Hair Care

Options
SymphonynSonata
SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
Hey all,

How much does it cost you to go to the salon and get your hair done? What do you have done? How frequently do you go? Do you go to a chain or 'private' salon?

I'm asking because I began my little hair-dying-regimen when I was 13. The first time ever I had my dirty blonde hair (which was beginning to darken) bleached, trimmed and had red low lights put in. It was $500 with a tip, shampoo, conditioner, etc at Dillards.
A few things happened and that was no longer affordable (I was going every 3 weeks and it was about $350). I got my hair dyed brown by a friend (natural color) and left it be for a few years.

..then I wanted to be blonde again, went to a cute little privately owned salon, and back to $400-$500 bills. I thought that was extreme, so I went to another guy I knew who does hair and, again, $400. This was for Caucasian hair that has been classified as a blonde (Darkest shade), not super thick hair, going to a lighter base with bleached streaks. It just sounds RIDICULOUS.

Where do you guys go, what do you pay? I don't know if I can keep up this extreme stuff for too long. >_>

Replies

• WreckaRed
    WreckaRed Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I color at home, and pay around $40 for a trim every 8 weeks or so. I would LOVE to be blond, but it is just too expensive to keep up. That is a car payment!!
  • my2kin04
    my2kin04 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A salon trip costs 100+ and and take hours...a friend of mine did highlights for me and i saved a lot, however, the drug store color does not last long in my hair so I need it done again.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    These dollar amounts totally freak me out...like the other person said, that is a car payment (or mortgage payment, even). WOW.

I have only had highlights done professionally, about 10 years ago and I think it cost only $50-60. I loved the results, but when I went back a second time after a couple of months, I was very disappointed that even a professional could not perfectly "match up" the old/new highlights to my satisfaction. I am way too OCD for that business - and went back to dark hair.

Honestly to me the majority of people who go to salons and pay hundreds for their services look no different than those who do their own stuff at home. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but whatever. A friend of mine has long, dark auburn hair and she pays around $200/month for salon services but her hair looks awesome for 3-4 days and then it has the same greying roots and greasy look as it did before she started "professional upkeep".

OTOH, I had a boss whose hair looked exactly like Jennifer Aniston's. Perfectly shiny with about 10 colors of gold-blond-honey going on. It was gorgeous hair and I know she paid dearly for it, probably close to the $500 you mentioned. But I could kind of understand that for her, she was a professional in the public eye and her hair was by far her best feature/asset physically speaking.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yeah, hair is a tax exemption if it is needed for business (representing yourself properly, etc, usually sales or PR people), but you are required to get it done a lot more frequently.

Unfortunately, my profession does not cover hair as an expense LOL, so I need to start finding cheaper alternatives. I watched Youtube videos of people bleaching their hair (I -think- I'm about 5 shades higher than natural when it is done) and it just looks so tedious and impossible. I'm also scared of burning my hair off (seen horror videos).

Anyone have experiences with chain salons? Pricing, results, etc?
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't color my hair or anything. I usually just get it trimmed, sometimes layered a bit, so my trips to the hair salon are very easy. I used to go to a chain and get a $15 trim. I recently found a local place that does a wash, cut, and dry for $13 and the lady that works there is really experienced, unlike the chains where you get girls just out of cosmetology school. I go about every 5 months. I need to start going more often though. But yeah, I can't relate at all to you guys spending hundreds at fancy salons haha :tongue:
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Anyone have experiences with chain salons? Pricing, results, etc?
    Chain salons totally depend on who you get. After going a few times you get the idea of who's fresh out of cosmetology school, and who has had years of experience and knows their stuff. I think you could probably looks up reviews of even the chains online and see what people have to say about each hairdresser. I was scared to go to a chain at first, but I found a person that consistently listened to me and did a nice job. My older sister gets highlights and such and has gone to a chain regularly since she found a great lady there. It costs her between 50 to 75 dollars every time she gets her hair colored I believe. And it comes out really nice! SO I think the moral of the story with chain salons is to make sure you find a good hairdresser there. There's generally one superstar hairdresser at those salons out of all the employees; it's just figuring out who the great hairdresser is that's the hard part haha
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 now and for years I fussed with my hair. It was always fine, and sick straight, golden blonde up until 20 when it darkened to ash blonde. I hated it, so started painting lightened streaks in myself---I've always been artistic. I also paid for permanents for years, which dried out my hair and made it brittle. I started swimming 19 years ago and the clorine dried it out even more. I started putting on a moisturizing pack, a cloth swim cap,and then a slicone one. I swim for an hour and my hair gets a beauty treatment 4 times a week. I then shampoo, moisturize, and put on a linseed oil for shine and suppleness. I no longer get permanents---I decided to live with the hair God gave me. After i began menopause my hair started to get naturally wavey--oh the irony after a lifetime of permanents. Now I have great hair. I stick it in a pony tail and I've done the shading thing--left the roots darker shading into blonde at the ends. I still touch up with lightening streaks myself. My hair is smooth and silky, and I wish I'd done this 20 yrs ago. I get a cut and blowdry every 2 months and leave it shoulder length, with a simple cut. No worries, no hassles, and no expense. My advice is to simplify as much as you can, and do what you can yourself. Best :smile:
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I live in what I could call a town instead of a city. I just had my hair done on sat. I paid 95 dollars to have a dramatically different hair cut, 3 different color high lights put in and for her to style it after she was done. In my experience since my hair was origionaly half way down my back and I did have dark brown hair that is actually pretty cheap in my experience of having my hair done.

