Heel pain while jogging

Options
Hi I just started a c25k program on the treadmill. I am 5 ft 5in and weigh 169 lb. I am not running fast... The fastest is 7.1 kmph (4.4 mph) but I have started feeling a pain at then bottom of my heel. The days I do the run for longer and if I go 1-2 days without it eases up. i saw a podiatrist who said it's because my feet are not used to this level of impact.
I don't want to stop though cause I have some good momentum going.
Anyone who has been through this before? Do I just persevere and hope that the pain will go away as I lose some weight?
Thanks for your advice.

Replies

• macrotracko
    macrotracko Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues when I first started running. They were resolved by getting new shoes and minding my form. Sounds like you might be striking your heels. Ideally your foot should fall between the ball and midfoot. Search youtube for some running form videos, and if you don't have good shoes made specifically for running then you'll need to get some.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It does happen a lot when you first start running, it does take a while for your feet to get used to it. Like the above poster said, just make sure you have a nice set of sneakers, and practice your running form.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Consider adding lower body stretching after your runs. Stretches for your achilles, calf, and plantar fascia as well. A little compression and some ice can come in handy, too. If you need it, ibuprophen or naproxen on occassion can help.

Running is a series of aches and pains that you figure out how to avoid or manage. Just stick with it. Don't get discouraged.

I was 40 and your same height/weight stats when I started running. I'm pretty solid muscle wise so I won't share my "not awesome" scale weight, but I wear a loose size 6 in most things. Running and strength work have been wonderful!!

Everything hurt when I started and I was slow. Now, I hurt the day of a race/long run, but I'm placing in my age group. Be persistent!!! It pays off.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    1) Don't skimp on shoes. Go to a running shoe store and get fitted and get an analysis of what kinds of shoes you need. (You might need to move to a shoe with more or less cushioning and/or drop).
    2) Check out some YouTube videos on low impact, forefoot strike, and/or chi running. All of these are minor variations on the same idea. Lean forward at your ankles and aim for a hitting the ground more gently and on your forefoot. I have found that a forefoot or midfoot strike is difficult for me on a treadmill, even though it is how I run outside.
    3) Try running outside instead. For a couple of reasons a) See reason above about form, may not or may not effect you, but it makes a difference for me. b) You will use different muscles for outdoor running, it will be a little harder, but it will better prepare you for doing something like running a race. Also, running speed happens on a spectrum relating to fatigue and environment. When you start to get tired on a treadmill it will keep moving you, outside you can regulate your own pace better. (Though, unrelated to your heel pain)
    4) Does it hurt during a run or after? Is it worse in the morning? If you are getting pain first thing in the morning, or within a few hours of being done with your run it could be PF, in which case, there are lots of stretches/exercises that will help.

Keep it up and good luck with your progress! I started on C25K, and now I am training for a 50K, unfortunately they don't make a C250K, haha.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Lots of different things. The most common are bursitis and plantar fascistic. . . The former can be mitigated by getting PROPERLY fitted (back of the heel discomfort is usually from a shoe with too much heel / drop) and stretching the Achilles and soleus The latter is more of a crapshoot and just has to resolve over time. There are stretches than can help, NSAIDs, but it also goes back to wearing proper shoes-- that fit.
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    Do you have a good pair of running shoes? I'm surprised the podiatrist didn't do a little bit more investigative work. A good pair of running shoes is essential just like having a good bicycle is essential for a cyclist.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Shoes. Shoes. Shoes. Shoes.
  • kyedo
    kyedo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Definately start with the shoes, if you did not do that from the beginning. Getting properly fitted at a running store will help you greatly, also an excellent way to meet other folks in your local running community.
    The folks at the running store should be able to get you into a shoe that properly supports the way you run; so if you are a heel striker they can get you into a shoe that is more supportive of that time of running. Money well spent!!

A good stretching routine can also help. I have always had tight achilles, and it seemed to lead to some heel pain, I notice that when I keeped them stretched the heel pain is not as apparent.

I always used a soda bottle that was partially filled with water and then placed in the freezer, to roll under my heel. It really helped ease some of the inflamation; just dont leave it on for a long time(I went on 5 off 5)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    3) Try running outside instead. For a couple of reasons a) See reason above about form, may not or may not effect you, but it makes a difference for me. b) You will use different muscles for outdoor running, it will be a little harder, but it will better prepare you for doing something like running a race. Also, running speed happens on a spectrum relating to fatigue and environment. When you start to get tired on a treadmill it will keep moving you, outside you can regulate your own pace better. (Though, unrelated to your heel pain)
    Oh. Right. This too. I missed that part. There's a reason they're called "dread"mills. . . :)
  • mmredd100
    mmredd100 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    With all of the above postings already being correct, I have to add that I myself had/have the same problems so I can vouch for their advice. I am about the 6th week in to the C25K and recently got fitted for shoes. I went and they watched me walk and run and measured my feet for proper running shoes. Getting fitted could help, they told me a lot that helped. If your feet turn in you could need a shoe that supports that. Best 200$ I've spent. I have flat feet and plantar fac. I feel pain in my heels and sometimes the outer sides of my feet. The salesman at the shoe store told me that I have proper form so I didn't need a support and stability shoe but he showed me stretches as well and ever since I have been stretching and massaging my calves before running it has helped a lot. Afterwards I do the same stretches and sometimes roll out on a foam roller. Sometimes I will roll my feet on a frozen bottle of water and that helps too. I am completely opposite though I see the pain outdoors running on concrete rather than the treadmill.

I was running in a regular pair of nikes and I could barely stand up after the workout was finished. In my new shoes it feels like I am running on air. Only time I ever notice pain anymore is when I don't properly stretch my lower legs beforehand. Might seem expensive but running without pain is totally worth the 200$ especially if you want to continue on after the C25k training is complete!

If you do go get fitted for shoes (where I went it was free to get fitted and get advice, the 200$ came from purchasing the pair of shoes and two pairs of socks) make sure to wear the shoes that you are currently wearing. They told me a lot about the current shoe I was in and what it was doing to my feet while running in them. I no longer wear them any more unless its for leisure.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone going and getting properly fitted for good running shoes is a big help. You're probably also a heel-striker as you run. That will cause much bigger problems down the line (who needs knees). I had the exact same problem as you only I sucked up the heel pain. I started getting bad shin splints and then runner's knee.

But I made one change to how I run and magically all problems went away. Try to keep your cadence, or how often your foot hits the ground, at 170-190 steps per minute. That forces your foot to land on your mid-foot and not your heel, which will allow your foot to absorb the shock as it is designed to do.

As far as learning to run at that cadence, your best bet is to find some music that has a beat of 170-190 beats per minute and practice running with your foot hitting the ground at every beat. 85-95 beats per minute songs work too, just remember to have either your right or left foot (whatever is easier) hit at every beat.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Shoes, frozen water bottle to roll your foot or feet on, maybe slow your pace, stretches. I had or have PF and since I got new shoes, stretched before and after and if I feel any pain, I use the water bottle, I haven't had any issues thank goodness.

Horrible pain! I also think you have to work through some of it, but not to the point of an injury! Good luck!