Ice Cream Memories

Options
GiveMeCoffee
GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
Wrote this in my blog today but it's much easier to share the pictures on here :)

Today I decided to try my hand at making homemade ice cream, I haven't done this since I was a kid yes many many years ago. It's brought back some wonderful memories.

When I was growing up my mom ran a daycare out of our house, so there was always about 10-14 kids she got paid to watch in the house, than of course all of my brother and my friends. We had the swimming pool and pool table so it was the popular place to hang out.

Well every Friday in the summer my mom set up an obstacle course and it was making ice cream day. Not like I am doing now with an electric one, it was one of the old crank jobs. It would be an all afternoon event ending in one small scoop of ice cream on a cone.

We would all line up, you would have to do a short sprint, go take a turn cranking the ice cream until your arm was tired, jump over some short hurdles she set up, older kids had to swim a lap in the pool, and whatever other obstacle she put in place, and you would repeat.

For my mom it was a great inexpensive way to keep 20+ kids occupied all day and end with a treat, for us it was just pure fun.
So the ice cream I'm making now, there are no obstacles other than hoping it comes out okay, but the memories that it brought back will make it the best tasting creation I've had in a long time.

Today's creation was a success in many ways.

zlw4zc.png

Next time I make it I'm setting up an obstacle course outside :)

Replies

• bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    oh that looks sinful!!!!! enjoy!
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That looks awesome...and sounds like you have a pretty amazing mom. What a great story.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    :heart:

I want an ice cream maker-- I have fond childhood memories of making homemade ice cream too.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    :heart:

I want an ice cream maker-- I have fond childhood memories of making homemade ice cream too.

You need to get one so I can steal all your recipes! They are really cheap at Walmart :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    That looks awesome...and sounds like you have a pretty amazing mom. What a great story.

My mom is amazing :) Thanks!
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    O.M.G! Jen!!! Can I live with you!

And I love the background you gave! That's awesome!!

Ummmmm.... I think I'm gonna have to taste test some of dat!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    O.M.G! Jen!!! Can I live with you!

And I love the background you gave! That's awesome!!

Ummmmm.... I think I'm gonna have to taste test some of dat!!

Come on over you can share the spare room with the dog! :)
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh YUM! [Drooling now} :love:

Tonight, I'll make hubby his Honey Bun Cake that I promised him for Father's Day.

Cheers!
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I like this story. I like ice cream.

Thank you. :smile:
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oh, yumminess! :-)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member