Beginner Women's Lifting Routine

Options
Okay it has come to this. A "New Topic". ::cringe:: I've searched the Fitness & Exercise forums and haven't found anything. No, I don't have The New Rules of Lifting For Women (yet). The last weight training book I bought seemed to be a bit ridiculous for me and suggested hanging from doors, railings and doorknobs using a resistance band/towel and buying a pullup bar. Not exactly possible unless I want to lose my security deposit in my apartment or risk injuring myself by hanging from flimsy doors. Nor can I afford a trainer. I just want ONE PERSON...at least one...to explain to me what the heck a beginner (as in Day 1) female should do to start strength training AT THE GYM. I finally found a gym partner and have motivation to go. To counteract the naysayers, yes, I realize that gyms aren't essential and there are plenty of body strength exercises available to do at home...but that hasn't worked for me yet. I prefer to start out using machines. I've read good and bad things about using the machines at the gym to lift, but it's where I want to at least start. I'll get to the free form stuff later when I feel more comfortable but standing in front of a mirror at the gym with 5lb weights doing lunges or tricep presses is embarassing to say the least. I'm 5'4" and I need to lose approx 40lbs. I'm not good with the gym terminology (deadlift/overhead press/etc). Yes, I know, Google/YouTube...tried them too and usually end up with either body weight exercises or ones that are way too advanced for me. I just need some help and advice! Thanks everyone.

ETA: It would be very helpful if someone could say "When you first get to the gym do a 10 minute warm-up on the treadmill/elliptical/bike/etc, then start with this machine with X weight for Y reps, then this machine with X weight for Y reps).

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I would wait until you get New Rules of Lifting For Women. Most of your fat loss results will come from diet & cardio anyway, so the strength training can wait a couple weeks until you can follow a good program. In the mean time, read the 2nd post in this forum, "I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym" (part 1), if you haven't yet.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Okay it has come to this. A "New Topic". ::cringe:: I've searched the Fitness & Exercise forums and haven't found anything. No, I don't have The New Rules of Lifting For Women (yet). The last weight training book I bought seemed to be a bit ridiculous for me and suggested hanging from doors, railings and doorknobs using a resistance band/towel and buying a pullup bar. Not exactly possible unless I want to lose my security deposit in my apartment or risk injuring myself by hanging from flimsy doors. Nor can I afford a trainer. I just want ONE PERSON...at least one...to explain to me what the heck a beginner (as in Day 1) female should do to start strength training AT THE GYM. I finally found a gym partner and have motivation to go. To counteract the naysayers, yes, I realize that gyms aren't essential and there are plenty of body strength exercises available to do at home...but that hasn't worked for me yet. I prefer to start out using machines. I've read good and bad things about using the machines at the gym to lift, but it's where I want to at least start. I'll get to the free form stuff later when I feel more comfortable but standing in front of a mirror at the gym with 5lb weights doing lunges or tricep presses is embarassing to say the least. I'm 5'4" and I need to lose approx 40lbs. I'm not good with the gym terminology (deadlift/overhead press/etc). Yes, I know, Google/YouTube...tried them too and usually end up with either body weight exercises or ones that are way too advanced for me. I just need some help and advice! Thanks everyone.

ETA: It would be very helpful if someone could say "When you first get to the gym do a 10 minute warm-up on the treadmill/elliptical/bike/etc, then start with this machine with X weight for Y reps, then this machine with X weight for Y reps).

So were all in agreement with that free weight are the best. That being said, if starting with machines makes you comfortable then go for it. I tend to go for the machines that work the chest and back (chest press, lat pull down, rows). I also like to do the 'the torture tower of terror'. Ok I don't know what's it's called but it assists you in doing pullups and tricep dips. For legs I like leg extensions and leg presses. And don't be shy, pick up those hand weights and do some squats and lunges! And pushups do a girl good! I keep it simple and basic....5 minutes warm up on the tread, hit the machines, do a bit of cardio after it you so desire. Best Wishes!
  • monsterbeans
    monsterbeans Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started with this:
    http://www.leanitup.com/wotm-082013-the-help-me-i-have-no-idea-what-the-hell-im-doing-newbies-workout-plan/

Its not much in the way of machines, but you could probably replace some of the weighted exercises with machine equivalents, if you know which muscle groups both target. I initially took out a few things I didn't feel comfortable with, and replaced them with things I did know how to do.
    I've been doing this for a few weeks, and am already improving on the weights I do. I'm modifying the programme slightly now that I have a bit more confident about using weights and equipment - I also had a complimentary session with a PT and am working a few of his moves in.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest waiting until you get New Rules of Lifting for Women. That book will have a lot of advice in it, and does include some good information on why free weights are so much better than machines. As with anything new, it will take some time getting used to the program and feeling comfortable doing it, but you will get there.

