Does "fruit sugar" count towards your daily sugar intake?

Options

Replies

• toholio
    toholio Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So to everyone saying we should jot eat white sugar. I ask why not?

I think it's mostly a reaction to a lot of people who do have a problem with the level of sugar in their diets, or who consume sugar at the expense of other nutrients, or who have a warped idea of how sweet foods need to be, etc. It's also a bit of a "fat is evil" moment except it's "sugar is evil" with the same misunderstanding of what "sugar" actually is.

Obviously adding sucrose to your coffee isn't going to make you drop dead (and isn't worse than sucrose from other sources) but for a lot of people they'd be better off getting the same sweetness and energy intake from something that also contains other nutrients.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    MFP does not distinguish between fructose and sucrose, so it all gets lumped together in your chart. Your body does not react the same to them. Sugar is not sugar when you're diabetic. You can read up on it here.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/sugar-fruit-bad-you-3928.html

Fruit contains a natural sugar called fructose. Unlike sucrose, or table sugar, fructose does not cause abrupt fluctuations in your blood sugar levels because your body digests it more slowly than sucrose, according to researchers of a study published in 2008 in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition," who added that diabetics are often advised to use fructose as an energy source because it may aid glycemic control. Fruits that taste sweeter, such as cherries or peaches, generally have more natural sugar in them, while more tart fruits, including lemons or avocados, have less, but few fruits contain enough sugar to make them bad for you ...
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    So to everyone saying we should not eat white sugar. I ask why not?

I track my calories and macros. Target my carbs, which sugar is and eat at a deficit. Are you saying adding sugar to my coffee is harming me? It's detrimental to achieving my goals?

It's not about not eating it but being aware just how much "added" white sugar is put into foods. A packet of sugar with coffee is not going to kill you or be that bad (unless you are drinking like 20 cups of coffee a day with sugar). Just be aware a lot of foods have insanely high amounts of refined sugar and if you can limit that it is better.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options

I track my calories and macros. Target my carbs, which sugar is and eat at a deficit. Are you saying adding sugar to my coffee is harming me? It's detrimental to achieving my goals?

It's not about not eating it but being aware just how much "added" white sugar is put into foods. A packet of sugar with coffee is not going to kill you or be that bad (unless you are drinking like 20 cups of coffee a day with sugar). Just be aware a lot of foods have insanely high amounts of refined sugar and if you can limit that it is better.

Sorry but but I will continue to add 2 sugar packets to my coffee. Eat my white flour tortillas and ice cream for desert daily. My friends Moderation and dicipline are stronger than that evil sugar guy. Limit refined sugars, why? Why if I'm able to target my daily goals with no problem?

Where did I say adding a packet or so to coffee is a horrible thing to do? Please read a post before responding. My whole post was about moderation, which from what I gather or your last response is your position too.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

nobody is saying you shouldn't. Eat whatever works for you. I choose to avoid refined/processed sugar, and food with that sort of thing added to it. I don't have to worry about tracking calories or macros & eat as much as I want, still losing weight.
  • amandaadine
    amandaadine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I measure my fruits every day. 1/2 cup constitutes a serving. Berries have some of the lowest sugar count so that is a go to every day. I manage to keep my sugars below the recommended amount when I eat not only the proper amount of fruit but am conscious of the other sugars I take in during the day. For example, 1/2 blueberries is just over 7 grams. 1/2 cup of apple is 7.5. 1/2 cup of peach is about 7.5. 1/2 cup of grapes are about 11.5. 1/2 cup of banana is 9 grams. The key is to measure to get the accurate serving. I've found that a small apple is about 3/4 cup which is a serving and a half. If I have 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1/2 cup of peach and 1/2 cup of apple I've only gotten in almost 23 grams which allows for another 17 grams to get to 40 which is what I tend to eat. Veggies, especially greens, should be a large part of your day which helps to minimize the sugar. Keep away from marinades, sauces and white bread and you should be fine.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Burke and Hare would be proud of your first post contribution!!! lol

With you on the veggies.

:smile:
  • eklavon84
    eklavon84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    YES, Sugar is sugar yes, but the fruit sugar is not as bad as table sugar, I use my own math...I cut the fruit sugar in 1/2 mentally to know where my body is; I am a diet controlled diabetic, and this is what works for me and my body. Remember sugar turns into carbs and carbs like to store as fat in the body.
  • adjadj83
    adjadj83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I researched this and the answer is no. The gram limit is for "Added" sugar like in sodas and cereal. However, too much sugar from fruit will slow fat loss because it will be used for fuel instead of stored fat. Here is a link to sugar content charts. Limit the high sugar fruits. http://janderson99.hubpages.com/hub/Food-Sugar-Content-Chart-in-Teaspoons-Cereals-Snacks-Fruit-Foods
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

nobody is saying you shouldn't. Eat whatever works for you. I choose to avoid refined/processed sugar, and food with that sort of thing added to it. I don't have to worry about tracking calories or macros & eat as much as I want, still losing weight.

Its great that you have found a way that works for you as well, but people shouldn't read this and suffer the misconception that avoiding refined/processed sugar is why you are losing weight, its because the way you are eating has you in calorific deficit whether you track them or not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Strong first post in a 3 year old thread.

Well, it's not like this topic had come up in the past 3 years!

;-)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    kirbsters wrote: »
    Sugar is not sugar! Although the apple and cookie are both vehicles for fructose, there are some important differences. First, the sugar in fruit is mixed together with fiber, a buffer that limits the amount of sugar that is absorbed. Junk food, on the other hand, is generally devoid of fiber, allowing the sugar unfettered access to the bloodstream. Take your sugar allotment column and subtract anything that is from whole, unprocessed foods.

Your body can't tell the difference between the sugar in fruit and the sugar in "junk food"
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Strong first post in a 3 year old thread.

Thread started in 2012, 5 years old! It's quite impressive that when searching for something to bump, this is what came up, amidst all the other sugar threads since!