I don't like veggies.

Options
2»

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Veggies on the grill are great! Slice up red peppers, onions, zuchinni, asparagus (whatever), spray with a little olive oil and grill! Add a nice flavor to them and might help you transition into eating them. Hiding the veggies in other foods is a great way to eat more. Puree them into sauces or meatloaf or turkey patties... stir some canned pure pumpkin into yogurt, add pureed veggies to stocks/broths to make yummy soups.
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I looove vegetables!!
    But!! I do have a 9 yo, 4 yo, and 2 yo, and a super picky husband that I have to please!
    So! My advice is buy a good cookbook: I personally use Cooking Light and the Sonoma Diet books almost exclusively for veggie prep. Rachel Ray also has a ton of good vegetable recipes.
    Try grilling them, sauteeing them, and roasting them. Sea salt and olive oil does wonders for any food, and vegetables are no exception. Try a grilled veggie sandwich, with herbed mayo. So good!!
    And start with some more palatable veggies: zucchini, asparagus, sweet potatoes, broccoli (but not steamed--blech!!! Grill it with some lemon juice, sea salt, olive oil).
    Oh! And definitely hummus, pb, and ranch dips also go along way!!!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    There's a book out by Jerry Seinfeld's wife for parents with kids who are picky eaters called "Deceptively Delicious," with recipes that "hide" veggies in traditional recipes. That might give you some ideas on how to get them in your meals.

Try these:
    1 tsp canola oil
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1lb ground turkey
    1 zucchini
    1 onion
    1c. Mushrooms
    1 yellow squash
    1 can healthy harvest cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 c. Fat free plain yogurt

Dice all the veggies very small. Heat oil in large non stick skillet over medium high heat. Add all the veggies, turkey and salt. Cook til meat is browned and veggies are very tender. Add soup and yogurt and heat through. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed and pour over cooked brown rice or cooked wheat pasta! It's so good and the veggies are hidden well
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I don't like many veggies either. Here are my tips:
    Red, yellow and orange peppers are sweeter than green peppers (they are riper, and if you grill them or roast them they get even sweeter)
    Roasted root vegetables are easy and tasty-carrots, squash, parsnips, beets, all have a really good flavor if you sprinkle them with olive oil and sea salt and then oven baked for an hour at 375 degrees.
    Asparagus is good broiled or grilled with a little olive oil and salt, then add balsamic at the end.
    I like salads, I mix the good greens with the crunchy greens, I like pear and gorganzola with a vinegrette.
    Also, you can grill zuchini or squash with garlic salt..
    You're doing better than me, I cannot do broccoli in any way-it does not have the texture of food, let alone the taste:tongue:
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    Drink V8, or the V8 fruit fusions (they might taste better to you and still have serving of veggies). While not ideal, this is an acceptable way to start getting veggies in your diet (my cousin, the registered dietician verified this).
  • 2hdesign
    Options
    try something like this:

"Home on the Ranch" Style Vegetables
    Serves 4
    1/4 of recipe
    51.92 Calories per serving
    Fat per serving: 0.41 g

Ingredients
    1 cup - CAULIFLOWER, RAW
    2 cups - BROCCOLI, RAW, chopped
    3/4 cups - CARROT, RAW, strips or slices
    1/2 cup - CELERY, RAW, strips
    1/2 cup - ONION, RAW, chopped
    1/4 tsp - DILL WEED, DRIED
    1-1/2 tbsp - LEMON JUICE
    2 tbsp - SALAD DRESSING, RANCH, NONFAT

Directions
    Break cauliflower and broccoli into bit-sized pieces. Slice carrots and celery. Chop onion.

Fill a 1-1/2 quart microwave-safe dish with vegetables.

Add dill and lemon juice.

Cover and microwave 5 to 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.

Drain, mix in dressing, and serve.

Calories: 51.92 cal
    Total Fat: 0.41 g
  • 2hdesign
    Options
    Oh and how about putting them in a soup? Beef veggie. Chicken noddle (with carrots, celery, onions). Brocolli Cheese (i have a relatively healthy recipe for this).
  • kctj0815
    Options
    Wow... I am loving this website more and more everyday...!!!!

Thank you EVERYBODY for the responses! A lot of great ideas... and all stuff I'm capable of and am willing to try...

And for the not so appetizing veggies.... that's why I asked for (and got!) a food processor for Christmas this year! :)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    cook your veggies in chicken broth, it will add a little flavor, and only a few, very very few calories. Try not to over cook veggies either, veggies should be al dente like your pasta or firmer and if your green veggies are turning brownish green you have over cooked.

Cucumbers are an odd one to start with, to me, but at least you are trying. My husband is a chef and something he learned in culinary school was if there is a food your palate isn't used to you should take a small bite everyday and chew it and let the flavor sit in your mouth for a minute or so and eventually you will get used to it. :wink:
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I agree with the roasted root vegetables. They're delicious. I happen to LOVE veggies, sorry! :o I think it's from reprogramming myself, however, like the one post above said.

I try to put out veggie or fruit plates daily for my kids. I HIGHLY recommend it; if they don't get used to it early, they'll hate it. My oldest NEVER NEVER eats veggies, but I try to sneak stuff in.

Prego's veggie sauce is good; if you like more processed stuff, Morningstar Veggie Chik patties are good, or chik nuggets, which are all vegetarian. Again, it's processed, but it's better than nothing.

The truth is, all the research shows, the more fruits & veggies we eat, the healthier we are and the longer we live.

Good luck!