My Success- 13.1!

Options
addean1
addean1 Posts: 119 Member
Oldest ds is a cross country runner in high school. He heard about a half marathon in Yellowstone. We have a cabin near Yellowstone, and go there often, its a home away from home for us. So Oldest ds convinced me to run the Yellowstone Half Marathon with him. After losing weight, and realizing it was something I could maybe do. After 9 months of training, our big half marathon race was Saturday! It was a beautiful morning, my SIL Amber also ran the race with us. We arrived early enough to get our shirts and bib numbers, and waited around round for the start time. And it was finally time to go, we lined up according to our estimated finishing time, so Micah left us, and lined up with the faster runners. Amber and I lined up with the 2:30 crew, that was the time I was hoping for- was 2 1/2 hours. I left amber after the first mile. The first 3 miles were flat and through town, then onto some xc ski trails, so quite smooth. At mile 5 we headed into the forest and it got to be a rougher trail, with weeds and rocks. Then came the hills! I just plugged along, slow and steady up the hills. Down the hills was harder than I expected, it was rocky terrain and tough running, around mile 8 my left knee was really hurting from the jarring of downhill. Luckily it did flatten out a bit then. There was another good hill at mile 10- and a very painful downhill after that, but then I hit the aid station at mile 12- and I knew I could finish it, and checking my watch, I could finish in under my goal if I pushed it a bit. I got close to the finish line where our families were cheering us on with signs, and my oldest ds (who had finished a long time ahead of me) came and ran through the finish line with me. With tears in my eyes as we finished this journey together. It was awesome. My time was 2:26:56- just 3 minutes under my hoped for goal. What a feeling if accomplishment! Just 18 short months ago, I was 68 lbs heavier, and couldn't run 1/4 a mile. And here I was - running 13.1!

Micah (who I knew was fast- but not that fast!) placed 2nd in the 15-19 yr old men age group, and won a silver medal. His time was 1:48! Amber came in at 3:08!

attempting to add a pic. But for some reason they are all tiny!

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/addean1/Facebook/Profile Pictures/10365951_10203908890353490_2514371845418206854_n.jpg[/img]

Replies

• brn14me
    brn14me Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    that's awesome!! I hope to work up to that as well - 10k in my crosshairs now.

That's a great accomplishment and you should be very proud!
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Awesome - a 1/2 marathon is my goal next year. Working toward a 10k for November.

Thanks for motivating me!!!
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Amazing. Congrats on a great HM!!!!!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    GREAT job! I bet it was a beautiful course too.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    What a great personal win! And in Yellowstone: bet it was a beautiful run!
    congrats!!
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congrats! that's an incredible achievement, and extra meaningful as you were able to finish with your son. I'm sure he's so proud of you!
  • Changeisachoice
    Changeisachoice Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENT!!
  • addean1
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, thanks for sharing!

When are you going to run the full marathon....:noway:
  • addean1
    Options
    Congratulations, thanks for sharing!

When are you going to run the full marathon....:noway:

Youch! I'll definitely have to have quite a few more halfs under my belt before I even think about it. Right now- I. Have no desire to run a full. This was a tough race!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!