Maintaining/Losing weight in pregnancy

Options
Hi everyone - I'm plus sized and pregnant. I'm wondering if anyone has had any success in maintaining or even losing weight during pregnancy? I'm not trying to go on any extreme diets, I just don't want to gain 30-50lbs, like I did with my last 2 pregnancies (and thus the reason I'm plus sized!). I'm 14 weeks pregnant now, and all I crave are carbs, carbs, carbs! I'm also a vegetarian. My goal is 1600 - 2000 cal a day, but I can't even seem to stick to that. Hoping for a better 2nd trimester eating!

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Determined82
    Determined82 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    During my last pregnancy I was overweight. I was 190lbs when I got pregnant and only got up to 204lbs at 9 months because I watched what I ate during the pregnancy. I didn't restrict calories, I just didn't get fast food every single day lol. After my daughter was born, I dropped 29lbs and was 175lbs. So in the end I came out 15lbs lighter than where I first started! =)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should worry about losing weight during pregnancy, worry about it after your baby is born.

Edit: I gained 70 lbs with my first, 45 lbs with my second. It took a while, but I did manage to lose all the weight I gained.

Good luck!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    you should talk to your doctor regarding this to be honest.

if you're overweight they might not want you to gain too much, but it's definitely something better discussed with your doctor. I would probably set my calories to maintain while pregnant and focus on my macros.
  • gracenessence
    gracenessence Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, I understand I need to talk to my doctor/midwife, which I already do. Yes, they only want me to gain 10-15lbs, I am aware of this. And as I already mentioned, I'm not trying to diet. I was looking for similar experiences from people who have been in this situation, and what they did to help maintain weight. I've also heard of people who lost weight during pregnancy without trying all that much. Thanks, Determined82, for your story, that's the motivation I am looking for.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    pregnancy hormones at their finest.

Good luck OP! Most people gain the most in the last trimester so it's good you're trying to get a hold on this now.

I just mentioned the doctor thing because they could tell you exactly how much to gain and guide you on how to keep it at a minimum. But it looks like you've already done so good luck.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I gain 100 with my first pregnancy and 10 with my second a year later. (I had a 9.5lb baby). She didn't make me sick when I tried to eat my normal food, where as with my first I lived on Mac n Cheese and Fruit (I would gag thinking of broccoli)

Sometimes it is out of your control. But if you aren't having any aversions, eat healthy and keep exercising (as long as the Dr gives you the ok). I was able to stick to lean protein, healthy fats in moderation, and tons of veggies with my second and it was a success. I left the hospital at my prepregnancy weight (40lbs heavier than my first.. but better than another 40 on top of it)
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    and, as an aside, my Doctors NEVER SAID A WORD as I gained 100lbs (50 of it was fluid from swelling)... but they nagged me at EVERY appointment about not gaining with my second. Drove me Bananas.
  • tmjdunn
    tmjdunn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Something that really helped me was using a bunch of the recipes in the What to eat when you are expecting book. It also gave a ton of info on sources for needed nutrients and helpful eating tips for a variety of situations.
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    You should not be worrying about losing weight while pregnant.

just, no.

I took my normal TDEE and added 300 calories. Will add another 200calories to that when breast feeding.

Don;t stress yourself out by this- especially if you're not already in a patter of logging every day. Plus- I can say that while it was easy to log during the first trimester- holy crap in a hand basket have I been hungry during the second and third trimsester.

Just take it easy, enjoy your pregnancy.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    my doctor was insane, ya I was overweight, not super bad but a good 30 pounds probably and I was told no more that 10 pounds, and she told me "do not eat ANY sweets, none at all, when you're breastfeeding then you can indulge." She also said my baby would be huge...and he was 6 pounds 12 ounces. >_< Tell a pregnant woman not to eat cookies....insanity.
  • elelja945
    elelja945 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Like Determined I also gained about 65 lbs my first pregnancy, lost about 20, was pregnant again in 6 months, gained about 35, lost it all in about a year after the birth, back to pre pregnancy weight, 6 years later, pregnant again, gained 50 lbs, whew.... so two years after that birth I am 20lbs away from pre pregnancy weight. Its a little harder now in my 30's but I will do it. Anyway try to stick to lentils, split peas, and beans to help with the carb cravings very healthy, great for baby. Water, fruit veggies. You will be fine, focus on the baby now, next year you can work on your weight. Congrats, and a happy healthy pregnancy, birth, and baby.:smile:
  • gracenessence
    gracenessence Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for the advice and thoughts, very helpful. And thanks for forgiving the pregnancy hormones, Vegan Bettie :)
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I had to limit carbs with both mine due to gestational diabetes. 2800 calories a day on a diabetic diet. 4 pounds lighter before I delivered my first and 10 pounds heavier before I delivered my second. No maternity clothes for the first and only the last two months with the second. Both boys were about 7.5 pounds. But I was being supervised by a dietician, an endo and my ob. Personally I wouldn't worry about weight until after, mine was an extreme case.
  • jozeemom
    jozeemom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was very overweight when I got pregnant for my 2nd child. From the time I got pregnant to the time I delivered, I lost 10 pounds. I was determined to eat healthy for the baby. I ate plenty of calories but healthy choices. The doctor said as long as I was eating enough to keep the baby healthy, it didn't matter what the scale said.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    you know what's worse than pregnancy hormones? post partum hormones.....I was SOOOOO wrecked. my word, why do we have to deal with all this????
  • 8ritt55
    8ritt55 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 38w3d pregnant today!! started my pregnancy at 220 lbs and have pretty much maintained my weight, now weighing 215 lbs.
    I had very strong aversions to food though and was miserably sick for some of my pregnancy, so any weight loss was unintentional. On the other hand, I also didn't have alcohol or fast food so I think that was a contributing factor. I did indulge in chocolate candies and ice cream though, insane cravings lol.
  • mamatothemax
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I just found out I am pregnant and my last pregnancy I gained almost 80 lbs! I still haven't lost a lot of my "baby weight" from my son so I am going to make sure I don't gain too much! I'm trying to stick around 2000 calories a day as well!
  • kimberlymarie85
    kimberlymarie85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congrats and Good luck! I just found out last week I was preggers (#4!) and have already lost 8 lbs, I am soooo nauseous and foods I normally LOVE I can't stand the sight of. My youngest is 5 and I had almost completely forgotten how miserable pregnancy can be, and I'm just getting started. But I am also sticking to around 2000 HEALTHY calories... and it really puts into perspective how awful I have been eating lately. I have also never weighed this much during a pregnancy, so I want to make sure I stay as healthy as possible. Feel free to add me!