P.C.O.S calorie vs carbs

Options
HELP!!!! I have a question. I am REALLY trying to watch my carb intake, I have something called PCOS, but I'm getting too few calories but my carbs are STILL on the higher side of where I would like them. I have pretty much cut out bread, pasta, and other refined/processed food. I did keep small amounts of fruit and a half a cup of greek yogurt. I did a practice run of today's menu and it only has me eating 950 calories BEFORE working out. I know its WAY too few.....any ideas or should I just see how this pans out and just find things to increase my calories and not worry so much about the carb intake?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tuesday looks good. I am not a professional but I have family members with blood sugar issues that got out of control. Having said that, here are my suggestions:

Places to cut/ lower:

peanut butter (has a lot of sugar unless you buy the natural kind)
    jelly -- use butter or cream cheese instead
    apple juice -- drink water
    low calorie dressing -- it has more carbs than the regular dressing
    cereal -- for breakfast eat protein like eggs or yogurt or leftovers from the dinner before
    pizza -- use alternative crusts -- recipes online for making zucchini crust or cauliflower crust
    bread -- cut out or reduce
    yogurt -- the vanilla kind has carbs and sugars. eat the plain or add your own vanilla at home

Add tons more veggies than you already have. Suggestions here:
    asparagus
    romaine, spinach, kale, collards, cabbage
    mushrooms
    okra
    cauliflower, brocoli
    cucumbers
    peppers
    radishes
    celery

If you need more calories, add more protein and fats.

These veggies are healthful and will help you not be hungry during the day.
    I hope this helps.
  • mfreeman918
    mfreeman918 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. Yeah yesterday was a bad food day in general. I added some of that other stuff like pb and j or cereal because I was needing more calories for the day. I will try adding my own vanilla to my yogurt . Again, thank you
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. Yeah yesterday was a bad food day in general. I added some of that other stuff like pb and j or cereal because I was needing more calories for the day. I will try adding my own vanilla to my yogurt . Again, thank you

It is going to be o.k. You will get the hang of it.
  • fayetinii
    fayetinii Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have pcos, I was 13st 6, 8 years ago (im 5ft 2!) I find as long as I be honest and track what I eat (and drink) and dont go above 1200cals no matter what foods I eat, I lose weight and working out obviously helps my body and mood in general.I am not an expert but I feel even with most medical conditions (not all) its simple math, burn more energy than you consume and your body will have to burn fat for energy and you will lose weight. Having pcos does suck though I get bad cravings alot lol
  • lightandflight
    Options
    Hi! I have PCOS too, but I don't have any insulin resistance yet. I'm assuming thats why you are concerned about carbs. Instead of just cutting carbs across the board, have you considered treating it like diabetes instead? Do you have a blood sugar tester? You could see which carbs make your blood sugar spike and which seem to keep you stable. (For example, my mom can't eat oatmeal because it makes her blood sugar get really high, but potatoes don't have the same effect on her for some reason). That way, you can still eat a balanced diet, have more options, and not have to worry about ketoacidosis or muscle loss along with issues that come along with true low carb diets. Not all carbs are created equally.

That said, you should try to never eat less than 1200 calories a day. It is the minimum MFP will assign because you need at least that many to get in all the necessary nutrients.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas. I have found success by focusing on protein. My carbs are mid to low but not super low. Don't get too obsessed with keeping it low carb.