zumba results?

Options
Hello! I've been doing the 30 day shred. I'm on level 2 and I love it but I'm already trying to think of ways to spice things up. I don't have much weight to lose but I've got a good bit of toning to do. I think it would be beneficial for me to do a variety of workouts instead of just the shred (mostly because I've plateaued and can't seem to break through it). I've been looking into into maybe doing a Jillian Michaels dvd rotation, or maybe Zumba, P90x, or Insanity. I've already seen plenty of awesome before and after pics of people who have done P90x and Insanity but I'm curious about peoples results from Zumba and Jillian Michael's workouts because they look like way more fun. Anyone have any success with Zumba or Jillian Michaels? I'm interested in pounds lost, inches lost, muscle gained, etc. so that I can make the best decision. Thanks y'all!

Dixie

Replies

• RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't do only Zumba so I don't know what my results would be if that were my only workout, but I fully recommend Zumba. Not just because it's fun, but if you put everything you have into it, it's an awesome workout, you don't even feel like you're exercising, and then boom, you're done and covered in sweat.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Zumba is more cardio in my opinion, than toning. But definately up there for calorie burner and interest spice! I've got some new muscles from my "Biggest Looser DVD's" Although cardo mainly, there is some small weights and light tone work involved. Enough for me to get sore and notice a month later after working up to the level to be able to do it all.
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to spice things up and have more fun while you work out, I'd definitely suggest Zumba. It's the only workout I've ever done where I smile/laugh throughout and genuinely enjoy it! Plus you burn lots of calories - it's pretty high intensity cardio (depending on how hard you work of course).

Plus with Zumba you can do it as often as you like - or just once every week or so for a fun "break" from your "serious" workout routines. I've never done Jillian Michael's, but it seems like all the alternatives you are listing to Shred (P90X, Insanity, etc) are all more of the same. Super high intensity, very serious, and also "plans" where you have to do certain things during a specific time period in a certain order. Nothing wrong with that, but it may not give you the "spice" you're looking for since they aren't that different from Shred in reality.
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i have been thinkin about doin zumba but i lack rythmn and dont do well with dancing so i wonder if it willl be effective for me
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Alana, I don't have any rhythm either, and I totally can't dance! It takes a few classes to get the moves down, but once you do, it's really easy to do the moves. Just do them moderately in the beginning, and once you get them, up your intensity.
  • xXAlana21Xx
    Options
    Alana, I don't have any rhythm either, and I totally can't dance! It takes a few classes to get the moves down, but once you do, it's really easy to do the moves. Just do them moderately in the beginning, and once you get them, up your intensity.

so its worth it?
  • calaiasa
    Options
    I lost 34 pounds in 4 months from just doing Zumba! I love Zumba and I'm going to stick with it : ) :love:
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I lost 34 pounds in 4 months from just doing Zumba! I love Zumba and I'm going to stick with it : ) :love:

Wow! That's really awesome! I'm strongly considering it
  • gatorliz
    Options
    I'm on my second week of zumba...I have it for the Wii and I absolutely love it. I felt really stupid at first because I didn't know the steps, but you learn them quickly. I feel accomplished since I'm not clumsy like I was at the beginning but actually kind of good at it. I've been eating only at meal times and drinking a lot of water in addition to doing zumba, but 2 weeks in I definitely have lost a few pounds. I would highly recommend zumba... I've never stuck with a workout routine, but this seems to give me more energy, the 40 minutes pass quickly, and it's actually fun!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Zumba is fun and a great cardio workout that burns a ton of calories but if toning is what you really want I'd go with P90X or just good ol strength training in general.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Oops double post!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i have been thinkin about doin zumba but i lack rythmn and dont do well with dancing so i wonder if it willl be effective for me

I bought a heart rate monitor and noticed Zumba is my "serious workout"! Plus I noticed that no matter what, especially if I haven't a clue or get it all wrong, I'm burning even more calories doing it wrong! So don't worry about your ability. Or being older and if it's low impact enough for your joints. I think this is one for everyone, young and old, fit and unfit, coordinated and uncoordinated.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I adore Zumba, and all four of the instructors I've had have targeted specific muscle groups for toning as well as having us dance about: for instance, the Tuesday instructor includes an all squat song, and a raised leg swing song, and one that's pretty much all ab tucks.... it depends on the class, and the instructor.
  • xXAlana21Xx
    Options
    so i ordered it and now i just have to wait 5-7 days to use it :( im getting excited too... it feels like it will take forever
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am going along to a class tonight.

Does anyone know what the calorie burn is like? I might wear my heart monitor to see.
  • three36love
    three36love Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am going along to a class tonight.

Does anyone know what the calorie burn is like? I might wear my heart monitor to see.

My friends and I burn 500-700 per hour class of Zumba. It's usually around the 600 range.

As for the original topic, both of my Zumba instructors lost over 30 pounds in about 6 months by doing JUST zumba and not watching their diet at all. They liked it so much, they started teaching it.
  • bmommy78
    Options
    I can't find the calorie burn either on here??? I am doing it tonight and would like to add it to my diary??