I recently started Stage 2 of NROLFW and can't recommend it enough. No use in delaying strength training--after you start you will wish you'd have started it a loooong time ago!

You can actually find all the NROLFW workout logs here: http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

You don't necessarily have to wait for the book as all the exercises are pretty google-able!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 or All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine are all solid beginners choices.

(First one's a book, second one has a website, third one has it's own thread over on bodybuilding.com)

Starting Strength is good to own even if you don't do the programme laid out in the book, since it has thorough technique breakdowns of all the main lifts...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Ah... just read the machines bit.

Perhaps head over to the bodyrecomposition website. LM has some machine based routines, I believe.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I started NROL4W today. The day 1 programme was OK. If you add me I am doing a blog (visible only to friends) which shows the exercises I did and weights, sets and reps I managed. I would suggest buying the book, give yourself a few days to get to grips with it (there was a bit of jargon to get my head around) and you will find all you need to do the plan in your gym.

I use free weights - we have a smith(??) machine for squats at the gym but I am going with bars as one of the trainers said that engages your core better.

Good luck. Let's do this!!!
  • GoalMine14
    GoalMine14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started with this:
    http://www.leanitup.com/wotm-082013-the-help-me-i-have-no-idea-what-the-hell-im-doing-newbies-workout-plan/

Its not much in the way of machines, but you could probably replace some of the weighted exercises with machine equivalents, if you know which muscle groups both target. I initially took out a few things I didn't feel comfortable with, and replaced them with things I did know how to do.
    I've been doing this for a few weeks, and am already improving on the weights I do. I'm modifying the programme slightly now that I have a bit more confident about using weights and equipment - I also had a complimentary session with a PT and am working a few of his moves in.

Thank you. This is exactly what I've been looking for!
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Some great links and ideas on here. I will purchase NROL4W. TheLittleFang I will add you.

:flowerforyou:
  • Allencp78
    Allencp78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What has motivated you ladies to start weight lifting?

The reason I ask is that my wife and I started exercising together back in the fall doing T25. The program and counting calories with MFP worked great. We both lost weight and cardio fitness was better than we have ever been. While we were cardio fit, we both still had some weight to lose and I did not have the strength gains that I want.

Her biggest problem is lack of strength, especially arms, hands, shoulders. We started playing tennis together a couple of months ago as just something fun to do together. When we play tennis she says she can't hold the racket at the end, instead she chokes up all the way up the handle to the face of the racket. So she can't hit the ball over the net a lot of the time. I've suggested she carry a stress ball or hand strengthener in the car so she can get stronger while commuting to work. You would have thought I had asked her to climb Mt Everest.

What's the motivating factor in your life? My wife doesn't seem to have the desire to work to improve for the sake of getting better at tennis.
  • snorkizzle
    snorkizzle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1. A beginner lifting routine is the same for both women and men. The fact that you are a woman shouldn't have any impact.

2. Anyone would be embarrassed standing in front of a mirror lifting 5 lbs weights. Doing dumbbell curls as your weight routine is for when you want the work out without the work. If you want to be serious about it and feel that you're really doing it seriously see #3.

3. Try a program like Starting Strength. If you want to lift this is a great program to learn the basic big lifts and will greatly improve your overall strength. There are a lot of other programs that are good out there but I loved how this one really introduces a beginner to the main lifts and helps to maximize your starting progress.

If you do this program please buy the book. It explains the lifts in depth and is essential if you're a beginner. There is also a really good wiki. When you say the lifts are too advanced it just means you might be too embarrassed to try them or don't have the basic knowledge about them. This is why reading the book and just trying the exercises with a partner to observe will be great. You don't need to lift a huge amount to start. You can do any of these exercises with just the bar and if that's too heavy have your spotter help out a bit.

