Is it okay to miss my workout twice in a row?

Options
Yesterday I didn't workout because I was studying and today I have so much studying to do that I think I might have to skip today two, But today I ate two mini chocolate bars and the guilt is killing me. Is it okay to skip today even though I ate those bars? (They were 138 calories total)

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    The answer is obviously yes :)

when people ask something like this, it seems to me that they have the mindset that this is really a short term thing.

If you have the mindset that excercise and being health is an ongoing process throughout life, it becomes obvious that, when necessary, its not the end of the world to skip a work out.

or two, so long as you come back to it
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yeah its OK - but next time, wake up a little earlier and do a quick work out - it will probably help improve your focus for your studies and relieve some stress.
  • eklavon84
    eklavon84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've learned skipping one is ok, but after skipping the second it is SOOOO hard to get going again...Maybe not your normal workout but I would do something maybe on your study brk??
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. Yes you can skip a few workouts. Just make sure you remain consistent.

There has been several times I didn't and still do not workout for two, sometimes three days in a row. Ive been consistent since October of last year and hasn't stumped my progress.

This is a life long thing so for me I feel absolutely no guilt not working out everyday when I do not feel up to it or life happens. But, hey that's just me. lol
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's fine. Just make sure you pick back up. Life happens!
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    10 minutes of HIIT training will do your brain good... making you feel better about not skipping AND priming your brain for learning. Aerobic exercise makes it easier to learn and retain information by creating new connections between your neurons.

Now get off MFP and make good use of your time :)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - you can workout while you study. Most folks can only concentrate on something for twenty minutes or so before you get into diminishing returns, so taking a break between 20 minute study blocks can help you get more out of your study time.

- break your revision up with 20 mins study - 10 burpees - another 20 minutes study - 10 pressups - 20 mins - 10 australian pullups - and so on.
  • nogoodworkouts
    Options
    Maybe take a quick walk around your neighborhood as a study break or to help you digest after dinner, 30-45 minutes and you will burn about 250-300 calories and help you get some fresh air.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I took a rest day yesterday and gained four pounds overnight. I'm not going to be doing any rest days for awhile.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Today..i couldn't go to the gym... so I decided to walk for two hours instead... just because you can't do one thing.. you can always find time to do another... even if it means just walking around in a big circle...
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The answer is obviously yes :)

when people ask something like this, it seems to me that they have the mindset that this is really a short term thing.

If you have the mindset that excercise and being health is an ongoing process throughout life, it becomes obvious that, when necessary, its not the end of the world to skip a work out.

or two, so long as you come back to it

Honestly this is the best answer.... i have read...
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I took a rest day yesterday and gained four pounds overnight. I'm not going to be doing any rest days for awhile.

No. lol... You cannot gain 4lbs overnight... you would have to eat 14000 calories to gain 4lbs. lol..unless you ate 14000 calories then yes you could gain that. And it would have to be past your maintenance calories as well. Sometimes I eat foods with a lot of sodium, heavy meats, wine, and may fluctuate a few lbs. Give it a few days and you should be back down to your current weight before the 4lbs...
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    It's ok to miss a few workouts, consistency is the key. You won't undo all of your results from missing a week or two.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do you really think missing a couple of days here an there is going to make any difference in the grand scheme? Take a step back and look at the bigger picture here. Ultimately, consistency is the key...but **** happens and nobody is on 100% of the time. As another poster stated, your fitness is a life long endeavor...in the grand scheme of your life, missing a couple workouts here and there really is completely and totally irrelevant so long as overall you are being consistent long term.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

that's not how it works...
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Yes, school should be a priority as well as your health. You can always just make up for it tomorrow or just cut the calories from another meal to compensate the candy bars.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I didn't workout because I was studying and today I have so much studying to do that I think I might have to skip today two, But today I ate two mini chocolate bars and the guilt is killing me. Is it okay to skip today even though I ate those bars? (They were 138 calories total)

I think the bigger issue is that you feel guilty about eating 2 mini chocolate bars at 138 calories total. You shouldn't feel guilty about eating anything. 2 chocolate bars aren't going to undo your progress unless you eat them all day every day. Last week I ate 3/4 a pint of Talenti Hazelnut. I didn't feel guilty, I went over my calories, and I was okay. In fact I weigh less this week than last week.

If eating food, even chocolate, makes you feel guilty you may need to re-evaluate your relationship with food.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

that's not how it works...

are you sure she isn't being facetious?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Hmmm with this logic yesterday I went on a 32 mile bike ride, and my weight is up 2 lbs this morning... should I quit riding my bike? Or maybe understand that weight fluctuates and just move on.

OP if you feel guilt over 138 calories you really need to reevaluate your relationship with food. Good luck