Three meals a day?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a little advice.
As a college student with meal plan options that only allows me to eat two meals per day I find myself well under my daily calorie goals but still not losing any weight. I try to get exercise and eat right, but on my schedule eating more often is just not possible (unless I were to eat at around midnight, which isn't a healthy option either).

Does anyone else have the same problems? If so, how do you get around them?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You do need to eat 3 meals a day if you want to see weight loss. As was just explained to me on another thread, if you eat too few calories your body goes into starvation mode, and you won't lose. Keep something in your room that you can eat for a quick breakfast -- microwave oatmeal, cold cereal, hardboiled eggs in the fridge, fruit, etc. There's no reason to say you *can't* eat -- you can always eat. There's always a few minutes walking between classes or whatever. You just need to find food that you can carry with you.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Can you maybe buy some protein bars at target to keep in your dorm for breakfast? Maybe with a banana? You definitely need to eat something within an hour and half of waking up. Its very important for keeping your blood sugar stable and preventing overeating later in the day. Maybe a granola bar?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    well I have to ask whats "well under' your calorie goals? That may be the main thing..also u dont need three full course meals you can have small snacks to make up the calories all day long..requires preparation but its possible ..also you can eat light at midnight and not sabotage anything....perhaps a veggie soup..good luck in 2011
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    is there any way to change your meal plan? honestly that sounds like a pretty crap system. :/ either keep some instant breakfasts (like oatmeal) or some instant dinners (soup cups, etc) so you're still having enough calories. having too little calories can slow weight loss too if it puts your body in starvation mode. losing weight at college is SO hard. good luck!
  • kno337
    kno337 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey (:

I'm a college student too!! And I know exactly what you mean. I also play basketball so when i get home from class i don't have time to make lunch before i got to practice...

I like to stay stocked on granola bars, apples, and bananas!! Something you can just grab and go.. it help relieve the hungry feeling (which is BADDD). and it helps build your metabolism, nature valley and kashi are great choices on the health spectrum.

Also, carry a water bottle with you everywhere!! Drinking lots of water will help with the weight loss!

Good luck! Stay in touch (:

-nikki
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    Options
    Not eating enough will just slow your metabolism right down. If you cant get a third meal in then eat 2 meals and 3/ 4 snacks- they can be as simple as a piece of fruit or as someone else suggested a protein bar.
    Also you may be well under your calorie limit but that doesn't mean that you are eating nutritious foods, not seeing your food diary its hard to say but if you ate a couple of high fat meals such as a big mac meal at 900kcal and a Sub at around 600 you would only be eating 1500 kcal but its all fat.
    You need to try and take a bit more control, I know as a student its hard (I did my full time degree while looking after a 2 + 3 year old) but you need to make time to look after yourself. Take care and good luck!
  • lepekam
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm going to try to to find some low calorie foods for snacks that can be fast (even though even finding the time to go buy them is sometimes a challenge, lol). And I have still been getting over 1,200 calories a day, which is what I have always been told was the point where our bodies start storing fat instead of burning it. Is this too low?