Go low carb?

Options
I have been following a kind of low cal paleo program for the last couple of weeks(fruit, veg, protein, and a few seeds for snacking) combined with exercise. I have had success losing weight, but my friend who is doing Atkins is losing better. I wonder if I keep my calories the same, but cut out the fruit ( a banana and some berries per day usually) will I lose better? Anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Possibly, but usually if you are losing and comfortable with your current plan I would suggest sticking to it and just be patient. Aslo, I have to ask, are you comparing yourself against someone who has much more weight to lose than yourself? If so then you need to stop. You have to lose at a rate that is healthy for your goal, not someone elses.

~Best wishes
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How would you keep calories the same while cutting out fruit? What would you be adding in to replace the calories lost from not eating the fruit? Regardless, the answer is no, if you keep calories the same you're not going to change your rate of weight loss (assuming you have no insulin resistance/diabetic condition). Any number of things could be causing your friend to lose weight more quickly than you are, but it all boils down to your friend having a larger caloric deficit than you.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Possibly, but usually if you are losing and comfortable with your current plan I would suggest sticking to it and just be patient. Aslo, I have to ask, are you comparing yourself against someone who has much more weight to lose than yourself? If so then you need to stop. You have to lose at a rate that is healthy for your goal, not someone elses.

~Best wishes

Definitely this!

If you're looking to change it up a little, you can try the low carb, but it isn't ideal for everyone and if you're having luck now you might as well stick to it instead of making your diet even more restrictive.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The answer is no, if you keep calories the same you're not going to change your rate of weight loss (assuming you have no insulin resistance/diabetic condition). Any number of things could be causing your friend to lose weight more quickly than you are, but it all boils down to your friend having a larger caloric deficit than you.

This.
  • GothJuice
    GothJuice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't matter, calories do. Besides, the Atkins diet is supposed to be temporary, it's not a long term solution. I have a friend who insists on doing atkins and has been yoyo dieting using it for the past two years, my weight loss occurs slowly along side hers, but mine is staying off, hers isn't. If your diet is comfortable for you and working well why change it, you're making a lifestyle change here, you have to be permanently happy with it.
    Personally my attitude tends to be don't cut out foods unless for strong moral opinions or allergies, why needlessly deprive your body of something? As long as you don't have stuff in access then it is fine.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a modified Paleo you are already doing low enough carbs that you are where an Atkins person would be after a few weeks. Long term, you want fewer than 35% of your calories from complex carbs.

Count your calories. Don't eat a lot (more than 50%) of simple carbs. Protein keeps you from getting hungry. Don't overthink it.
  • meddy78
    meddy78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responses everyone.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Well depends. Do you want to wreck your health to lose weight.

Cos that's what the Atkins diet does ... just sayin.

Lost all my weight without cuttin no carbs. XD
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    They really are two very different things. Low carb is likely a keto diet -- where you're looking to induce ketosis so your body is mostly fueled by ketones rather than glucose. It works really well for some, especially those with glucose metabolism issues (like insulin resistance), but not so much for others.

You can have your carbs all over the place with Paleo -- fruit and starchy vegetables usually being the big carb loads. You could cut down carbs and see how it works for you -- aim for 50-100 per day. If you notice a difference, great. If not, then don't worry about it. It really is a personal preference that works better for some and not for others.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Honestly I gave low-carb (Ketosis) a legitimate try recently.

I spent about 6 weeks at under 20 net carbs a day.

I was tired, sluggish (that energy boost everyone else gets, didn't happen), foggy minded, weak, constantly hungry, famished, hangry and emotional the entire time.

It was miserable.

And, I got sick, truly sick, and missed two days of work, for the first time in years.

20 net carbs is not enough for me to take in the fruit and veg level my body thrives on.

I've seen it do "miracles" for others, but my body doesn't jive with it's chemistry.

I went back to normal Paleo (which is still pretty low carb) but I've been really enjoying bananas, mangos, and sushi!

I love not caring less if I go over 20 carbs and my keto stick is clear than I feel sluggish for days because I just couldn't live without another serving of veg. That's kind of like intentionally dieting yourself into sickness.

Good luck!

Do what works for you.

PS I lost 0 weight in keto. I truly believe what I did lose was water weight because I started in the 180's, ended in the 180's, and I'm still in the 180's. Lots of suffering for 0 progress.
  • meddy78
    meddy78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks Asa, your response answered the questions I had. I've been at 75-90 carbs per day most days. I considered shifting down to 20, but wasn't sure I would feel well at such a low amount of carbs or if it would even make much of a difference. I think I'm gonna keep my fruit and sweet potatoes after all.
  • Holly_k88
    Holly_k88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Im low carb and I love it, I got into it after reading about the blood type diet. The new atkins has a bigger focus on veg rather than meat and has introduced a carb ladder where you can introduce new higher carb foods depending on how fast you want to loose weight and what stages your at. I don't consider it to be unhealthy and its very close to the paleo diet. If you are adding healthy fats to your diet it keeps you satisfied for longer, I don't eat nowhere near the amount of calories I used to, Im not as hungry. Berries are really low in carbs (not blueberries) so I wouldn't cut them out but maybe swap your bananas for something else, an apricot maybe and just swap your high carb root vegetables for others that are more low carb. If you want more information maybe have a look on the website and decide for yourself
    Hope this helps you with your decision :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have been following a kind of low cal paleo program for the last couple of weeks(fruit, veg, protein, and a few seeds for snacking) combined with exercise. I have had success losing weight, but my friend who is doing Atkins is losing better. I wonder if I keep my calories the same, but cut out the fruit ( a banana and some berries per day usually) will I lose better? Anyone have any experience with this?
    Sounds like what you're doing is working and is nice and healthy. Is it something you can sustain? That's the key.
  • Holly_k88
    Options
    Yeah actually I feel I can sustain this long term, my body doesn't seem to cope well with high amounts of carbs they make me bloated and sluggish. Also I've not felt like 'I'm missing out' no matter where you go theres always a low carb option and I'm never eating processed food
    Each to their own
  • Holly_k88
    Options
    [/quote]Sounds like what you're doing is working and is nice and healthy. Is it something you can sustain? That's the key.
    [/quote]

Sorry about this I didn't read the quote, my mistake :)
  • systemlayers
    Options
    Don't start any diet you can't see yourself sustaining 95%+ for many years. For me I've reduced my carbs for several months and mostly have been very happy with it. My weakness has always been pizza but recently I tried going back to it by having a slice and 'fitting it in my macros' but ended up just feeling disgusting.
    Just remember to get plenty of high quality protein and nuts to fill you up.