major calorie burn, no loss?

Options
missnatlyn
missnatlyn Posts: 15 Member
For the last 3 weeks I have burned 1900-2200 calories a day walking 12 miles a day at my job. Normally I sit at a desk all day but I have been helping in another dept. Why am I not losing weight?? I do eat my calories allowed and sometimes just over.??? Any ideas

Replies

• missnatlyn
    missnatlyn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have also included more fruit and veggies into my diet as well. And reduced my soda intake to very little.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting the calories lost from? The calories on MFP estimate pretty high.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks I have burned 1900-2200 calories a day walking 12 miles a day at my job. Normally I sit at a desk all day but I have been helping in another dept. Why am I not losing weight?? I do eat my calories allowed and sometimes just over.??? Any ideas

Walking 12 miles a day will burn less than 1200 calories for most people.

Walking generally burns 70-90/mile and running 110-130/mile.

So you eat your calories you are allowed and sometimes over? That "sometimes over" speaks volumes, and also if you think you are burning 1900-2200 from the walking and eating them back, even just half, you are not going to see much weight loss. If you eat half of those approx 2000 back you are at 1000 calories when you are burning only 1000-1200 or even less.
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you done your TDEE? What activity level are your "base calories" tied to?

If you are "very active" and eat back all of your logged exercise, there in could be your problem - you're double counting those walking calories during the day.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    You are overestimating your calorie burn.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Can you open your diary?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ^^I agree with a lot of the advice users have posted about re: your calorie burns.

I'm also going to ask if you're using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? I don't believe that a food scale is absolutely necessary to lose weight, but it might be helpful to double check that you're logging as accurately as possible for a little while.

Opening your diary might help you get more specific advice.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i ran a half marathon (13.1 miles) back in may and didn't burn what you burn walking. i think you're over estimating your calorie burns.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You can buy a heart rate monitor/calorie burn tracker that will give you a much more accurate estimate of what you are actually burning.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You are maybe burning 1000-1200, but normally you would be doing at least sone walking in your normal daily living. This is just adding on.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    1900 burned on a walk would mean walking for like... a week. Non-stop.

Your estimates are about 1000% too high.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks I have burned 1900-2200 calories a day walking 12 miles a day at my job.
    Sounds unlikely unless you are very, very heavy.
    Suggest you try a few online calculators to verify your numbers.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    You're NOT burning that many calories..no way!...Buy a heart rate monitor and I assure you that you will have a reality check of what your honestly burning...veggies are high in carbs, fruits are high in sugar you have to watch everything including what society says is "healthy,healthy,healthy"
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    You can buy a heart rate monitor/calorie burn tracker that will give you a much more accurate estimate of what you are actually burning.

Heart rate monitors are really only meant to track steady-state cardio. Tracking walking done at work might be better achieved through something like a Fitbit or pedometer.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Heart rate monitors are really only meant to track steady-state cardio. Tracking walking done at work might be better achieved through something like a Fitbit or pedometer.

Yes, get a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar FT4 and love it. MFP is not accurate.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    One thing I dont really count as excercise is whatever I do on any of my various jobs. I look at any of that activity, and strenous yardwork and such, as just a bonus to regular exercise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Yes, get a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar FT4 and love it. MFP is not accurate.
    No don't use a HRM - wrong tool for the job.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Don't eat that many calories....... and run instead of walk. thermogenisis= core body temperature increase= burn fat ........in other words.... walking is great but start adding some running in there which will get you burning even more. And lower calorie intake for your height and age. I would try 1600 instead of 1900.
  • RhysJones92
    RhysJones92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Always remember that weight loss is around 80% diet and proper nutrition, and only 20% exercise. Studies have even shown that regular exercise doesn't lead to weight loss, sure it makes you fitter and healthier but you can't eat a rubbish diet and expect to lose weight with exercise alone. Exercise is more an adjunct to proper eating.

If you do want to lose weight and body size through exercise, I suggest you read up about HIIT, whereby you do burst of intense exercise in a say 20 minute time-frame and studies have shown this to lead to weight loss (unlike regular exercise as you are mentioning)
  • diannethegeek
    Options