Ah, so THAT's what 35lbs looks like....

Options
Hi all,

Shocked myself when I loaded up the scales with 35 lbs (the amount I need to lose) to see what it represents in reality.

To give you an idea...fill two large buckets with water and try and hold them for a few mintues.

That's how much extra weight my heart, muscles and joints are all hanging on to...no wonder I feeltired all the time!

For me, visualising the weight in this way has really helped me get to terms with the issue of my weight - this isn't a few Christmas turkey sandwiches, it's 20 years of getting the energy in v energy out equation wrong. As I take the lbs off, I plan to visualise it in the same way (bags of sugar?) - I'll post how it's going.

This is the first time I've joined anything like this, so any tips, or friends to help along the way, will be much appreciated.

Good luck to you all

D

Replies

• baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Welcome! you will love this site! lots of inspiration and encouragement! :)
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck with your journey.....i think maybe i need to do the same thing but with the weight that i have lost....try carrying it around for more than a minute....my 6 yr old son is like 52lbs and i have lost 58.4lbs so far....i guess i need to carry him up to bed tonight to REALLY get a good feel taste of where i never ever want to be again...thank you for the reminder....
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a great idea! One of my friend's mom was selling Herbalife and she had a 5lb block that she used to represent how much it really weighs. I forgot about that until now, but when I first picked that up visualizing how many multiples of the 5lb block I had to lose, it made me realize that it really is a lot of excess weight and not just a little fluff I need to lose.

Maybe I need to do this exercise to give myself that extra boost of motivation that I can't seem to find.
  • cherfurr
    Options
    Wow, that's a great visual!! And to think that our heart and other organs and working so hard with that weight! I, too, want to lose 35lbs and I appreicate your post!
  • gripperdo
    Options
    I'm going for 35 as well! It is true that we have been putting our bodies through too much by carrying around this extra weight. I like your idea of visualizing the amount of excess weight--rather than just having a number rambling around in my head!
    I remember Oprah wheeling out a red wagon of butter once for either herself or a guest on her show--to visualize this in the same way that you are...it is a reality check!
    Best wishes to you in your upcoming weeks of healthy changes!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I'm going for 35 as well! It is true that we have been putting our bodies through too much by carrying around this extra weight. I like your idea of visualizing the amount of excess weight--rather than just having a number rambling around in my head!
    I remember Oprah wheeling out a red wagon of butter once for either herself or a guest on her show--to visualize this in the same way that you are...it is a reality check!
    Best wishes to you in your upcoming weeks of healthy changes!

i remember oprah's gig...it wasnt butter lol it was FAT and it was DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Dtermined89
    Options
    what a good idea im gonna have to do the same lol
  • ctrlaltdelboy
    Options
    that's great!

what I find a great 'real world' visualisation of the excess baggage that needs to be shed is to use lard in cling-film packaged lumps of various weights - 3lb, 2lb, 1lb, 0.5lb - lard is pretty similar to what it is that you are actually losing - body fat.

if you have some of these (perhaps even to the whole 35lb!) then you really get a realistic picture of what you are talking about getting off your belly - FAT!

if you NEED to lose 35lb of body fat there's nothing to build resolve in that mission than to look at an actual pile of 35lb of fat and realise that is actually the excess amount that you are carrying around under your skin.

If you lose 2lb in a given week you can go to your 'fat store' and pick up a 2lb lump, take a good look at it, feel it in your hand, weigh it up and consider how you worked on your food discipline and/or excerise to burn it away from your body and then symbolically bin it resolving that now it's gone it's going to stay gone never to return.

keeping it real makes a big big difference to succeeding

good luck with it!

Darren
  • semiquaver
    Options
    Lol!!

I think if i had a block of lard i would end up cooking some sausages in it.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    7 or 8 months into my journey I had lost 40 lbs. D and I had to pick up some dog food, so we hit the pet store and grabbed the big bag of doggy chow. Carrying it out to the car it struck me - "Hey, this is how much weight I've lost!"

Carrying that made me realize how far I'd come, and how much I wasn't carrying around anymore. It put everything is perspective for me, and I think I cried a little right there in the Petland parking lot.

You'll get there, and it'll be sweet, I promise. :smile:
  • pgp_protector
    Options
    I'm almost 10Lbs down from when I stated (yea most of it was probably water from the salt cutback) but I also bought 2 5lbs weights for when I play my Xbox games, that one way to help me realize what I've lost, (Though I doubt I'll be using 2x 50lbs weights for working out, my over all goal for the end of the year)
  • dirlos
    dirlos Posts: 3
    Options
    That's a great idea...and very positive too...will be doing that, although might go for something dry over the other suggestions of fat and lard...my Father in Law lives with us and likes the heating at 25 degrees all the time so I'd soon have a VERY gooey mess to clear up.... :smile: