Advice from folks who have had gastric sleeve surgery

Options
I am very seriously considering getting gastric sleeve surgery. My employer just wen to a new high deductible insurance plan, so it will take me several months before I have enough in my HSA account to be able to afford surgery. So it gives me time to thoroughly check thing out and be sure in my mind whether or not to do this.

My wife has a concern... After surgery, I know that I will not be able to eat as much, but that is the goal anyway right? Anyway, her concern is that she thinks that I will be miserable when eating out with family or friends at restaurants, family potlucks, and holidays. I'm typically a quick eater and she afraid I will be bored while everyone else is eating and I'll be tempted to eat more.

Ho do you folks deal with this? Is is a valid issue?

Replies

• tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My husband had the gastric sleeve done in December. Since his recovery he's back on a regular diet (minus carbonated drinks, which are permanently off-limits).

Eating out is AWESOME now. For both of us. Now, we generally share an entree, so it's half the price, and he can't have anything to drink while eating or immediately after, so there's one less drink being ordered, as well. The only exception is buffets, which we have yet to go to since his surgery because, well... it's a waste of money, since he can't stuff himself anymore. (Which is also a win).

Also, after the surgery, he was told to eat very slowly. He chews every bite, and typically it takes him just as long to finish his 6oz dinner (or slightly longer) as it does the rest of the family to eat their larger servings. Yes, he has overeaten, and given himself wicked hiccups and stomach aches. But that's mostly because there's a learning curve to figuring out how much he CAN eat, and how slowly to eat so his body registers his fullness. Mostly, he can't eat more, and he's not tempted to eat more when we go out or visit family, because he FEELS full with the amounts he's getting.

Hope that made sense, and helps a little. :flowerforyou:
  • hthrburford
    Options
    Hello, my daughter had the sleeve June 3rd! We have been doing the liquids every 15 min. Including throughout the night! She was unable to keep down any liquids for the 1st day and we ended up in er to get Iv hydration, since we have had 1 ounce every 15 min and this includes waking up every 15 at night! When can we let her sleep through the night and increase the 1 ounce by a little?? Any advice will be so much appreciated! Worried mom!!! Oh and but he way she is 16!
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hello, my daughter had the sleeve June 3rd! We have been doing the liquids every 15 min. Including throughout the night! She was unable to keep down any liquids for the 1st day and we ended up in er to get Iv hydration, since we have had 1 ounce every 15 min and this includes waking up every 15 at night! When can we let her sleep through the night and increase the 1 ounce by a little?? Any advice will be so much appreciated! Worried mom!!! Oh and but he way she is 16!

I don't recall this being an issue for my husband. He was able to keep liquids down, starting a few hours after his surgery. He kept a big water bottle with him at all times, and slowly sipped water throughout the day, when he wasn't drinking a protein shake or having some greek yogurt.

I'd address those concerns with her doctor.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Anyway, her concern is that she thinks that I will be miserable when eating out with family or friends at restaurants, family potlucks, and holidays. I'm typically a quick eater and she afraid I will be bored while everyone else is eating and I'll be tempted to eat more.

Firstly, your wife probably knows you better than anyone else, and you know her better than anyone. At least, we hope that is the case with married couples.

Here is what I am hearing though; I could be completely wrong, but here goes.

At family dinners/potlucks/holidays it sounds like the gathering has historically been more about the food for you (eating quickly) then about the people you are visiting with (will be bored). Perhaps when you ate larger portions, extra servings, etc., it kept you at the table and engaging with people longer.

If that might be the case, then her concern has a second prong; that you will pay less attention to the people in your life (including her). Women are very relationship-oriented. We usually need more interactions with our loved ones, and your presence sitting and chatting with family and friends may mean a lot to her and her feeling that you are engaged with them all, and that makes you more invested in your combined social circle and thus less likely to abandon it, either for hobbies, the TV, or someone else.

Anyway, it's a shot in the dark but a perspective worth considering.

Best wishes for your health journey, whatever decision you make.
  • hoosiersec
    Options
    I just had my surgery a week ago. Nothing taste good. All I want is a soda. Its like mental torture. I have lost weight. It just seems everything is based around food. Be proud of your husband because it is so hard!! Thanks for sharing his story.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 years out and have had no complications and no regrets. I can eat normal (meaning 3-5 oz of meat with 1/2 cup of veggies and a few bites of salad or bread or potatoes) portions of food now. I enjoy eating out. My sleeve prevents me from overeating in restaurants. I used to be able to eat an appetizer, salad, whole restaurant portion of meat and sides, and dessert.

There is a group here called VSGers if you are looking for more information.
  • NancWill
    NancWill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved July 3rd, 3 months out and loving the decision I made to have surgery. Not only did I lose some weight but am also off all medications (diabetic on insulin prior) but I am truly enjoying life. I don't have one complaint and have also left my old complaining self behind. The first family gathering at a restaurant was a little uncomfortable but I was still in the liquid stage just after surgery, my other option was to stay home and not celebrate my Brother's birthday. Last week I took my Dad to my favorite Japanese restaurant for his birthday, I enjoyed making healthy choices, watching the healthy art of cooking done by the chef and the food was incredible. I ordered steak & shrimp which came with noodles, rice, veggies. I love people and interacting, I never realized how much time the love of food took away from the gathering in the past. I had a wonderful visit with my Dad and imagine I will be enjoying the get together more than the food in the future. I didn't even eat half of the protein, took the rest & the veggies home for another meal. It was a wonderful & memorable night out and I was completely satisfied. I say............if you're a candidate for the sleeve and it's what you really want...............go for it before complications of excess weight stop your opportunity. Good luck to you.