Made "diet" baked apples. Delicious.

Options
CorydonCutie
CorydonCutie Posts: 185 Member
My family loves baked apples and I've always made them with lots of butter, sugar and brown cinnamon. Well, I revamped my recipe and decided to do things healthier this time (it's the first time I've made them since I changed my eating). I sprayed a cookie sheet with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray" then cut apples in to about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wide slices. Spray the apples with the butter spray then sprinkle with Splenda and Cinnamon. Bake about 15 min on 375 or until tender. Remove and serve. Everyone here loved them! My Zumba instructor said when you make a lifestyle change like this not to completely throw out your old recipes and replace them with "diet" ones, rather find ways to make your old recipes healthier. Like using the butter spray, using lean meats and staying away from processed foods. She is also not a fan of artificial sweetners but I wasn't going to use regular sugar so...Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Replies

• princessmedic
    Options
    That's what I did. I went through all my recipes and figured out what I could replace to save calories/fat/sodium. It may alter the flavor a little bit...but really not as much as I expected-I feel its an even trade.
  • jessimacar
    Options
    Sounds fantastic! I'll have to try them soon - I haven't had baked apples in a long time as well!! Question though - Is Splenda the same as aspartame? What is it? Lol.
  • CorydonCutie
    Options
    Sounds fantastic! I'll have to try them soon - I haven't had baked apples in a long time as well!! Question though - Is Splenda the same as aspartame? What is it? Lol.

Splenda is a sucralose-based artificial sweetener. You measure it like sugar so it's easy to make Koolaid with, or tea, or even baked goods.
  • MrsFoster18
    MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Sounds yummy.
  • jlmnk1313
    jlmnk1313 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It sounds great! My mother owns a natural Food store and artificial sweetners are bad for you but you can get stevia or there are several options for sugar that are lower in calories but still taste like sugar! I can get the names of a few if you are interested for a better option! Just a thought. Way to go on the altering receipes, you are making a life style change instead of a diet! Yay!!!! Thanks for sharing the receipe!
  • teacupteacher
    teacupteacher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious
  • CorydonCutie
    Options
    It sounds great! My mother owns a natural Food store and artificial sweetners are bad for you but you can get stevia or there are several options for sugar that are lower in calories but still taste like sugar! I can get the names of a few if you are interested for a better option! Just a thought. Way to go on the altering receipes, you are making a life style change instead of a diet! Yay!!!! Thanks for sharing the receipe!

Yes definitely...that would be great. I want to do what is right for my family and me. Thanks!
  • jlmnk1313
    jlmnk1313 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    No problem I will get a list tomorrow and i will let you know some options!!!!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    These sound amazing! Thanks for posting!
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just made these YUM but i didn't have splenda so i used a wee bit of caster sugar it was so good because i forgot about them and it sugar caramelised and went so yummo!
  • materstater
    materstater Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I LOVE baked apples-mine are one apple sliced, 1 tblsp oatmeal, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, sprinkle of cinnamon, spray about 4 sprays of parkay. Microwave 1 min. Let cool=eat- I use a small apple-about 85 calories-yum!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    :smile: bump