Heart rate montior?

Options
Hey all! :smile:

I am curious as to who uses a heart monitor/ calorie monitor for workouts, and what would you suggest for me to buy...? I am currently doing several Zumba work outs, some pilates and yoga work outs, and walking/ jogging a bit. I just want /need to know my heart rate and track the actual calories burned. I'd like to find something that is easy to program, use, and understand- but that doesn't break the piggy bank. I tried just google shopping, but I don't know enough about what I should be looking for... some have straps (?) some are just like little wrist watches that you touch the metal housing and it takes you pulse/ heart rate.... what do I need to look for folks?
Thanks in advance!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Polar is a good brand. I think the straps are more accurate and you don't have to stop and touch the housing. The strap continuously takes your heart rate and you can download the info to your computer.
    Garmis is wonderful too, but expensive. You can try to find the older model of the Garmin, which is drastically cheaper than the touch screen version (which doesn't work well if sweaty!). Good luck!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    There are many different types and brands depending on what fits your needs/wants. Polar brands have the most accurate calculations for calories.

Things you want to look for:

Chest strap - this will continuously monitor your heart rate while you workout so you can accurate judge effort
    Coded - If you workout around other people or machines you want one that is coded so you don't interference

Try searching ebay or overstock.com to get good prices. Amazon.com is usually a good place for reviews.

Have fun.
  • calvarado
    Options
    Thanks!! So how does this strap work- and where is it? Is is a nuissance while working out? You would crack up at the vision I have of it!!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Hubby bought me the Polar FT7 for Christmas. It was about $90, easy to use and I LOVE IT.
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I just have a cheap £20 argos one but it does the job you dont have to go all expensive for one x
  • xp0sed
    xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I too am looking for a HRM. I pulled up some old posts a couple of days ago and most people on MFP seem to use Polar with chest straps. I'm trying to find a store locally that sells them at the moment, if not I will be purchasing online.
  • zandhmom75
    zandhmom75 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a Timex Zone Trainer. I really like it! It was less than $50 on amazon and I chose it because of the great reviews. It has a chest strap and I thought it would be uncomfortable, but it's not. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    So how does this strap work- and where is it? Is is a nuissance while working out? You would crack up at the vision I have of it!!

It is just a little elastic type band that fits right about where your sports bra would normally hit. It is not very constraining and honestly I don't even notice it anymore - sometimes I forget it is still on.
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just got a new balance N4 at Target. I LOVE IT!

I had one of the touch watches/pedometer combo, but it is not a continuous HRM (one with a chest strap) - so it was telling me that I only burned 23 cal - doing a Jillian workout (I don't think so). It just didn't seem to account for things like walking uphill which is harder than walking on a flat surface, or jogging. So it counted my steps and took my HR when I touched the watch, but wasn't useful for knowing how many calories burned.

Just tried the same workout with the N4 - 245 cal!!! (That feels more like it) I hardly notice the chest strap. The watch is actually pretty cute (supposed to be for women) and it was only $60. I know people love the Polars and I looked at those too, but this N4 got good reviews and was a lot cheaper. So far, I really like it.
    HTH,
    J
  • clb51
    clb51 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a polar f7 model with a unit that I can download into my computer after workouts. It works great and I use it for all activities with comfort. The chest strap is made with material instead of the old style plastic ones that were so uncomfortable. It cost about $150.00 for both. It's a great motivator and helps me stay in fat burning mode which is what I was looking for. I got mine at target.
  • ckzeunen
    Options
    If you have a ****s sporting goods near by they carry the Polar versions and sometimes on sale just bought 1 for hubby on sale and had extra $10 off. Look for coupons before you go!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    So how does this strap work- and where is it? Is is a nuissance while working out? You would crack up at the vision I have of it!!

It is just a little elastic type band that fits right about where your sports bra would normally hit. It is not very constraining and honestly I don't even notice it anymore - sometimes I forget it is still on.

I will add a little to this. It is a strap that goes around. Impedded into the strap it has electrical leads that pick up your heart rate. The strap also has a transmitter attached so it sends the information wirelessly to your watch. The strap is beneficial over the watch type since it will continously monitor your heart rate. The watches only view your heartrate through the pulse on your wrist when you push a button, getting only a random sampling. The only uncomfortable part about it is that it needs to wetted before you put it on. If you use warm water it isn't to bad. I don't notice mine during workkouts either. You put it on just tight enough that it doesn't slide around while you workout.

Does that help?
  • calvarado
    Options
    Ooh- all that info does help- so.. one more annoying question.. is the chest strap ( which sounds cool to me, not annoying if I'm getting the info I need- I already wear the friggin annoying sprts bra- lol) connect to the watch at all?? I'd assume not... I am clumsy and would get tangled.....
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ooh- all that info does help- so.. one more annoying question.. is the chest strap ( which sounds cool to me, not annoying if I'm getting the info I need- I already wear the friggin annoying sprts bra- lol) connect to the watch at all?? I'd assume not... I am clumsy and would get tangled.....

Nope. It communicates wirelessly with the watch.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I have seen a lot of good about polar on here. I personally own a Sauunto. I ordered it online abour 3 years ago and love it. It has a chest strap so it gives me a constant readout of my heart rate and real time calories burned. Also I can change my weight and other measurements in it so I get an accurate calorie burn reading. Another plus is its compatable with many machines at the gym. I bought mine for about $70 on sale. Its a t-series, there are some new cooler ones available now, but I don't know the prices. Oh also, for the ones with the chest strap, (at least mine) It has be sit under the edge of my sports bra which can be a little uncomfortable when your not used to it. I forget its there now, but when it was new it drove me crazy.