Training for a 16km Run. Any tips please?

Options
It probably sounds impossible but every year our town has an event that I would like to train for. I however have no idea on what I should be doing training wise to get my body ready to compete in it. Any advice and tips would be amazing. I am only starting running so can't run very far as of yet.

Replies

• chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My novice advice would be to start the C25K programme that lasts 8 weeks (it's fantastic) then go on to the C210K and from there you'll probably be able to train the rest of the way on your own (i'm not aware of any further programmes but you could have a look around)

My main tip would be, be patient! you will get there, don't give up and take it slow. Focus on endurance not speed and just enjoy yourself. Good luck!:)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    When is the run?
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Try a 5k first.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    My best advice:

The best workout for mid distance runs, at least for me. is called a "10-10"

Basically run lackadaisically-like for two miles (3.2 k) and then run at 10K pace for 10 minutes, jog for 4 and do another 10 minutes at 10k pace. . . jog to recovery. . . finish with another two easy miles.

Starting out you should only do one 10, and work your way up to doing three 10s (Three 10s should put you between 14 and 16K (depending on pace) perfect for your 16k

Every other week add a hilly (as hilly as you can find) route or do repeats. Hill work is one the fastest way to improve running efficiency (using running-- strength training is the other)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It probably sounds impossible but every year our town has an event that I would like to train for. I however have no idea on what I should be doing training wise to get my body ready to compete in it. Any advice and tips would be amazing. I am only starting running so can't run very far as of yet.

There are ten mile training plans out there, so it'sworth having a look at one of them. alternatively try a Couch to half marathon plan, as that'll take you beyond the 10mi so leaving you with the capacity.

If you want to try something a little lower commitment for now then a C25K plan will help you get to the stage where you can comfortaly run for 30 minutes. For me 10 miles takes about 1Hr 30 minutes at the moment, so there's a way to go after that but it'll get you on the right course and it's easy to bild up from there.

How long have you got? In prinicple you could be looking at about 20-24 weeks to get to 10mi distance comfortably, but if you plan to use a run/ walk profile then that might be more achievable in a shorter time. Personally I'm not a fan of run/ walk but many people like it.
  • clairetomkinson84
    clairetomkinson84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. I will take all this on board. I have almost a year to train for it so I do have the time to get my fitness up.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. I will take all this on board. I have almost a year to train for it so I do have the time to get my fitness up.

It took me about 10 months to get towards being able to complete a half from scratch. I did the NHS Couch to 5K programme over 12 weeks, then followed up with about a month of consolidation bfore moving onto a 10K programme.

The 10K programme didn't really work for me, so rather than ontinue with it I moved onto a 10K improvement plan that had me doing long runs in excess of 10K, up to 17K, so I was doing that distance by the 9 month point. After another 5 months or so I'm now more formally training at HM distance and my time has come down a fair amount.

C25K is three to four runs a week, the 10K plan had me on 5 runs per week which I found a bit much, and I'm now back down to four.

All perfectly achievable. My first 10 mile time was about 1hr 40, it's now down to 1:25.