The pricing ranges from City to towns. From chains, to individuals who work at salons, but can set their own pricing b/c they are their own boss, or from people who do it out of their homes.
  • CyclngChick
    CyclngChick Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You can also try a beauty school! An instructor supervises a student, and it's super cheap! I go to this chain of beauty schools: http://www.marinello.com/beauty-schools/santa-clara-ca/Guest-Services.aspx
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I spend about $150-180 every 10 weeks or so to have my (shoulder-length, naturally light brown) hair colored/highlighted at an Aveda salon (that happens to be located in a Dillards department store.)
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I spend $180 (with tip) to get full highlights and a cut. My guy used to work with some celebrities in LA and was a national color instructor at Aveda. He does such an amazing job on highlights that I once went 6 months before I had to go again... and my hair grows SO fast.. But he does them in a way that it really isn't obvious when it's growing out. He's super awesome.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    Mine's natural. I just use cheap shampoo/conditioner and trim my hair (or have a friend/family member help trim my hair) when I notice a lot of split ends.
  • toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Holy cow...I go to a privately owned salon and pay $75 for multicolor high and low lights, shampoo and a cut!
  • Laughter_
    Laughter_ Posts: 16
    Options
    I do my own hair and just go in for a cheap trim. Been dying since I was 15 and have been every single color including the fun ones like purple. :D
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I have a serious amount of very long hair, and I go to a privately owned salon about every three-four months. I get highlights and lowlights, (full foil) a trim and my eyebrows waxed, and buy a product or two and it's a usually about $120. It takes 2-3 hours.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    $15

Every 8-12 weeks.
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I usually go every 6 weeks and typically my bill is around $170 or so. Usually color, cut, highlights.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    $500?! Where do you live, Beverly Hills? lol

I spend about $125 each for myself and my daughter. And she has the light brown taken to blonde look, too.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

How much does it cost you to go to the salon and get your hair done? What do you have done? How frequently do you go? Do you go to a chain or 'private' salon?

I'm asking because I began my little hair-dying-regimen when I was 13. The first time ever I had my dirty blonde hair (which was beginning to darken) bleached, trimmed and had red low lights put in. It was $500 with a tip, shampoo, conditioner, etc at Dillards.
    A few things happened and that was no longer affordable (I was going every 3 weeks and it was about $350). I got my hair dyed brown by a friend (natural color) and left it be for a few years.

..then I wanted to be blonde again, went to a cute little privately owned salon, and back to $400-$500 bills. I thought that was extreme, so I went to another guy I knew who does hair and, again, $400. This was for Caucasian hair that has been classified as a blonde (Darkest shade), not super thick hair, going to a lighter base with bleached streaks. It just sounds RIDICULOUS.

Where do you guys go, what do you pay? I don't know if I can keep up this extreme stuff for too long. >_>

That price is INSANE. I used to get the trim/highlights/style and it was around $120ish (without tip) every 6 weeks or so.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    $100 plus a $15 tip every 6 weeks. I go to a private salon.