Lunch Ideas

Options
Hi all,

I need some fulfilling lunch ideas. It seems that between lunch and dinner, I am so hungry. I have tried simple snacks to curb it but it doesn't work and I usually find myself pigging out on everything in sight. So I was thinking, I need to eat a more fulfililng lunch or a more fulfilling snack. Any ideas?? Thanks

Replies

• rlucas1972
    Options
    I have found that fruits like bananas and apples do a nice job of curbing my hunger. Fiber One bars are good, too. Also, drink a lot of water as this can help your body feel fuller in between meals.
  • gripperdo
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein! Do a search for high protein foods, and work from there! I always find that I am more fulfilled if the protein is high in a snack--my fave is the Clif Builder's Bars. They pack a whopping 20 protein points per bar--that is about 5-6X higher than most snack bars. Good luck!
  • cjnorman
    Options
    Seems like fruit does nothing for me. So I usually go with celery and peanut butter as a snack. Protein and fiber help fill me up. Back when I was eating gluten I always needed a really high fiber cereal or I couldn't make it to lunch.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    1. Soup--the high water content and heat really helps to satisfy
    2. spicy food--capsaicin (the thing that makes peppers spicy) will stay in your mouth long after the food is gone, so your brain with think that you'd just eaten hours later.
    3. High-fiber food--Salads, broccoli, etc. (steaming vegetables also makes them more satisfying)
    4. Fats and protein--don't leave 'em out! Protein especially helps keep you full... just eating turkey deli meat slices works for me.
    5. Chickpeas--I ate some of these yesterday and couldn't stand the thought of more food long after.
    6. Tea--hot beverages fill you up well, too
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't eatin much @ all for your lunch. Try eatin a salad with 2 hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken and ff itilian dressing.
  • qtrhrsewoman
    Options
    I tend to eat a really large amount of salad at lunch. I buy the kind that has an herb mix in it, and don't have a problem eating without dressing, which I know can be hard for some folks. But it works for me and keeps me pretty full. I also drink the majority of my water in the afternoon and that seems to help with hunger pains. As far as my snacks go, I go for apples in the afternoon, and put it off until as late as I can between 3 and 4 usually. I know we are all different in our eating habits, but maybe some of my stuff will work for you.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    A broth-based soup and half a sandwich (I like turkey and avocado on whole wheat bread) keeps me nice and full. Have you tried having a nice fulfilling breakfast? I often find that if I have a hearty breakfast, I'm more fulfilled the rest of the day - and the reverse is true as well. If I skip breakfast, or have a dinky breakfast, then I'm hungry all day long. I find that oatmeal with bananas will keep me going all day. I also like to have an egg with whole wheat toast and spinach if I know I've got a long day ahead of me.

I like having a big salad for lunch with chicken, salmon, or grilled tofu and lots of fixings (garbanzo or fava beans, cucumbers, beets, carrots, celery, tomatoes, etc...).

Grilled chicken with brown rice and steamed veggies is very fulfilling as well.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There's a chance not eating enough fiber. It fills you up. If your not eating often enough[3-4 hrs] this drops your sugar level and you will eat everything in sight before signal reaches your brain that it has had enough. So eat a good breakfest,snack about 10am,lunch,snack 3pm & dinner this keeps body and sugar level balanced.Good luck!:wink:
    P.S. each meal should be around 300-400 calories. snack,fruit,veggies,cheese &crackers,peanut butter around 150 cals.:smile:
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    A broth-based soup and half a sandwich (I like turkey and avocado on whole wheat bread) keeps me nice and full. Have you tried having a nice fulfilling breakfast? I often find that if I have a hearty breakfast, I'm more fulfilled the rest of the day - and the reverse is true as well. If I skip breakfast, or have a dinky breakfast, then I'm hungry all day long. I find that oatmeal with bananas will keep me going all day. I also like to have an egg with whole wheat toast and spinach if I know I've got a long day ahead of me.

I like having a big salad for lunch with chicken, salmon, or grilled tofu and lots of fixings (garbanzo or fava beans, cucumbers, beets, carrots, celery, tomatoes, etc...).

Grilled chicken with brown rice and steamed veggies is very fulfilling as well.

Thanks everyone ....

