Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Suggestions for a Beginner Female Lifter

I have never lifted anything but a kettlebell or some hand weights in Jillian's DVDs. I have all the equipment at home, and have no idea how to get started. Would appreciate any advice from those who have been here and are successful. Something easy to understand - I don't know all the "lifting terminology". After gaining back almost all of the weight I lost, I've decided this has to be the next step.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    What specific equipment do you have?
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    I have a weight bench with a bar and various weights. I have dumb bells also, and I have a 15 and 25 lb kettlebell.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a good starter program

Starting Strength is a good book to read first.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    You want a "beginner strength program". Some good ones already mentioned, but these are good:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    all-pro beginner
    New Rules of Lifting
    Strong Curves

Starting Strength is the best book out there for learning proper form, but its program is hard to do outside a gym. Get the book, learn the lifts from it, and do one of the other programs. Or, if you're good at youtube, you can find good form videos there. Just be careful of all the youtube dreck.
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    So on the website for stronglifts 5x5 this is a site directed to male lifters but I'm going to see what I can do to start. Thank you!
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Ignore the bro talk, I am on my 5th week of stronglifts 5x5, downloaded the app on my phone, watched videos about form, and friended some other new lifters as well as more experience lifters and use them as resources :). The only difference is that women do not always progress as fast as men, but the app explains what to do when you fail, for example, after two weeks I went to do my fourth round of five barbell rows and could not lift it up to my chest, so I clicked on the button to indicate I'd only done four, and it told me to do extra rest, and then recommends staying at same weight for another week. So easy, once you've done a round or two you'll love it!! :love: