Healthy fish recipes??

Options
I am not a big fish person but am willing to try some new recipes to see if I may stumble along something that I actually like. Any fish that isn't super fishy tasting would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/broiled-tilapia-with-mustard-chive-sauce-recipe.html

I've gotten people to eat fish with it. I use fat free greek yogurt and it's fine. I like that the sauce adds a protein boost, too.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Any of the meaty fishes make great stir frys - tuna, swordfish, marlin, shark. Cube the fish, fry it like chicken (although not as long), add various veggies, some low sodium soy sauce, some straight to wok noodles and chow down after a few minutes! Delicious.
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My go-to weeknight meal is blackened tilapia. I buy the individually packaged frozen fillets so I can thaw them as needed. I put a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet, sprinkle blackening seasoning on each side of the fillet and cook for about 5 minutes on each side on medium heat. Tilapia is a very mild white fish.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia and usually get frozen individual sizes from the grocery store. Defrost, add 1 tsp olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and squeeze whole lemon for about 4 - 4 oz. size fish. Pan sear/fry it for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Easy peezy.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I do love homemade fish tacos. So easy to do and yummy!

In a tortilla, put fish that you like (oven baked with a bit of olive oil or butter, salt, pepper and some herbs), plenty of onion slices sauteed with red bell peppers and of course, salsa sauce (your favourite)! Garnish with shredded lettuce and cheese. Enjoy!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Tilapia on the grill with some lemons, herbs and tsp of real butter. Put in a foil and cook for about 10 minutes on the side that has lower heat. I use a charcoal grill.
  • pharmgirl2567
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Guess I am going to get some tilapia at the store this week!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Just a word of the wise, since I worked at a fish market for quite some time that did cooking....Tilapia is definitely one of the milder fishes that you can find readily available. However, it can taste very very fishy if you do not remove the blood line before cooking it, so definitely remember to trim that off or have the person at the store do it for you.

Otherwise, I personally love Ahi/Saku Tuna (cooked medium rare or rare) with some sesame seeds, and a little wasabi or teriyaki sauce, they will both clear away any irony flavor from it, but definitely worth a try.

Some people say that Salmon can be very fishy, but that depends 100% on how it's prepared and how fresh it is. If you buy really fresh salmon, you won't tase the fishiness as much as one that has been frozen or purchased from a regular supermarket that doesn't go for the best quality.

If salmon is too fishy for your taste, take a look at King Salmon - it will be a bit pricer but it has a much more delicate flavor and tastes world's difference from regular or farm raised salmon.

Chilean Seabass is also very delicious, but expensive, and has a delicate buttery flavor to it.

here is a list of fish with flavors and textures that we had:

arctic Char: a distinctive flavor, somewhere between that of salmon and trout. Moderately firm meat with a finer flake than salmon or trout. A high fat content keeps it moist.

atlantic salmon: milder than that of the wild salmon species. The meat is moderately firm and oily, though not as fatty as the wild King salmon. It has a large, moist flake. It is farm-raised.

black Sea Bass: a small, plump fish related to grouper. It has a mild, fresh, somewhat delicate flavor and a tender but firm texture.

bluefish: a strong distinctive fish flavor. The oily meat is soft with large bluish gray flakes.

catfish: a consistently sweet, mild taste with a fresh water twang. The moist, dense meat is firm and has fewer flakes than typical whitefish. It is farm-raised

chilean Sea Bass: has a rich, melt – in – your – mouth flavor. The moderately oily meat is tender and moist with large, thick flakes.

flounder: is pure white, lean, thin, and flaky with a sweet flavor.

grouper it has sweet and mild flavor somewhere between bass and halibut with a firm moist texture.

haddock: a delicate flake and slightly sweet taste give it a wonderful, melt – in – the – mouth appeal. The lean meat has a firm yet tender texture, and the flake is finer than cod.

halibut: a very mild, sweet – tasting, lean fish with fine – grained, and dense meat. The snow – white meat is flaky and tender though still firm.

king Salmon: has a pronounced, buttery, rich taste. Its oily, flaky, flesh is softer than that of other wild salmon species.

lemon Sole: the meat is pure white, lean, boneless, and flaky with a mild flavor.

mako Shark: is moist and slightly sweet, with a full – bodied, meaty taste. Both flavor and texture are similar to swordfish, but the flesh of mako is moister, and the meat is not as sweet.

ocean Perch: is mild tasting yet a bit sweet, with a moderately firm texture. The meat is lean, moist and flaky.

rainbow Trout: is mild, with a delicate, nut – like flavor. The flesh is tender, flaky and soft. When the meat is cooked, it has a delicate flake and the color pales. We serve it whole. It is farm-raised

red Snapper: is lean and moist, with a sweetly mild, distinctive flavor. The semi-firm texture is lean but moist. The American Red Snapper is second to none.

scrod (aka baby cod): the lean meat has a mild, clean flavor and large, tender flakes. It’s less firm than haddock and sweeter than Pacific cod.

swordfish: is moist and flavorful with a slightly sweet taste. Steaks have moderately high oil content, lending to a firm, meaty texture.

tilapia: The mild, sweet tasting, lean – meated tilapia has a slightly firm, flaky texture. Water quality and feed are critical to the raising of premium tilapia. It is farm-raised

yellowfin tuna: has a mild, meaty flavor similar to swordfish. It is firm but moist, with large flakes. Yellowfin is also served raw as sashimi and in sushi.

Hope this helps!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I recommend grilling it outside so it doesn't stink up your house. And Potlatch seasoning from Williams-Sonoma.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love to take a hearty (wild caught) whitefish and rub it with a mix of cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cardamom, and a bit of chili pepper and then pan sear it in a little olive oil for a few minute each side.

I serve it with an orange-avocado salsa. Just take the segments of 1 orange, a diced avocado, thinly sliced red onion, 1/2 jalapeno (seeded and minced), a few tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro, and then some lime juice salt and pepper. mix it all up and then top on the fish.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    BUMP :bigsmile: :glasses:
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Just a word of the wise, since I worked at a fish market for quite some time that did cooking....Tilapia is definitely one of the milder fishes that you can find readily available. However, it can taste very very fishy if you do not remove the blood line before cooking it, so definitely remember to trim that off or have the person at the store do it for you.

Otherwise, I personally love Ahi/Saku Tuna (cooked medium rare or rare) with some sesame seeds, and a little wasabi or teriyaki sauce, they will both clear away any irony flavor from it, but definitely worth a try.

Some people say that Salmon can be very fishy, but that depends 100% on how it's prepared and how fresh it is. If you buy really fresh salmon, you won't tase the fishiness as much as one that has been frozen or purchased from a regular supermarket that doesn't go for the best quality.

If salmon is too fishy for your taste, take a look at King Salmon - it will be a bit pricer but it has a much more delicate flavor and tastes world's difference from regular or farm raised salmon.

Chilean Seabass is also very delicious, but expensive, and has a delicate buttery flavor to it.

here is a list of fish with flavors and textures that we had:

arctic Char: a distinctive flavor, somewhere between that of salmon and trout. Moderately firm meat with a finer flake than salmon or trout. A high fat content keeps it moist.

atlantic salmon: milder than that of the wild salmon species. The meat is moderately firm and oily, though not as fatty as the wild King salmon. It has a large, moist flake. It is farm-raised.

black Sea Bass: a small, plump fish related to grouper. It has a mild, fresh, somewhat delicate flavor and a tender but firm texture.

bluefish: a strong distinctive fish flavor. The oily meat is soft with large bluish gray flakes.

catfish: a consistently sweet, mild taste with a fresh water twang. The moist, dense meat is firm and has fewer flakes than typical whitefish. It is farm-raised

chilean Sea Bass: has a rich, melt – in – your – mouth flavor. The moderately oily meat is tender and moist with large, thick flakes.

flounder: is pure white, lean, thin, and flaky with a sweet flavor.

grouper it has sweet and mild flavor somewhere between bass and halibut with a firm moist texture.

haddock: a delicate flake and slightly sweet taste give it a wonderful, melt – in – the – mouth appeal. The lean meat has a firm yet tender texture, and the flake is finer than cod.

halibut: a very mild, sweet – tasting, lean fish with fine – grained, and dense meat. The snow – white meat is flaky and tender though still firm.

king Salmon: has a pronounced, buttery, rich taste. Its oily, flaky, flesh is softer than that of other wild salmon species.

lemon Sole: the meat is pure white, lean, boneless, and flaky with a mild flavor.

mako Shark: is moist and slightly sweet, with a full – bodied, meaty taste. Both flavor and texture are similar to swordfish, but the flesh of mako is moister, and the meat is not as sweet.

ocean Perch: is mild tasting yet a bit sweet, with a moderately firm texture. The meat is lean, moist and flaky.

rainbow Trout: is mild, with a delicate, nut – like flavor. The flesh is tender, flaky and soft. When the meat is cooked, it has a delicate flake and the color pales. We serve it whole. It is farm-raised

red Snapper: is lean and moist, with a sweetly mild, distinctive flavor. The semi-firm texture is lean but moist. The American Red Snapper is second to none.

scrod (aka baby cod): the lean meat has a mild, clean flavor and large, tender flakes. It’s less firm than haddock and sweeter than Pacific cod.

swordfish: is moist and flavorful with a slightly sweet taste. Steaks have moderately high oil content, lending to a firm, meaty texture.

tilapia: The mild, sweet tasting, lean – meated tilapia has a slightly firm, flaky texture. Water quality and feed are critical to the raising of premium tilapia. It is farm-raised

yellowfin tuna: has a mild, meaty flavor similar to swordfish. It is firm but moist, with large flakes. Yellowfin is also served raw as sashimi and in sushi.

Hope this helps!

Fish skill level = Boss.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

This man knows his fish!

I'm partial to Tuna and Salmon. I enjoy a good catfish and Haddock. I was lucky enough to go off-shore fishing last year and we caught our limit of Wahoo (Ono) so we took home a good 130 lbs of fillets. Not too fishy at all, but not a common find in stores. I like to do an olive or coconut oil based marinade with garlic, lime, lemon, parsley, onion powder, and black pepper.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I have a Costco bag of Ono filets. I think I'll pull a couple out to defrost now...
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I love fish tacos or in stir fry. Many times I just grill my fish up on the George Foreman with my favorite seasoning. We usually have tilapia or atlantic salmon. The salmon took some getting used to though. My husband brought home several varieties for me to try. You can tell it's difference by the deepness in the pink color. Experiment and find which one you might light. I like to season my fish pretty simply - either lemon pepper or Creole seasoning. Finish w/ a squirt of fresh lemon juice.
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I take 1egg white beat it up 1/4cup cornmeal that I added blackened seasoning to . Dip 4 Talapia fillets in egg them cornmeal, bake 375 till crispy and brown. Very good!
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Grilled tuna that has been marinated in honey and soy sauce is yummy. Have it with salad or egg noodles.
    Plain tuna steak with ratatouille. Onions, chopped/tinned tomatoes, bell peppers and courgette cooked in a cast iron casserole dish for an hour or so then just grilled the tuna when it's done.
    King prawn korma and king prawn coconut curry are delicious. Those and the tuna with ratatouille are from the Hairy Dieter's books if you can find them. Quite a few fish recipes in them, all I've tried have been extremely nice. Some of the recipes are online if you search.
  • lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fish eater but have been considering it great tips!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I do love homemade fish tacos. So easy to do and yummy!

In a tortilla, put fish that you like (oven baked with a bit of olive oil or butter, salt, pepper and some herbs), plenty of onion slices sauteed with red bell peppers and of course, salsa sauce (your favourite)! Garnish with shredded lettuce and cheese. Enjoy!
    +1 Seriously one of the best ways to eat fish. I won my non-fish loving fiance over with them.