Is a net calories of 1000 too low?

Options
Okay, so I've been eating 1200 calories each day and working out and burning 200-300 calories. That brings my net calories to about 900-1000. My BMR rate is 1350 calories, so I don't know if I should eat back my calories or not.

Replies

• rebeccawesterfield5
    rebeccawesterfield5 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Yes. If your BMR is 1350, you shouldn't be going below 1350 for an extended period of time unless you're completely sedentary, which you clearly are not.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You're going to hear from people who strongly think you should eat all your calories back (since your MFP totals are already set at a deficit), people who think you shouldn't bother to eat back your calories (if you aren't hungry because you'll lose weight faster) and people who will say to eat some or half of your exercise calories back (due to your 1350 BMR).
    And then it'll likely spiral off to a conversation about whether calories consumed are accurately reported, and where you're getting your calories burned from and if that's accurate (HRM is best, machine readouts and MFP tend to be over)...

TLDR- eat if you're hungry, don't if you're not
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    'Net calories' is a stupid concept. If you put into MFP that you are 'moderately active' (or whatever would incorporate your exercise), it would tell you to eat 1200/day and you wouldn't be encouraged to 'eat anything back'. But if you put in that you're less active, you're expected to 'eat back', solely because you called some calories 'exercise' vs. 'daily activity'. It makes no sense.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    yes_logo_zpsa0e64b71.png
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on how much you need to lose, how much exercise you do, and how hungry you are. Despite those that will cry out about "starvation mode" if you do any research about it, you'll soon learn it's an absolute myth. Unless you have less than 5% body fat, it is absolutely impossible to put your body into starvation mode. Bariatric diets typically range between 600-1000 calories with no eating back of calories. If you are active and you are hungry, eat the calories back, but don't eat for the sake of eating just to get to a calorie number. If your body needs the calories, it will tell you. No one on MFP or anywhere else can tell you more than your own body will.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    'Net calories' is a stupid concept. If you put into MFP that you are 'moderately active' (or whatever would incorporate your exercise), it would tell you to eat 1200/day and you wouldn't be encouraged to 'eat anything back'. But if you put in that you're less active, you're expected to 'eat back', solely because you called some calories 'exercise' vs. 'daily activity'. It makes no sense.

MFP doesn't account for exercise at all in their activity levels. It is based on NEAT (Non exercise activity thermogenesis). The whole site is based on the "stupid concept" which really is a just different way of coming to the same end of TDEE.

If you are following MFP's formulas, yes, you eat back the exercise calories.
  • mikefit48
    mikefit48 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't EVER in LIFE eat less than 1200 calories. There is no reason to.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Short term its probably fine. Not sustainable long term.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem too!!! My BMR is 1800 calories but after exercise is taken out I barely get to 1000 calories.
    This is what I have eaten today. I need to add the broccoli, carrots and zucchini still for dinner.

http://s1328.photobucket.com/albums/w533/carleyschofield/?action=view&current=d4d825e5d248e8f7fb539fb840eefbed_zps9fb8fd78.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've been eating 1200 calories each day and working out and burning 200-300 calories. That brings my net calories to about 900-1000. My BMR rate is 1350 calories, so I don't know if I should eat back my calories or not.

If you can maintain your activity level without losing performance, you're by definition not under-eating.
  • claudublin
    claudublin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sounds like way too little, if you under eat you slow down your metabolism, instead of boosting it! Just go by what MFP suggests in terms of calories, a friend of mine lost 6 st that way! MFP counts exercise into the calories you need to loose the weight you entered into the calculation.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You're going to hear from people who strongly think you should eat all your calories back (since your MFP totals are already set at a deficit), people who think you shouldn't bother to eat back your calories (if you aren't hungry because you'll lose weight faster) and people who will say to eat some or half of your exercise calories back (due to your 1350 BMR).
    And then it'll likely spiral off to a conversation about whether calories consumed are accurately reported, and where you're getting your calories burned from and if that's accurate (HRM is best, machine readouts and MFP tend to be over)...

Hunger is not the best indicator of what the body needs for fuel. Our bodies will shut down hunger cues if we go to long on low calories...

So no...

to the OP eat your exercise calories back all of them esp since you are at 1200 calories a day.
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. There are days I want to eat everything in sight, and some days where I have a hard time even reaching 1200. It's very scientific, lol.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem too!!! My BMR is 1800 calories but after exercise is taken out I barely get to 1000 calories.
    This is what I have eaten today. I need to add the broccoli, carrots and zucchini still for dinner.

http://s1328.photobucket.com/albums/w533/carleyschofield/?action=view&current=d4d825e5d248e8f7fb539fb840eefbed_zps9fb8fd78.jpg

Are you sure your BMR is 1800? You're ticker says you have about 30 lbs to lose, usually BMR is lower.

Your diary shows a lot of low fat/low calorie food. Adding something like a handful of nuts, nut butters, oils, avodcado, cheese, etc can quickly add calories without adding a ton of food. There are plenty of calorie dense foods that are also nutrient dense. There is no need to avoid higher calorie foods, particularly if you are having difficulty meeting your calorie goal.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker you don't have much weight to lose, you should only try to lose 1/2 lb a week for increased odds of keeping it off. Read the following links, they will really help you understand the process and answer a lot of your questions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Hunger is not the best indicator of what the body needs for fuel. Our bodies will shut down hunger cues if we go to long on low calories...

So no...

to the OP eat your exercise calories back all of them esp since you are at 1200 calories a day.

I guess you know more than the doctors I work with...cool, I hope you get commensurate pay! :)