as per Scoobie calculations

Options
Hi all, I need your input on this...scoobie workshop calculated this...

BMR 1448

TDEE 1991

to lose eat 1593.........if I eat this and log in this number in MFP do I eat back exercise calories

..in Scoobie I entered light exercise 1 to 3 hours per week...everyday I do 40 to 60 mins of exercise ...is that light exercise

I have just come back today so my diary for now is empty..so by your answer I will apply that ok thanks

Replies

• mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    stick with the 1600 cals...don't eat back any exercise
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    TDEE 1991
    Eat less than your TDEE and you should lose weight.

..in Scoobie I entered light exercise 1 to 3 hours per week...everyday I do 40 to 60 mins of exercise ...is that light exercise
    Your numbers don't add up - if you are going to use a calorie calculator then put in the correct numbers and don't try to second guess the result.

do I eat back exercise calories
    If you are following TDEE minus a percentage then you don't eat back your exercise calories as you should have included them in your calculation. Which brings me back to wondering why you chose 1 to 3 hours of exercise a week when you say you are doing close to 6 hours?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure...meaning an estimate of your exercise activity is included in the calorie goal...eating back exercise calories would be double dipping.

You eat back calories with MFP because MFP is a NEAT method (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) calculator...your calorie goal is derived from your general activity WITHOUT exercise...thus making exercise an additional activity for which you would earn calories to "eat back".
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure...meaning an estimate of your exercise activity is included in the calorie goal...eating back exercise calories would be double dipping.

You eat back calories with MFP because MFP is a NEAT method (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) calculator...your calorie goal is derived from your general activity WITHOUT exercise...thus making exercise an additional activity for which you would earn calories to "eat back".

Great explanation of the two methods!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    TDEE 1991

Your numbers don't add up - if you are going to use a calorie calculator then put in the correct numbers and don't try to second guess the result.

If you are following TDEE minus a percentage then you don't eat back your exercise calories as you should have included them in your calculation. Which brings me back to wondering why you chose 1 to 3 hours of exercise a week when you say you are doing close to 6 hours?

this.

If you workout 3-5 hrs, etc weekly then use the correct numbers.
  • scorpio3322
    scorpio3322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    TDEE 1991

If you are following TDEE minus a percentage then you don't eat back your exercise calories as you should have included them in your calculation.

Which brings me back to wondering why you chose 1 to 3 hours of exercise a week when you say you are doing close to 6 hours?
    the reason I used 1-3 even if I do 40 to 60 mins exercise is that I do only that the rest of my day I do practically nothing else..I sit at my computer...what would you say I should use
  • scorpio3322
    Options
    TDEE 1991

this.

If you workout 3-5 hrs, etc weekly then use the correct numbers.
    please read my answer to that...I used 1-3 hours thinking that was enough due to the fact that other than that I do nothing else, I sit at my computer
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    the reason I used 1-3 even if I do 40 to 60 mins exercise is that I do only that the rest of my day I do practically nothing else..I sit at my computer...what would you say I should use
    The question asks you many hours you exercise - the answer is how many hours you exercise!

Don't over-complicate things. Use tools as designed and they will give you a start point - if you don't get the expected results over several weeks then adjust your numbers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    TDEE 1991

If you are following TDEE minus a percentage then you don't eat back your exercise calories as you should have included them in your calculation.

Which brings me back to wondering why you chose 1 to 3 hours of exercise a week when you say you are doing close to 6 hours?

I would say pick one and go with it...give it a month or so and make adjustments then as per real world results. These calculators give you a relatively good starting point to work with...but nobody has exactly a TDEE of XXXX.

Also, I have a desk job...I'm still moderate to strenuous as per my exercise and other activity outside of work. You ultimately have to call the ball and make adjustments as you see fit...these calculators aren't gospel.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    And sorry OP. I think my response or tone may have come across rude. Not my intention. :smile:
  • scorpio3322
    Options
    thank you for all your input on this matter and I will use the right amounts for the exercise..I thought I was being ok by using 1-3 without going over the calories given for me to eat.

@Sreneesa...thanks for your kind response and I did find it rude but I accept that you had not meant it to be :flowerforyou:

@Sijomial..not wanting to complicate things....just learning how to do this well , but thanks for your information I appreciate it :blushing:

@cwolfman..thanks for your taking time to give me good answers :drinker: