Calories in homemade chicken stock?

Options
Normally I just rack everything up in the recipe tool, but the interesting problem with chicken stock is that when it's done cooking, all the ingredients (minus spices etc) are strained out of it. I do not skim the fat, I buy grass-fed & free range meats and I want that delicious gelatin and saturated fat haha!

Is there any practical way to find out the nutrition information for this? I put a chicken carcass, or a couple of roasted beef bones, in 6 cups of water with browned onion, carrots, and celery. I'm thinking it's pretty low calorie, but in the winter time I like to drink multiple cups a day so it probably adds up when you don't skim the fat.

Thank you!

Replies

• Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Homemade chicken stock and bone broth are actually in the food database. May not be perfect, but I use it. It seems to be a bit higher in calories than storebought stock, but also more nutritious, which makes sense.
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Not the exact answer but a suggestion. If you freeze your stock, you can always remove the top layer of frozen fat before using. That really is where most of the calories are anyway, I think.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Not the exact answer but a suggestion. If you freeze your stock, you can always remove the top layer of frozen fat before using. That really is where most of the calories are anyway, I think.

nah man, I'm not worried about making it low calories. All that fat is what makes it delicious and nutritious, I'll just eat less of it. I just figure most of the chicken stock entries on MFP are fat free and mine isn't
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible confession. I refrigerate the broth so the fat solidifies on top and I save that fat. When I have enough of it, I make pie crust for chicken pot pie. Evilly delicious pie crust!
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't know the difference between chicken broth and chicken stock :/ What is the difference?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I don't know the difference between chicken broth and chicken stock :/ What is the difference?

Technically, stock is made from proportionally more bones and broth is made from proportionally more meat.

Some folks specify that a stock is made without the addition of seasonings or vegetables. Others don't make this distinction but say one is made with raw bones and the other with cooked. It's hard to find definitions everyone agrees on.

If you aren't in a commercial, fine cooking situation, it probably doesn't make much difference. In common parlance, folks use the two terms interchangeably.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Technically, stock is made from proportionally more bones and broth is made from proportionally more meat.

Some folks specify that a stock is made without the addition of seasonings or vegetables. Others don't make this distinction but say one is made with raw bones and the other with cooked. It's hard to find definitions everyone agrees on.

If you aren't in a commercial, fine cooking situation, it probably doesn't make much difference. In common parlance, folks use the two terms interchangeably.

Thanks, that clears things up!