Tips on how to lose weight with Hypothyriodism?

Options
So I haven't been using this website for a while because of family issues, I've been in charge of my niece and nephew for the past two years because their mother died and their father, who is my older brother, doesn't want to take charge of them. So I'm basically mommy now. I've been gaining weight like crazy since I didn't go to school last semester and just stayed home to care for my nephew. Because of that, I'm now gained the most I have in my life, which is 190. I'm so upset and I wish I could do more, but I have no idea what I can do to lose the weight. I have hypothyroidism and planning to eat less than before and exercise, but what DVDs could you recommend to buy? or even a video game on the will or ps3 move to do exercise? the most bothersome part of my body is my arms, which I really want to slim down, but what can I do to do that? Any tips? Also, any food tips for hypothyroidism?

Replies

• magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The #1 best thing you can do for hypothyroidism is get medical treatment (synthroid or the like, your doctor will know). After that, it's like everyone else, though maybe a little harder. Just keep in mind that hypothyroidism only accounts for like a 15 lb weight gain, so you should be able to get close to your goal with any lifestyle change that moves your calorie intake below your calorie expenditure.

I have my own views/theories based on what I've found works for me, but this is your soapbox, so I won't shout myself. You *can* still lose weight, especially if you're properly medicated. It may be slower, take a little more effort, you may have to move a little more (but chasing kids is great movement!), but you'll be able to do it.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a lot for a young person like you to take on. I'm sorry for your loss, and thinking that's a lot of responsibility for your family to saddle you with. But you're asking about weight loss and hypo. I have hypothyroidism and I think if your levels are stable and your medication dosage is right, you should proceed like most other people using this website: exercise and calorie-counting. The only food tip I have is I heard people with thyroid disease are supposed to avoid soy. Come up with goals and a plan for exercise and eating, and stick to it. Find an exercise you really like, whether it's swimming or walking or biking or fitness DVDs, and do it.

For me, most of my weight loss came from doing Zumba, learning swim helped burn the last few pounds because it was so new to my body, and kickboxing helped tone my arms and legs. But find what *you* love to do, and keep on top of that food diary. On exercise alone I lost nothing. You can do it!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism and PCOS as well, both which hinder weight loss. I've found that what works for me is making sure I stay medicated and keeping up with doctor appointments. That's really it. As long as I'm taking Levothyroxine and keeping in calorie deficit, I'm losing great.
  • EddieEHitler
    EddieEHitler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey Black Rose,

First of all, sorry for your loss and second of all, well done for taking charge of your neice and nephew. Give yourself a big pat on the back for that!

Here's my opinion. Some will shoot me down for it and others won't. Of course, it would do no harm to seek advice from a doctor but before taking any medication see if you can improve on your thyroid condition with more natual remedies. The reason I say this is because medication almost always has side effects. I've also been really struggling with losing weight, despite adjusting to intermittent fasting 3 weeks ago. I hadn't lost a pound and it was suggested that I could have hypothyroidism. I'm not saying for sure this is the case but what I have done is take some supplements that will hopefully improve. I can certainly say that in the last week or so my energy levels have increased dramically!

Anyway, to keep this brief, look on youTube about iodine defficiency. Supposedly, this is the main reason for hypo/hyperthyroidism. There's some great videos on iodine which may help. Also, there is an excellent book which I would recommend called 'Your Thyroid - and how to keep it healthy' available on Kindle and the like. It has some really detailed information. I didn't understand quite a bit of it to be perfectly honest but I got the main point of it!

Sorry, I realise this is probably quite a controversial subject but for me peronsally, medication would be the absolute last resort. Best of luck whatever you decide and good luck with the weight loss!
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Make sure you take your thyroid replacement medicine ( Synthroid, Levothyroxine...whatever it is) faithfully FIRST thing in the morning without food. Do not eat for thirty minutes after. Certain foods and minerals counteract the medicine so take it alone. I gained 100 pounds before I found out I had Hashimotos Hypothyroidism. When I first started taking Synthroid I lost 50 pounds with very little effort. If you take your meds correctly the disease has little effect. Your food choices and exercise choices have more to do with your weight than your controlled Hypothyroidism. I have lived with it for 23 years and my dosage is 200. My poor food choices, stress, and lack of exercise are what make me fat. :)
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Levothyroxine and Synthroid are simply hormone replacement. Hashimotos Hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease. My body basically destroys my thyroid so I need to replace it. Iodine will not help me. The drugs your dr give you only replace what your body would naturally make and use. Thyroid controls everything in your body and not having enough of it does way more than just effect your weight. Be very careful and take your meds.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba DVDs, which I like. Zumba is also available on Wii and XBOX. There are a lot of good DVD programs ranging in price from the Jillian Michaels workouts at Walmart ($10) up to Insanity or P90X ($150).

Make sure you count your calories accurately. And don't eat back more than half of those exercise calories because people tend to overestimate the burn and underestimate how much they eat.

As for your arms, you cannot "spot reduce"... you will need to lower your overall body fat percentage. Your body chooses which order to take the fat off in (genetics). Once you get to a low body fat percentage your muscles will become more visible and then you can do strength training to shape your muscles.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Just Dance and Zumba could be fun to do with the kiddos! And running around outside with them when it's nice!
  • JessicaCambrik
    Options
  • Black_rose1809
    Black_rose1809 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! :3

To point out, I'm already under medication by doctor, taking generic levithyroxine and also taking metformin, because of my sugar levels. My doctor told me to not any bread, but I really don't understand why. I'm trying to cut down on bread. I'm currently trying to lower my calories and because my job requires me to walk a lot (Sales Associate at Old Navy) and bend and pick up things, I'm getting a lot of cardiovascular exercise. I'm thinking of looking on Craigslist for an exercise bike, prob cheap. But until then, I've bought Just Dance 4 and been dancing like crazy with my niece and nephew, pretty fun. I don't know about Zumba though, I tried it before at my community college, but I felt really embarrassed, so i think maybe a DVD would be nice, but I think Just Dance 4 seems like Zumba in a sense, I'll prob give it at try a bit to see if it works for me.