whey protein?

Options
should i only drink a whey protein supplement after weight lifting?
i do cardio 3 to 4 times a week and 2 days of weight training with personal trainer.

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Unless you're weight training while fasted, it probably doesn't matter when you have your protein supplement.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You should drink whey protein to assist with meeting your protien macro if you have a hard time doing so with food only. For the most part, timing is irrelevant and a matter of personal preference. Whey protein is a protein supplement. Meant to supplement protein. It is not some magical potion you take after working out to make your muscles bigger, or make you lose more fat, or whatever.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Whey is fast burning protein ideal for fueling muscle growth after a heavy lifting session. If you want something that's going to release gradually and keep you well fed with protein over a longer period casein is a better bet.

But honesty unless you are actually trying to bulk protein powder is kind of overkill for workout recovery and gains in the normal level there's really nothing better than good honest milk. If you are going to use milk for this go whole or semi skimmed. The fat in it really helps you absorb the protein.a

Milk has both btw and they absorb better than the powder. It's what makes it so good as a recovery drink.
  • rudy336
    rudy336 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. i am just drinking one shake after each weight lifting session. mix with just plain water. i do weightlifting twice a week. yes, i realize there's nothing magical about it etc. but i have noticed at least since i started using it that my muscles don't stay sore as long. i get my protein from food like chicken breasts etc.
  • riadhdeb
    riadhdeb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Not really if u r trying to loose weight
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started drinking a shake (with almond milk) before intense workouts and after. Calories are low (in some brands) and I feel it gives me the protein required to start that muscle repair. The pre-workout is just that -a pre-workout meal -to sustain my energy level.

I am not sure about the cardio part, is is like HIIT or Body Combat? If so, I would say go ahead and drink it. I did a lot of research before starting and I think there is a lot of opinions that really come down to do what works best for you, almost trial and error.

Best of luck!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You should drink whey protein to assist with meeting your protien macro if you have a hard time doing so with food only. For the most part, timing is irrelevant and a matter of personal preference. Whey protein is a protein supplement. Meant to supplement protein. It is not some magical potion you take after working out to make your muscles bigger, or make you lose more fat, or whatever.

This. I take a whey supplement during the day just because I set my protein macro high enough that I find it difficult to meet without supplementation with a protein shake. That said I don't really care what time of day I have it and if I got my protein from other sources I wouldn't need the whey shake.

As long as you are staying in your calorie limits or goal then there certainly is no harm in doing this and if it makes you feel better taking it after your workouts then keep that up, why not.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options

this makes no sense.

Its always good to have a protein shake after a workout.
    If you are trying to lose weight you just have to eat 120cals less in another meal...
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options

this makes no sense.

Its always good to have a protein shake after a workout.
    If you are trying to lose weight you just have to eat 120cals less in another meal...

I agree. I've had a protein shake, which includes fruit, after every weight training workout since before I started using MFP. It hasn't stopped me from losing weight, and it think it helps the muscles repair themselves, and with soreness. It may not be a requirement, as long as your diet includes sufficient other types of protein, but I think it's good insurance, and makes it easier to get enough protein without a lot of calories. I personally don't have one after cardio workouts.
  • KettyLoyd
    KettyLoyd Posts: 51
    Options
    Whey is fat burning supplement, well it is only good until you workout for losing weight. Well protein or supplement is not good for health, instead of this you take liquid diet like green tea, white tea, fruit juice etc, It really works in reducing weight.