Gout because of to much purines / protein

Options
Well past few days my big toe has been hurting ... googling lol found gout can be caused by eating to many purines... purines are found in Foods with very high purine levels(up to 1,000 mg per 3.5 ounce serving): Anchovies, Brains, Gravies, Kidneys,Liver, Sardines, Sweetbreads
Foods with high and moderately high purine levels(5-100 mg per 3.5 ounce serving): Asparagus, Bacon, Beef, Bluefish, Bouillon, Calf tongue, Carp, Cauliflower, Chicken, Chicken soup, Codfish, Crab, Duck, Goose, Halibut, Ham, Kidney beans, Lamb, Lentils, Lima beans, Lobster, Mushrooms, Mutton, Navy beans, Oatmeal, Oysters, Peas, Perch, Pork, Rabbit, Salmon, Sheep, Shellfish, Snapper, Spinach, Tripe, Trout, Tuna, Turkey, Veal, Venison... so basically protein well damn... what do I do now... still googling to see if I can take something that will help break down purines better... any suggestions??

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor diagnosis via Google is not accurate. If you have got gout. I have it, getting the right medication if needed is important to reduce inflammation and possible long term damage to the joint. Avoiding certain foods can reduce the likelihood of attacks but sometimes they're is no obvious trigger. I'm a vegan so a large number of the so called trigger foods I don't eat and I still get attacks according to my doctor some times the raised uric acid levels that cause gout have no obvious cause
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Certainly agree with fatdoob, get a proper diagnosis first.

Apart from normal trigger food, which can be high in uric acid, problematic food for gout is anything high in fructose.

When the liver has a lot of fructose to process the body uric acid levels spike and the fructose decreases uric acid excreation.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Agree that you need a proper diagnosis and may need medication depending on how severe and often the attacks are. Typically the shellfish/red meat products you've listed are more likely to bring on an attack than the vegetables, alcohol is a big trigger for many sufferers, and sugarload and dehydration as previously mentioned.

My other half has it and is just getting over an attack. His triggers normally are overdoing the alcohol and eating too much red meat. However, his latest attack has been caused by antiviral medication given for a recent bout of shingles which has messed up his levels, he didn't drink any alcohol at all while ill and taking the antivirals.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A hurting big toe can be caused by gout, yes, but also:

- mechanical injury eg. stubbed toe, tight shoes
    - arthritis, both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis
    - infection
    - diabetic foot pain
    - ingrowing nail
    - peripheral neuropathy
    - bunions
    -bursitis
    - osteomyelitis
    - Paget's Disease of the bone
    - Tarsal tunnel syndrome

I'm sure that with your amazing Google skills you can find more. Just go see a doctor.
  • GeoffTTaylor
    GeoffTTaylor Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've got gout, and after 3 years I still don't know what my particular trigger is (if I have one single trigger at all). A friend of mine swears that his attacks are triggered by orange juice, so go figure. I've cut out seafood and sweatbreads, but I still like my beer & meat.

I had a minor attack yesterday which I think might have been caused, in part, by becoming too dehydrated - I've started doing the "Insanity" workouts and maybe I'm not drinking enough water.

A medical diagnosis is important, because then you can get the right meds. I'm on Allopurinol daily as a preventative. But what I also have is some anti-inflammatories on stand-by. If you act very quickly when an attack starts by drinking loads of water and taking some anti-inflamms, it's possible to stop the attack progressing to the really painful stage

As others have said, you need to get checked by your doctor.
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor. My mum had a brush with it recently and it turned out to be a side effect of a blood pressure med she was on. Not saying stop taking meds, but definitely see a doctor.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You need to see your doctor.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    also drink lots of water and keep your foot elevated
  • LizzyMae71
    LizzyMae71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone have appt wednesday morning will be asking dr to check blood work to see if that can tell what is wrong with toe... and if he can give suggestions to how to treat and definitely prevent...