Protein, fiber, and constipation?

Options
I'm mildly embarrassed to post this, but here we go...

My protein intake has been at 1 g/lb of bodyweight (anywhere from 130-150 g, usually) for the past 3ish months. I read that "too much" protein can cause constipation, so I thought I'd throw that out there. However, I didn't start having this constipation issue until the last few weeks. The only other dietary change I've made is adding Quest bars as my pre-lifting meal three days per week. This means that I'm taking in about 60g of protein before 10AM on those days once you take my breakfast and post-workout protein shake into consideration.

However, when I think digestive issues I think fiber. Quest bars have quite a bit of fiber, of course. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I normally never surpass my goal of 29 g of fiber. Same goes for weekends. On lifting days (MWF), it's more like 40-50 g of fiber. Some say more fiber makes you more regular and some say more fiber makes them constipated. I'm not sure if it's something my body has to get used to or if something has to change.

I haven't had to take any stool softeners or laxatives yet, but yesterday I thought I was going to have to. It sort of scared me a bit, because I've never had this particular issue before. Luckily I was able to go one more day without sticking a suppository up my rectum. Yay! But I'd really like to fix the problem so that doesn't happen again. I was thinking about going the Metamucil route, but if fiber is the issue, I may not want to add even more, right?

I'm at a loss. If it persists even after trying a few dietary changes, I'll see a doctor. I really don't want to give up my Quest bars, though. Anyone else experience this issue? What was your solution?

Replies

• Wickedwilfred
    Wickedwilfred Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would give up the quest bars. They are highly processed. Drink lots of water and eat fresh veg. Importantly give yourself time in the bathroom, constipation can hurt so try to relax. Chewing gum containing sorbitol can act as a mild laxative, that might help too.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I would give up the quest bars. They are highly processed. Drink lots of water and eat fresh veg. Importantly give yourself time in the bathroom, constipation can hurt so try to relax. Chewing gum containing sorbitol can act as a mild laxative, that might help too.

Saying Quest bars are "processed" isn't really going to deter me...
  • IndecisiveGirl2013
    IndecisiveGirl2013 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You could try cutting down on eating the Quest bars for a while just to see if it is actually causing the problem. That way you'll know for definite.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    I just don't see WHY it would be the Quest bars. 40-50 g fiber per day isn't some huge amount. I'm drinking 8-10 cups of water per day, sometimes more, so I doubt that's it. It just seems odd that three Quest bars a week would be a big problem. Maybe it's just too much fiber in one sitting. 18 g in the course of 5 minutes is quite a bit. Maybe I could spread it out and eat 1/2 of the bar before my workout and the other half during my afternoon snack.

I found someone with this problem on a bodybuilding website and a couple of people said his body would adjust to the increased fiber intake over time.
  • IndecisiveGirl2013
    IndecisiveGirl2013 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It just seems it could be the reason because it started around the time you started eating them. Yeah it could be that your body is taking time to adjust to it. Try spreading it out like you've just said and see how it goes. Trial and error. :)
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Giiiirrl, I know your pain :cry:

I eat a lot less protein than you (75g/day) but still have this problem, so I suspect that's not the culprit. I also drink a TON of water, and am reasonably active. I even went to see my doctor about it, but he gave the same advice you already know - more water, more activity, more fibre, etc.

As of last week, I started taking psyllium fiber capsules (2 with each meal, so 6 a day) and it's really, really, really helped. (Maybe (probably!) TMI, but if your familiar with the Bristol Stool Scale, I went from #1s and terrible cramps, with only one or two movements a week, to #3 and 4s once a day. I also started elevating my feet when it's time to go - think Squatty Potty.)

My preference is to NOT take a supplement though, and sort everything out through diet, but in the mean time, these little pills are saving my life. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Your protein does seem quite high. Even lifting heavy for your weight I would have thought 110g max would be sufficient (guessing body fat a 15%) - 1g of protein per lb of lean mass.

Why not try dropping the protein a little and making the calories up with some fermentable fibre, additional fat also is a stool pleaser! - might help.

Failing that - do what accountants do!!!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You could try drinking protein shake OR eating quest bar, but not both at once? Maybe that's causing the problem, you could switch them everyday.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Giiiirrl, I know your pain :cry:

I eat a lot less protein than you (75g/day) but still have this problem, so I suspect that's not the culprit. I also drink a TON of water, and am reasonably active. I even went to see my doctor about it, but he gave the same advice you already know - more water, more activity, more fibre, etc.

As of last week, I started taking psyllium fiber capsules (2 with each meal, so 6 a day) and it's really, really, really helped. (Maybe (probably!) TMI, but if your familiar with the Bristol Stool Scale, I went from #1s and terrible cramps, with only one or two movements a week, to #3 and 4s once a day. I also started elevating my feet when it's time to go - think Squatty Potty.)

My preference is to NOT take a supplement though, and sort everything out through diet, but in the mean time, these little pills are saving my life. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

You know, I took those capsules for awhile when I was in college. I wasn't actually having problems, but I did it in attempt to lose weight (how stupid, but at least I wasn't popping laxatives or making myself puke). I might just try them again, for a good reason this time.

I find my BMs during the weekend are much better and I never have constipation issues, probably because my fat intake is through the roof on those days, but I found it weird that I was constipated so bad on a Monday, right after a high-fat weekend. This makes me think it might be too much fiber in one sitting with the Quest bar. I ate it at 5AM and the problem occurred around 3:30PM. Tomorrow I'll only eat half in the morning and half later in the day and just see what happens. If that doesn't work, I might have to try some supplements.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Your protein does seem quite high. Even lifting heavy for your weight I would have thought 110g max would be sufficient (guessing body fat a 15%) - 1g of protein per lb of lean mass.

Why not try dropping the protein a little and making the calories up with some fermentable fibre, additional fat also is a stool pleaser! - might help.

Failing that - do what accountants do!!!

Well my goal is 1g/lb of body weight. Like I said, I've been having that much protein for a few months with no problems. My weekend protein intake is wayyy less, so it probably adds up to less than 110 g/day when averaged over the week.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I just don't see WHY it would be the Quest bars. 40-50 g fiber per day isn't some huge amount. I'm drinking 8-10 cups of water per day, sometimes more, so I doubt that's it. It just seems odd that three Quest bars a week would be a big problem. Maybe it's just too much fiber in one sitting. 18 g in the course of 5 minutes is quite a bit. Maybe I could spread it out and eat 1/2 of the bar before my workout and the other half during my afternoon snack.

I found someone with this problem on a bodybuilding website and a couple of people said his body would adjust to the increased fiber intake over time.

It *could* be the Quest bars. Protein bars will constipate me, so I don't eat them. What works for someone may not for another. Eating 1/2 at a time might help you, give it a try.

I also found myself constipated for the first week of upping my protein, even though it all came from food sources. I found a little help from a stool softener pill daily helped, then I weaned myself off. Now I'm all good, at 115-125g protein and only 30g fiber daily. Oh, and coffee. A good slam of coffee every morning helps it, too LOL!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    You could try drinking protein shake OR eating quest bar, but not both at once? Maybe that's causing the problem, you could switch them everyday.

I don't take them both at the same time. Quest bar at 5AM, work out, shower, protein bar at 7:45ish. Then I have breakfast (oatmeal) at around 8:30AM.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    YAY! Pooping threads are my FAV!

I would probs try a week without the Quest Bars too... not because they are "proceced:" or high in protein or whatever...just because the time frame of you starting to eat them, and having trouble pooping...seem to match up. Maybe it has nothing to do with protein...everyones different, there might be one random ingredeint in there that your body doesn't like to poop out. Basically the science of it is... remove variables until you find your solution.

And for the sake of talking about poop... If you ever NEED to try something I suggest Miralax. It isnt actually a "laxative" as you think of them - it isn't harsh, and disolves taste free in water. Many doctors recomended it for me... i see many because I have seen many poop doctors as I call them, for my ongoing poop saga of not being a good pooper since i was a baby.

For some reason fish oil is helping me stay regular these days... no idea why, but figured I'd throw it out there!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options

It *could* be the Quest bars. Protein bars will constipate me, so I don't eat them. What works for someone may not for another. Eating 1/2 at a time might help you, give it a try.

I also found myself constipated for the first week of upping my protein, even though it all came from food sources. I found a little help from a stool softener pill daily helped, then I weaned myself off. Now I'm all good, at 115-125g protein and only 30g fiber daily. Oh, and coffee. A good slam of coffee every morning helps it, too LOL!

Thank you so much for mentioning coffee! I didn't even think of that. I stopped drinking coffee recently - probably around the same time the constipation started. Then again, I didn't start drinking coffee on a regular basis until January, and had no constipation prior to that, but maybe my body got used to the coffee and now it's reacting to not having the caffeine. I'll have iced coffee 1-3 times a week, but I used to drink 2 cups of hot coffee 5 days per week before that.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, Fiber usually either cures constipation or causes diarrhea when eaten excessively, so I highly doubt added fiber is causing your constipation.

My guess is the Quest bars as well, as from your original post that seems to be all that you've changed recently. However, if you've been eating less fiber from more natural sources (vegetables & fruits, whole wheats and bran), your body might not be adequately processing the fiber in the Quest bar and therefore might be reacting to your changes as though you've simply decreased your fiber intake.

My only suggestions are to drink more water (though you're probably fine on this already), and get the majority of your daily fiber from "whole" foods.

Oh, and btw - I get bowel issues around my period, and taking oral stool softeners really helps when I'm constipated - and they don't require shoving anything into your butt.
  • amanda2pointoh
    amanda2pointoh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body processes protein and fiber just a little differently, especially if making a change like adding 50g of fiber three days a week. If I eat to much red meat I will be backed up for a couple of days and too much fiber usually makes me.... well... bloated. ;)

You could try taking a probiotic to support your digestive tract. I usually take a priobiotic in the mornings after a high protein day, so maybe you could do T/Th/S since you lift M/W/F and have extra fiber.

Also, I bought this awesome stuff called Natural Calm that is a fizzy powder you put in water and drink before bedtime. The magnesium in it helps you fall asleep (so they say...) but magnesium is also known for keeping the digestive tract on track! (see link below)

Best of luck!

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/natural-vitality-natural-calm-8-oz-powder/n3-1001?psource=SHIPNOW&sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=40-60&keyword=N3-1001&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Product+Listing+Ads-_-40-60-_-N3-1001&cvosrc=cse.google.n3-1001&cvo_cid=38366176309&gclid=COWB0v6Igb8CFVJefgod2IQAaw&gclsrc=aw.ds#.U6BJ8S8Wdgg
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Senna tea can get things moving.
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As someone mentioned, the third "ingredient" for being regular is enough fat in your diet. I imagine if you up your fiber intake by that much, you may also need more fat. But as others have said part of it is probably just your body trying to adjust to the increased fiber intake. I have heard before that if you try to increase fiber, anything more than about 5g per day (increase, not total LOL), will throw your body off. I would say if you have pain, you may wanna talk to a doctor, but aside from that, it ight just take a while for your body to adjust...
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for mentioning coffee! I didn't even think of that. I stopped drinking coffee recently - probably around the same time the constipation started. Then again, I didn't start drinking coffee on a regular basis until January, and had no constipation prior to that, but maybe my body got used to the coffee and now it's reacting to not having the caffeine. I'll have iced coffee 1-3 times a week, but I used to drink 2 cups of hot coffee 5 days per week before that.

Two cups of joe + two scrambled eggs = my pre-workout meal (I'm an early morning warrior, too). Then I poop. It's magical! True story.

(I like poop threads :laugh: It's okay, everybody poops!)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I don't take them both at the same time. Quest bar at 5AM, work out, shower, protein bar at 7:45ish. Then I have breakfast (oatmeal) at around 8:30AM.

This is a lot of constipating foods all packed in together. Oatmeal certainly doesn't help. Maybe try swapping it out for fresh fruit and see if that helps keep things moving?