Yes I have to eat breakfast, and usually a good fulfilling one, everyday because I do morning boot camps. Its the lunch and inbetween where my problem lies.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I take a sandwich round and spread 1 tbsp of low fat
    Thousand Island Dressing on it. I then add smoked turkey breast one thin slice of provolone cheese. I top it with a little drained sour kraut and put it in the oven for about 15 minutes. It is very filling and very good!
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    1/2 a cup of grabanzo beans (drained from the can)
    1/2 an avacado
    1 serving of meat - I usually do chicken or ham

It's a great protein and fiber blast at lunch, with a hard boiled egg as a snack, and maybe a small fruit.
  • Calicoskies
    Calicoskies Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love ballpark smoked white turkey dogs. Only 45 cals each and 6g protein. I eat 2 sliced and micro'd for lunch and dipped in mustard and 1oz of LF cheddar shreds. I add half cup of chili beans or navy beans and have a yogurt or applesauce fo dessert and that lunch holds me 4-5 hr.

Another fave lunch is tuna made with Greek yogurt and LF mayo with high fiber crackers, cheese stick and carrots.
  • ILoveFlorida
    Options
    I have the same problem and I have tried the Target brand Nutrition Bar - Fudge Graham, they have 14 grams of protien and are very tasty, I just went back to Target yesterday to buy more and I bought another flavor - Chocolate Peanut Butter, I haven't tried those yet so I am not sure if they are as good as the Fudge Graham
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm eating filled Pitta breads - I have 2 small round wholewheat ones & fill them with salad & boiled egg & some sort of a meat. I usually have them with fruit & water - on the odd occasion I might have a tea. One of these days I'll turn into a Pitta Bread. There are no facilities to heat soup here in work & I never like it from a thermos so I try & avoid heading into restaurants because there is too much temptation so end up with Pitta for lunch every day :drinker: :yawn: it does keep me full but I still get a little peckish about 4pm
  • naomihandler
    naomihandler Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've just recently added brown rice to my lunches and I have noticed a large difference. I have been making different stir frys. Yesterday I had 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (160 calories), 2 ounces skinless chicken breast (60 calories), 1 cup red pepper and onions (35) and I cooked it in low sodium vegetable brooth (1 cup 15 calories). Total calories: 270. It was really good and kept me full until 3:50. Other options are using shrimp, broccoli, spinach, beans, salsa, etc.
  • lindsay03811
    Options
    I love ballpark smoked white turkey dogs. Only 45 cals each and 6g protein. I eat 2 sliced and micro'd for lunch and dipped in mustard and 1oz of LF cheddar shreds. I add half cup of chili beans or navy beans and have a yogurt or applesauce fo dessert and that lunch holds me 4-5 hr.

Another fave lunch is tuna made with Greek yogurt and LF mayo with high fiber crackers, cheese stick and carrots.

Is chili bad for you? Or what type of beans? -- and do you eat tuna as is, or fix it up?
  • lindsay03811
    Options
    I'm eating filled Pitta breads - I have 2 small round wholewheat ones & fill them with salad & boiled egg & some sort of a meat. I usually have them with fruit & water - on the odd occasion I might have a tea. One of these days I'll turn into a Pitta Bread. There are no facilities to heat soup here in work & I never like it from a thermos so I try & avoid heading into restaurants because there is too much temptation so end up with Pitta for lunch every day :drinker: :yawn: it does keep me full but I still get a little peckish about 4pm

PITA BREAD.. Where can you find these?
  • hannyt
    hannyt Posts: 33
    Options
    can't go wrong with a turkey sandwich on wheat and an apple :) it's simple and fills me up!
  • lindsay03811
    Options
    I've just recently added brown rice to my lunches and I have noticed a large difference. I have been making different stir frys. Yesterday I had 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (160 calories), 2 ounces skinless chicken breast (60 calories), 1 cup red pepper and onions (35) and I cooked it in low sodium vegetable brooth (1 cup 15 calories). Total calories: 270. It was really good and kept me full until 3:50. Other options are using shrimp, broccoli, spinach, beans, salsa, etc.

I hear contreversy on the rice... should it be included in a diet or not? I see so many options that could make my food a little more pleasant to eat if I included the rice.
  • sarah29may
    Options
    I have the same problem with snacking between lunch and dinner. Sometimes, I will move my workouts to that time for awhile and it seems to help. You could also try protein shakes as a snack. I like the Apex chocolate meal replacement shakes and usually blend them with a little milk, ice, and sometimes add in a banana or peanut butter. They take awhile to eat which helps to fill me up.