Your thoughts & advice pls :)

Options
Hi I have been on a health kick for about 2 months, eating approx 1400 cals a day (I'm currently 11stone3 and 5'5"). Only exercise was an aerobics type class and an hours walking abt 3 times a week, and I managed to lose 8lbs. I decided to up my exercise and for the last 3 weeks I have been doing metafit and legs bums n tums class approx 4 times a week. Since starting this I have not lost a single pound ! I do feel better, not so lethargic etc and my clothes fit better but I don't know if this is down to the 8lbs I lost or perhaps losing inches because of the excersing (i never measured myself unfortunately). I would appreciate and advice you can give me. Thankyou :)

Replies

• BrittanyMG3
    BrittanyMG3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Maybe your muscles are holding water from working out so much! If you're losing inches and your clothes feel looser than I'm sure the scale will catch up with you soon! :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    New exercise or upping the intensity will cause water retention for up to 4 weeks.

Don't stress it, just drink some more water and it will go away.
  • CatherineKelly22
    Options
    Thanks Brittany. I'm not sure if I am losing inches though, or if my clothes only feel better due to the 8lbs lost before I upped the exercise.
  • CatherineKelly22
    Options
    Cheers, do you think I will lose weight, or gain ?? This is a mine field for me lol :)
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged by the numbers on the scale moving after all that work! You said that you are feeling much better since increasing your exercise, and that clothes are fitting better and all that, and that's what it really should come down to. You may be building a little bit of muscle ever since increasing your exercise, muscle weighs more than fat dense wise so you could be losing inches of fat and gaining muscle which is offsetting any "weight loss." You should focus more one how you look and feel rather than the number on the scale, because if you feel great and are fitting into clothes better anyway, then why worry about what the scale says? It may not always be right. For instance, my goal weight is 15 pounds lighter than I am right now, but there's no way that I'll reach that because I don't have 15 pounds of fat on me. So rather than making myself get down to that weight, I'm just focusing on getting rid of the little fat that I have and accepting what weight I will be at when I do. Keep up your hard work and don't worry about the scale too much, you're doing awesome! :D
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    metabolically speaking , the reality is you are going to do both , gain some muscle mass, and lose some fat, they wont 100% be equal, but as you more than likely have more Fat mass than LBM you may notice the fit of clothing changing more than the reflected numbers on a scale.

the best advice is to keep at it , give it 4 weeks before you try to evaluate results.

its not turning around a lawnmower - its more like turning an oceanliner. a little slower, and you just have to give it time.
  • CatherineKelly22
    Options
    Thankyou so much guys. It makes total sense when explained. I really wouldn't care how much I weighed, as long as I can see my body shape changing and getting rid of the fat. I think I'll ditch the scales for now and just concentrate on the exercise. Thankyou for your advice, I really appreciate it x
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you're strictly looking to lose weight, you need to focus on your food intake, not your exercise. That's secondary for weight loss. Calorie restriction to lose weight, fitness and exercise to tone up and get strong.
  • CatherineKelly22
    Options
    I'm on approx 1400 cals per day, maybe less some days, plus cals burned from the exercise that I dont use for food. So I feel my intake is ok, and dont eat anything over 5g of fat per 100g (Rosemary Conley diet). I just assumed that added exercise along with restricted calories.....the weight would drop off . Haha silly me :)
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Don't just weigh take measurements, sometimes you can gain weight but be loosing inches, as you are toning your body.
  • CatherineKelly22
    Options
    I will Michelle, thanks. Iv also taken some photos - I am a pear !!