Main website: http://startingstrength.com/
    Wiki Site: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
    Amazon for the book: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

Program consists mostly of the following barbell exercises:

Squats
    Bench Press
    Overhead Press
    Deadlift
    Powerclean

As you have a partner to go with this also means you have someone to spot you which is great.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Bump to save info.

Any suggestions for someone who has access to dumbbells and a universal machine but not a bar? much as I'd love to try them, most of the programs mentioned above use bars :(
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    What has motivated you ladies to start weight lifting?

The reason I ask is that my wife and I started exercising together back in the fall doing T25. The program and counting calories with MFP worked great. We both lost weight and cardio fitness was better than we have ever been. While we were cardio fit, we both still had some weight to lose and I did not have the strength gains that I want.

Her biggest problem is lack of strength, especially arms, hands, shoulders. We started playing tennis together a couple of months ago as just something fun to do together. When we play tennis she says she can't hold the racket at the end, instead she chokes up all the way up the handle to the face of the racket. So she can't hit the ball over the net a lot of the time. I've suggested she carry a stress ball or hand strengthener in the car so she can get stronger while commuting to work. You would have thought I had asked her to climb Mt Everest.

What's the motivating factor in your life? My wife doesn't seem to have the desire to work to improve for the sake of getting better at tennis.

To look and feel awesome.... plus to not have to use a cane/walker in my old age.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5

Yes, this :)

I'd actually recommend 'starting strength' first but as you don't want to buy a book and just want to know 'workout a' you can just go to this website and get the info you want free.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
  • snorkizzle
    snorkizzle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump to save info.

Any suggestions for someone who has access to dumbbells and a universal machine but not a bar? much as I'd love to try them, most of the programs mentioned above use bars :(

Dumbbells are great but it's much easier to work the upper body with them than the lower. I'm not sure how advanced you are but the problem with dumbbells is that it becomes much more difficult to maximally load the legs (you can't rest the weight on your back or shoulders and instead rely on your forearm strength to grip them).

Off the top of my head you can do something like this with dumbbells though:

Warm up by starting out on each exercise with lower weights - for example assuming you will do reps of each exercise at 100 lbs
    1 set of 8 reps - 20 lbs
    1 set of 5 reps - 40 lbs
    1 set of 3 reps - 60 lbs
    1 set of 2 reps - 80 lbs
    3 sets of 5 reps - 100 lbs

You can also do more reps with less weight. Generally if you are trying to build strength with some muscle mass you do between 3-7 reps. If you want to build muscle mass with some strength gains you do 8-12 reps and above that you are looking at building muscular endurance without as much mass or strength gain.

Try to lift every other day and alternate between two workouts
    Workout A
    Goblet Squats : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaQPfi8f27E
    Dead Lift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ3QwaXNJfw
    Chest Press: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmB1G1K7v94
    Bicep curls
    Tricep extensions
    Situps
    Pullups

Workout B
    Goblet Squats
    Overhead press: https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=BE&v=xGrpvGlu-R8
    Lunges
    Situps
    Dips
    Pullups
  • rebeccalee1986
    Options
    I have started following stronglifts 5x5
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    Bump to save info.

Dumbbells are great but it's much easier to work the upper body with them than the lower. I'm not sure how advanced you are but the problem with dumbbells is that it becomes much more difficult to maximally load the legs (you can't rest the weight on your back or shoulders and instead rely on your forearm strength to grip them).

Off the top of my head you can do something like this with dumbbells though:

Warm up by starting out on each exercise with lower weights - for example assuming you will do reps of each exercise at 100 lbs
    1 set of 8 reps - 20 lbs
    1 set of 5 reps - 40 lbs
    1 set of 3 reps - 60 lbs
    1 set of 2 reps - 80 lbs
    3 sets of 5 reps - 100 lbs

You can also do more reps with less weight. Generally if you are trying to build strength with some muscle mass you do between 3-7 reps. If you want to build muscle mass with some strength gains you do 8-12 reps and above that you are looking at building muscular endurance without as much mass or strength gain.

Try to lift every other day and alternate between two workouts
    Workout A
    Goblet Squats : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaQPfi8f27E
    Dead Lift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ3QwaXNJfw
    Chest Press: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmB1G1K7v94
    Bicep curls
    Tricep extensions
    Situps
    Pullups

Workout B
    Goblet Squats
    Overhead press: https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=BE&v=xGrpvGlu-R8