Cheerleading & Weight loss

Options
Serious problem:
I'm a HS senior cheerleader, currently training for college cheerleading. A huge part of college cheerleading is being able to partner stunt, which, obviously, the smaller the flyer is the better for the guy underneath you. I'm 5'7, 125 lbs, and my coach said that anywhere from 105-110 lbs for me would be perfect, as my height already makes me harder to lift. I've always had a pretty healthy lifestyle... Waiting tables 20 hours a week, hitting the gym 3 times a week, on top of cheer, tumbling, and stunting practices. But as I decrease my calorie intake to 1200 and try to work out 1-2 times A DAY, I'm only a week into this new regimen & killing myself over these 17ish pounds and beginning to wonder if that weight is healthy, let alone attainable. If so, how can I lose this weight within a few months and still be healthy?! Thoughts? Tips?

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I feel like that weight range is an unhealthy goal. Based on your height, the "healthy" BMI range is from 118.1-159.6 pounds.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself an expert at weight loss by any means… but by everything I can find, You are already at a perfectly healthy weight. In fact… at 110, you would actually be medically UNDERWEIGHT, by BMI scales. A lighter weight might be desirable for cheerleading, but at your height, I think your coach is recommending something that could be unhealthy for you.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    My niece got told as a teen that she was growing to big for a ballerina. (She ended up being 6 feet tall.) She was disappointed but picked a different direction and rowed women's crew at a division I university. This year, she and her father ran the New York Marathon. Maybe you should make this your oppotunity to change sports?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    too light. I think 125lbs is too light for your height actually.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Thoughts? This is how girls end up with eating disorders.
  • hockeychick8766
    hockeychick8766 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a flyer that was 5'7.
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Is that the college coach or the high school coach? If you already know where you're going, maybe try talking to the college coach and see what they prefer. Asking what's needed beforehand may help also build a good rep with the college coach and may help with getting in.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

This. You don't need to lose weight. Your coach is an idiot.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I feel like that weight range is an unhealthy goal. Based on your height, the "healthy" BMI range is from 118.1-159.6 pounds.

Ditto. You will not be at a healthy weight at 105-110 lbs at 5' 7". Too skinny. tell the coach to worry about your health more than what's best for the team.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I have never seen a flyer that was 5'7.

I second this. As someone who cheered in high school and almost joined a college cheer team but ended up not being able to because of my knee problems, I can assure you that at 5'7", you will NOT be a flyer. I was a flyer and was only 5'1"/5'2" at the time. I've grown an inch since then. You will likely be a back spot.

And as for your coach, you can tell her to kick rocks because you are already at the bottom of the weight range for someone your height.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Find a stronger tosser. 125 is plenty light. If this "coach" doesnt like it, take your athletisism to another sport.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Tell the coach you are not willing to meet his/her unhealthy weight expectations in order to fly. I am 5' 7" and lifted my 4' 10" friend Wendy. It took Adrianne & me to catch her, but it was fun. Those were the good old days. I am not telling you to be a lifter, teams have guys for that now, but I am telling you, don't make yourself sick for something that probably won't happen even if you do.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Imo your coach should encourage his lifters to put on more muscle rather than encourage his flyers to starve themselves into unhealthy weights.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I was a base and back spot for a girl in high school who was 5'7 and about 130 lbs (I was only 5'3). And it was a cake walk... how? Because she had perfect technique. She felt light as a feather and was the easiest flyer I've ever lifted. I agree that you don't have to lose weight if you concentrate on your skills. Also, nail down what school you want to to go to and what their stunt groups look like. Sometimes there are all girl squads, or your school might have bigger guys who will have no problem lifting you. If you show the college coaches that you have great stunt technique, great crowd work and gymnastics skills, your weight shouldn't be an obstacle.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options

This. You don't need to lose weight. Your coach is an idiot.

Agree with both.
  • carolvesier
    carolvesier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in the same boat (5'7") is too tall for a coed team. Her cheerleading coach suggested she should look at all girl teams. No height restriction, but you will need to be able to base/back spot, plus do some tumbling.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly! Encouraging a young woman who is a healthy weight to lose 17 pounds is just wrong.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    God, I love cheerleaders.

Bless you.