Can I do it too?

Options
First of all I want to say congrats to all of you who have lost the weight. You are all an inspiration to me.
Now, a little about me...I am a stay at home mom of 3 boys ages 2,5, and 9. They keep me moving but obviously not enough. I enjoy good food which unfortunately is not the best food for me. I am 50% mexican and 50% Italian which means high fat high carb foods. I have been the "chuncky" one in our family since I was 5. My own grandfather even called me fatso. I use to be ok with being plus size but it is getting out of hand.
So, January 5 I started a New "me' Resolution. I didn't want it to be a new years resolution because of the rate of failure there is to those. I wanted to make a change. I didn't want to go another year at the weight I am at.
So, i started my week off with slimfast. i had a shake for breakfast, a snack, a shake for lunch, a snack and a low cal dinner. Well, guess what?! I was still hungry! So after the first few days I realized that wasn't going to work. So now I am just counting calories and making better choices. So according to my research, if I want to lose a pound a week I should stick to 1600 calories a day. I am not sure what I was taking in before. So, here is my question...
I am 5'7" and my starting weight is 271
I am taking in anywhere between 1400 and 1600 calories per day.
I workout for 30 - 45 minutes 5-6 days a week along with housework and chasing kids.
Do you think I will lose the weight?
I just feel like that can be it. I feel like there has to be more to it.
Please let me know if you lost the weight and how you did it.
Thank you!
Raquel

Replies

• Melisha82
    Melisha82 Posts: 243
    Options
    That's it! That is what I have been doing and I'm almost at 10 lbs gone in a month. It's insane how easy it is when you just start making better choices... I have found I look for meals that will fill me up longer rather than grabbing whatever is in my cabinet. I also stopped purchasing things that tempt me...... like doritos..lol
  • Raquel1275
    Options
    It's so hard to stay away from my temptations with 3 kids but I buy them snacks that I really don't like so I won't be so tempted. My downfall is cake! I love cake! Thank you for that info! I do find myself finding foods that will fill me up with less calories. Yesterday I actually separated my eggs and had just the whites and today i made myself some oatmeal. On the slimfast I found myself thinking about food all the time but with these choices I feel full longer!
  • AnnaLeigh85
    AnnaLeigh85 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous post. That is all you need to do. I started eating healthier foods and made sure the snacks I had every couple hours were healthy, like yogurt. I haven't been able to work out to much yet, but I do have a busy one year old and carrying him around all day gives me something. I have lost 15 pounds so far and started right before the new year. You can do it! Once you make the changes, and stay on track it gets WAY easier. I never crave Fast food anymore or want to eat an entire plate of food, plus seconds. Regarding cooked home meals or things like that, I just portion size.
  • JSprad
    JSprad Posts: 31
    Options
    It can be done! This is my second week and so far I have lost 5 pounds! I have set little goals for myself. The first week I made it my goal to drink all of my water everyday...now it feels like habit and I find that I am not eating as much. I started using smaller plates at meals and portioning our my choices. When I have done well (had a good week) I treat myself to 1/2 -1 cup of Breyers Carb Smart Chocolate Ice Cream...yummy! Don't get discouraged...you will meet your goals in no time!
  • AnnaLeigh85
    AnnaLeigh85 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Going off your second post, the snacks I get for my son are like Teddy Grahams or Cheerios. If I feel like having some of them I just make sure to read the label and measure out a serving size. It helps rather then grab handfuls of whatever. Also, Multi Grain Cheerios are Yum, way better then regular. I attempted Slimfast in the past as well, but that felt way more like dieting and didn't give you the yummy food.
  • JSprad
    JSprad Posts: 31
    Options
    I have 3 boys as well...when I get tempted with their favorite snacks, I come to the MFP website and log it to see how many calories it contains...that usually puts a stop to that! :) Also, wheat thins with a wedge of Light Laughing Cow cheese is really good!
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You can do it! All it takes is willpower! I am 5'8 and started at 265 in october. I am now down to 229! If I feel hungry I eat. I choose foods that will satisfy me and keep me from filling hungry and it gets easier!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I've lost 254 lbs in 3 years. I am almost at my goal - just 7 more lbs. Its been hard and certainly haven't been perfect but if you are persistant, realistic, and make this a life long change instead of just a diet - YOU WILL GET THERE!!

Good luck, stay strong!
  • xTry2Defyx
    xTry2Defyx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Stay focused!
    I started on MFP awhile ago but fell off the wagon. I just got back on and although I haven't weighed in yet, I'm noticing great changes in my body. The key for me is the food tracker. I never realized that even those little things I was eating before can add up to such big things. For example...a small package of candy here, a cookie there...while making my lunch, over doing it on the cheese, etc! By plugging in EVERYTHING I eat, I know how many calories are in each "little" snack that I eat without thinking about it during the day.

That's NOT to say that we shouldn't be able to treat ourselves. I find that with the food tracker, I can plan out healthy meals and then see how many calories/fat I have left over to indulge. I actually track my food a day ahead of time so that I can prepare myself some choices for healthy meals and a few treats.

And remember to track your exercise...little things like playing with your kids or doing house work burns more calories than you think and can allow you to treat yourself more often!

:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!