High protein low cal snack ideas

Options
Hi

I've been logging for around 3 weeks and have really noticed if I don't eat enough protein I am STARVING! My problem is that most healthy snacks are quite calorie dense and I would rather use my cals on my meals but I am hungry in between meal times. I try to follow clean eating as much as possible but get stuck on snacks. I'm in the uk and there are not too many whole food shops around me as there seems to be in the US.

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roast chicken/turkey from tesco/sainsbury's etc.

A pack is just over 150cals and they are protein heavy
  • lccooper
    lccooper Posts: 12
    Options
    No I haven't thank you great idea!!!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Here are a few I use:

Whole earth peanut butter - either on oat cakes, celery or just a spoonful when you have a snack-attack
    Mini babybell light
    Peperami
    Natural yoghurt with nuts and/or berries
    Glass of milk
    Rolled up slice of turkey or ham
    Jerky
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    greek yoghurt with some fruit (I make my own fruit compote to freeze as single servings, comes out as 27 cals each)

Quark (a creme cheese type thing thats naturally fat free and higher in protein than yoghurt but is super yummy with fruit or honey, you can find it in the larger shops with the soft cheeses)
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    babybel light
    cottage cheese (the fatty kind) and either fruit or veggies (sweet or savoury)
    greek yoghurt
    handful of almonds/cashews
    high protein snack bar (I love nakd cocoa crunch bars, they aren't cheap but they're just nuts and dried fruit)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Crab sticks, hard boiled egg, Dairylea light triangles.
  • jules1506
    jules1506 Posts: 22
    Options
    Here's my main staple of my 'diet'

Tuna (tinned)
    Chicken breasts (buy in bulk from butchers for better value and freeze them when fresh, I slowly 'boil' them, so juicy)
    Packets of ham
    Greek yoghurt (Fage is best as its thicker and more satisfying) (also I use zero cal sauces to add to it)
    Protein grazers (google them)

I'm also on protein shakes which I add pysllium husk powder to, to make them thicker and help with my IBS. Hope this is of some help xx
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Maybe try banana, natural peanut butter, boiled egg, cheese and grapes, ham/chicken/turkey, tuna with little light mayo. All on rice cakes/crackers?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,655 Member
    Options
    Mojama de atun--a Spanish tuna jerky.
  • PixieDustTwinkleToes
    PixieDustTwinkleToes Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know it's probably not what one would consider "clean", but I swear by Fridge Raiders. All sorts of flavours so they don't get boring and it's just seasoned chicken. The people at the local store must be calling me the crazy chicken lady by now.
  • alg42
    alg42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs
    spicy roast chick peas (spray some fry light in an oven tray, tip in a in of chick peas, throw in whatever spices you fancy - I usually do chilli and garlic with rosemary - and roast for 45mins)
    houmous and celery sticks

Some good ideas above though that i'll definitely be trying :-)
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Egg whites! Great source of protein and super low calorie.
  • Roz2889
    Roz2889 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Here's my main staple of my 'diet'

Tuna (tinned)
    Chicken breasts (buy in bulk from butchers for better value and freeze them when fresh, I slowly 'boil' them, so juicy)
    Packets of ham
    Greek yoghurt (Fage is best as its thicker and more satisfying) (also I use zero cal sauces to add to it)
    Protein grazers (google them)

I'm also on protein shakes which I add pysllium husk powder to, to make them thicker and help with my IBS. Hope this is of some help xx

I'm interested in these zero cal sauces, what are they exactly and where do you buy them? I like the fage yoghurts too, at the moment I eat with a banana to make it more enjoyable but would rather something that wasn't carbs and sugar. Thanks!
  • riadhdeb
    riadhdeb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Your hungry cos ur not eating enough, One rule you should keep in mind "never go hungry and never get bloated"

Snack on nuts, Low fat Cottage cheese with berries, Avoid protein shakes apart from CASEIN protein it digests slow and that will keep u fuller for longer

Note cottage cheese is full of casein protein
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I was in need of some ideas too, so thank you!
  • jamescleark5
    Options
    Hi lccooper,

I think you have to try the kale chips. In my opinion kale chips is the best snacks, full of highly healthy protein and nutrients. Many companies provide crispy and tasty kale chips and you can also easily do this at your home.
  • ShoeGal78
    ShoeGal78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snack is 100g of Total Greek Yoghurt with 10g of chocolate protein powder mixed in - it's like a nice chocolatey dessert with loads of protein!
  • lccooper
    lccooper Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you all for some great ideas! I will be hitting the shops this afternoon to stock up! :happy:
  • Ginshi
    Ginshi Posts: 2
    Options
    How about fruits? Can you order foods online? I snack mostly on fruits and peanut butter because I can be starving like crazy. Peanut butter is a good protein, but only 1 tablespoon is enough. I love dipping apple slices into 1 tablespoon peanut butter and it really controls my hunger for at least 2-3 hours.
  • Ginshi
    Ginshi Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow i have never heard of Kale chips. Where can I find them?