Constipated and nothing is working. HELP!

Options
So, this post might be a little tmi, but I'm started to get worried. I've been constipated for about a week now and I've tried everything. Prunes: nothing at all. Metamucil: Caused severe bloating and gas. High fiber foods (cereals, broccoli, etc..): Nothing. Dulcolax: used to work really well, but I took three last night and four tonight, nothing so far. Milk of Magnesia: Helps a little, but not enough. Phillips stool softeners: nothing.

I have been binging on bread uncontrollably for the past couple of days, which is probably a factor to the constipation. I just don't know what to do. I can't see the doctor until friday. I just feel really bloated and gross. I can feel my intestines packed with literal *kitten*. I've been drinking enough water. What should I do?

Replies

• coboltpunch
    Options
    Maybe too much fiber. Try probiotics, make sure to get the kind with different strains.
  • katmustbeskinny
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have probiotics as a part of my daily vitamin and mineral concoction. So, it's not working apparently.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Coffee? A tablespoon of some kind of oil? Are you eating enough fats?
  • katmustbeskinny
    Options
    Coffee? A tablespoon of some kind of oil? Are you eating enough fats?

I have a health condition, so I cannot drink caffeinated drinks. How does oil help the GI track?
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Enema?
  • katmustbeskinny
    Options
    Enema?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Tried it. Nothing but water came out.
  • frances_bacon
    frances_bacon Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try apple cider vinegar (roughly one tablespoon mixed with a glass of water) two or three times a day. I have heard that helps.
  • dcnemesis
    dcnemesis Posts: 31
    Options
    A week is a long time. If you are having pains in the stomach or anything similar I would get some medical advice where they can ask you all that TMI stuff :)

I also have this issue often. My advice would be stop taking laxatives or whatever these pills qualify as. Your body is probably very used to them by now so it is just a waste. And could lead to dependence.

My recipe is green tea (decaffeintated for you of course) because it just helps metabolism, no laxatives or whatever, and exercise. Doesn't have to be working out, just increase walking or sit on an exercise ball instead of the couch if you watch something. It's hard to say without knowing more.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    MiraLax
    Grapes...raisins
    I love prunes...they come in a canister or in a bag/box where theyre individually wrapped.
    I like both but the single 1's seem to taste juicier and more fresh.
    I cant hardly drink the juice but the actual fruit is good!
    Here are some more fruit options:
    •Apricots
    •Figs
    •Papaya
    •Peaches
    •Pears
    •Pineapple
    Also, drinking water will assist you in passing your BMs
    Beans: Canella, garbanzo, kidney, navy and pinto
    Greens: Chard, kale and spinach
    Vegetables: Artichoke hearts, asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, green beans, peas and squash
    •High fiber breakfast cereals (look for at least 8 grams of fiber per serving)
    •Brown rice
    •Barley
    •Millet
    •Flaxseed
    Best prevention tip: remember this: FRUITS THAT START WITH "P" WILL MAKE YOU POOP! REGULARLY! Peaches, pineapple, pears, plums, prunes, papaya! Also: FRUITS EATEN WITH THE PEEL ON WILL MAKE YOU POOP! Peaches, pears, plums, grapes, blueberries, raisins, berries, cherries, cranberry, dates, prunes, figs, etc. Drink water instead of any other beverage most of the time.
  • katmustbeskinny
    Options
    I've had constipation problems by whole life. I don't hurt or anything. But my intestines are quite full, and I feel disgusting. I'm scared to eat more because it'll just add up to the whole mess.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. Fibre does not work on its own. Fibre and water work together. If you increase fibre without increasing water, then that can actually make it worse. Mild dehydration is the most common cause of constipation.

Also, fat helps. Low fat diets are a bad idea anyway, but one negative consequence of too little fat is constipation.

8 cups of water a day may be the standard recommendation but how much water you need depends on the climate and your activity levels. I'm guessing you live in the Northern hemisphere so that means it's summer right now, so you need to drink quite a bit more water than usual when it's hot. Also, when you exercise you need to drink more water. As a rule, the more you sweat the more water you need to drink.

Try drinking plenty of water - if you're already getting 8 cups a day then you probably need quite a lot more than that. I live in Bahrain and can easily drink 2-3 litres of water in a day and still be thirsty.

ETA: if you're sure you're drinking enough water for the climate you're in, then I agree with the advice to see a doctor
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Make a glass of milk + ground flax seed + banana + strawberries and you'll be set ;)
  • MizMimi111
    Options
    Enema?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Tried it. Nothing but water came out.

Time for a doctor. Sooner rather than later.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Go to the pharmacy and get an enema. If that doesn't work get to a doctor. There could be something more going on than just constipation such as a bowel obstruction.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Personally, I say stop trying to go to have a bowel movement until you see the doctor. When you do not eat enough, you may just not poop. You need to fuel your body properly and be in the right mind set to be healthy. Speak to your doctor and find a program or support group in your area to help you get away from eating disorders.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Apart from the bread you 'binged' on, is there anything else that you have eaten?
  • Kelseyyyy22
    Kelseyyyy22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eat sugar-free So Delicious Ice Cream -- fiber which might help, plus fake sugars which are a diuretic to make you move. I I eat it, I always wake up the next morning and go.
  • MizMimi111
    Options
    Okay, I just looked at your profile and diary. You have an eating disorder.

You need to seek professional help.

Please.