Calorie Defecit

Options
tazzle77
tazzle77 Posts: 9 Member
Hi All

I am just starting MFP - have 28lbs to lose. Can people advise what is best to do re: Calorie deficits? Say for example i have a max of 1500 calories a day - one day i have 1700 the next 1300 as long as I am under my entire calories for the week - do you/can you lose weight?...what do most people on here do? stick to the strict daily amounts? or just make sure they are under for the week?

Replies

• gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am in week 21 and I hit goal a few weeks ago. I stayed as close to my calorie goal for the day as possible. That's not to say that I didn't go under some days and over on others, but I was within 50 calories of my plan. That was what worked for me. Even though I was consistent with calories and work outs per week, my weight loss was not consistent. I would go up a little some weeks, but be patient, the weight will come off. I am 52 so my loss was probably affected by hormones etc... GOOD LUCK!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I look at weekly totals for everything. It's too difficult for me to make every day be spot on in every area. These links may answer some of your questions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Welcome

Strikes me people have different approaches on here - some stick as close as they can to their daily calorie targets - others do it on a weekly average. Depends on what fits into their lifestyle.
    Some things I have learned:

i) - there are now Brownie points for consistently being under your targets

ii) Targets are just that - the world (or your journey to healthier living) will not grind to a stop if you go a little under or over at any point.

iii) If you have set your calorie goals based on 'sedentary' or 'lightly active' and take more exercise than those suggest then you should eat back at least some of the extra calories burned - mfp will have set your deficit based on the level of exercise you have told it that you do - consistently do more and you need to eat more, consistently do less and you need to adjust your profile settings. But mfp often overestimates calories burned so it is probably unwise to eat all of them if using their database - half is what lots of people seem to aim for.

Enjoy your journey - eating food that you have carefully planned and prepared is, in my opinion, so much more enjoyable than the mindless nibbling that got me to this point. Weigh, measure, log and enjoy good food and fun activities and you will reach your goals
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight based solely on calories in vs calories out, so going by a weekly average is fine. MFP has your goal set with a deficit in place already so eating under your recommended 1500 per day - or being under your weekly average - can end up being counterproductive. (Leading to binge eating, etc.) That also means eating back whatever exercise calories you use, or at least half of them as the MFP database tends to run these numbers a little high. Here's a really good read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

The best advice I can give is to not let MFP's red vs green numbers at the end of the day mess with your head. Being too far in the green day after day can mean you are undereating but being just a little bit in the red doesn't mean you had a bad day and you'll start gaining weight again. You still be in a deficit and will be taking in less calories than are going out.

Best of luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    both...I look at my daily and weekly.

If I am under too much on my weekly on Friday I make sure I make up for it on the weekend.

I try to hit my daily goals or get as close to them as possible without feeling deprived or stuffed.

Works well.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    trial and error - try both ways, maybe even find a new way that suits you.

There's the option of 5:2 intermittent fasting.

What works for one person may not work for another.

You will eventually find what works best for you.

Good luck.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I tend to look at it weekly. Some days I just don't hit my goal for a variety of reasons.
  • SemiP
    SemiP Posts: 2
    Options
    i'm in the same boat have 30lbs to take off i started yesterday.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Myself I find it easier to stick to my 1500 calories daily. Its easier for me as I prep my meals, unless I splurge 1 daily and I'll just readjust the daily amount the next day.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump