....etc.

Almost every carb comes from green leafy veggies, an occasional tomato, lots of avocados, cabbage, spinach (galore), olives....and other low carb veggies. I try to stay towards the leafy veggies, as I can have more of them.

Do some research on LCHF and see if that is something that would work for you. I know it is working for me. Good Luck....I feel for you and the struggle PCOS causes.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    BTW...since I went on LCHF, I have been taken off my injections completely, and my oral meds have been cut in half and my sugar levels are way down.
  • verityjane87
    verityjane87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Can someone help me with LCHF diet?
  • SlaughterHouseFive
    SlaughterHouseFive Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor if you should get a prescription for Metformin. It's the main medicine used for type 2 diabetes. It works by lowering glucose production in the liver and lowering blood sugar. In most cases it has the added benefit of aiding weight loss. Speak to your doctor.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Can someone help me with LCHF diet?

Take a look at www.marksdailyapple.com lots of great info on there for LCHF.