18 Months - 162 pounds, will you help with the next step?

Options
Hello all –

Over the past 18 months I have lost 162ish pounds, I followed the calories and macros that my dietitian suggested and up until February I lost at a reliable and steady amount. I am 35, 5’ 6” holding at 215-217, I currently eat 2170/day (+/- 100) and keep my macros at 45% Carbs, 20% Fat 35% protein. I have weighed and logged everything I eat for 450 days except for a week in February when I tried to stop counting when I hit my goal. My exercise is as follows: CrossFit M-F, we do ‘traditional’ crossfit as well as Olympic lifting. I also cycle at least once a week, when I do I ride on average 50-75 miles, I completed my first century last month. My average crossfit calorie burn is 650 per session and cycling can be as high at 3200 depending on mileage, I do wear a polar HRM for both.

Goals:
Lose the last 15 pounds to get into onderland – It’s not a thing with weight anymore, it’s more of a “hey look, im in the 100’s” kind of thing. My weight doesn’t slow me down anymore and I feel good where I am but still want to see that number.

Muscle gain – I have gained a significant amount of muscle over the past 18 months as well, my last body composition test showed a 1.8# muscle gain in the last 5 weeks. I want to keep this going but want to make sure I am eating enough to make it happen.

Strength – Its getting there, but again I would like to have opinions if I am doing everything I can to build more strength, I believe my training is where it needs to be and am more interested in nutrition opinions than “hey change everything you are doing” I enjoy CrossFit and cycling.. that’s not going to change.

I’m interested in advice on the following:

Am I eating enough/too much? – I haven’t lost anything significant in over a month now, can I really be eating at maintenance or higher eating 2170 (+/- 100) a day?

Macros – Should I consider changing them up?

Any advice on the goals mentioned or caloric intake/macros is appreciated. I pre-log my food the night before for the following day to make sure I hit my macros and come close to my calorie need, ill open my food diary momentarily.

Advice or gifs.. have at it. :drinker:

Replies

• amcampbell2342
    amcampbell2342 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    have you thought about adjusting your macros?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    No advice, but wanted to say congrats on the 162 lb loss! That's amazing!

Bill-Murray.jpg
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    So many variables there. With the amount of cycling you do your caloric requirements would be higher than your standard individual with your stats.

When you say you haven't lost anything significant in over a month, what does that mean exactly? How much have you lost in that time frame? ---->

Per Body Comp Test:
    Body Fat % has gone from 27.9% to 26.9%
    Fat Mass: 60.8 to 59.6
    Fat Free Mass 162.2lbs to 157.4lbs (down 4.8lbs)
    Water gain of 3 lbs (makes sense as my weight training has increased, worked muscles retain water to heal)
    1 lb fat loss
    1.8lbs of muscle gain

Have you taken any real diet breaks? Withe length of your journey so far and significant amount of weight you have lost it would be something you should be considering if you haven't already.
    >

I have not, that scares me a little because it really isn't a diet to me. Its more of I changed the way I live. Id be open to letting go a little.

I'm not going to debate the whole muscle gains aspect but I will ask, how have you determined that you gained a significant amount of muscle?

I have body comp tests done every 3 months, but I have also considered that percentages don't always tell what is really going on

Weight Fat% Muscle% Date
    275- 44 - 35.5- 3/25/2013
    270- 44- 36 - 4/25/2013
    268 - 43- 37.1 - 5/30/2013
    258- 40.5 - 37.6 - 6/23/2013
    251 - 39.8 - 39.8 - 7/29/2013
    241.5- 37.6 - 38.7 - 8/30/2013
    239 - 37.1 - 38- 9/13/2013
    231 - 34.6 - 10/22/2013
    230 - 34.5 - 39 - 11/20/2013
    228 - 28.5 - 39.5- 12/20/2013
    224 - 28.5 - 41.6 - 1/5/2014
    215 - 26.9 - dont have the muscle % available for the latest test 6/10/2014

Last thing I will say is that is one hell of a job you've done in losing all that weight. Amazing accomplishment.

Thanks! Its been a wild ride for sure, looking forward to changing things up continuing progress.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Awesome is right! Way to go, dude!

After my 170+ loss, I'm firming up. Just mixing up the bigger eating with exercise and healthier choices is showing me how there is no paradox with being full and being in good shape as it felt like in the pre-weight loss days. I'm learning as I go, and just as before, the improvement continues, ever so slowly and in subtle ways.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. How do you feel?
    I think a very slow loss is appropriate at this stage of the weight loss process.
    You would see some stalls or a half pound gain and then two weeks later a half pound loss and three weeks later a pound loss. Be patent. Probably you could make any changes for three weeks and see if it helps. When things are successful we want to keep with the status quo but this might be a time to modify one or two things. My only suggestion is that you could find some room to add more low calorie vegetables:
    asparagus
    romaine, spinach, kale, collards, cabbage
    mushrooms
    okra
    cauliflower, brocoli
    cucumbers
    peppers
    radishes
    celery
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    You are doing great. How do you feel?
    I think a very slow loss is appropriate at this stage of the weight loss process.
    You would see some stalls or a half pound gain and then two weeks later a half pound loss and three weeks later a pound loss. Be patent. Probably you could make any changes for three weeks and see if it helps. When things are successful we want to keep with the status quo but this might be a time to modify one or two things. My only suggestion is that you could find some room to add more low calorie vegetables:
    asparagus
    romaine, spinach, kale, collards, cabbage
    mushrooms
    okra
    cauliflower, brocoli
    cucumbers
    peppers
    radishes
    celery

Thanks, I eat a huge salad daily with lunch and also eat veggies just about every night with dinner. I agree that I should fit more in my day. Thanks for the idea :smile:
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    bump
  • valeriefit14
    valeriefit14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow. You are amazing.

I wish I had really great information to pass along, but I get just as crazy about this stuff. Wondering if I've stalled out on my weight loss because I'm over-training or not feeding my body the proper macros to recover quickly enough or reach my goals. Ahhh! It's crazy.

My mother lost about 120 lbs a few years ago. She has a similar work outschedule. She goes on very long endurance rides, but also does a lot of crossfit-like workouts. I believe her macros are like 40 carbs/40 protein/ 20 fat. It wasn't until she cut back on her long rides that she started to chip away the remaining last 15 lbs. I would in no way discourage you from riding if you love to do it, but you may need to make further adjustments in the carb department on those riding days.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    Wow. You are amazing.

I wish I had really great information to pass along, but I get just as crazy about this stuff. Wondering if I've stalled out on my weight loss because I'm over-training or not feeding my body the proper macros to recover quickly enough or reach my goals. Ahhh! It's crazy.

My mother lost about 120 lbs a few years ago. She has a similar work outschedule. She goes on very long endurance rides, but also does a lot of crossfit-like workouts. I believe her macros are like 40 carbs/40 protein/ 20 fat. It wasn't until she cut back on her long rides that she started to chip away the remaining last 15 lbs. I would in no way discourage you from riding if you love to do it, but you may need to make further adjustments in the carb department on those riding days.

Interesting thought, maybe on cycling days change up macros to more carb heavy and the other days stick to a different macro.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    In regards to diet break. I understand you're not on a "diet" and it's a lifestyle change but the idea of a "diet break" isn't applied to individuals that are on a restrictive diet. It's just called that. Many individuals find it very beneficial for multiple reasons. One big factor is the mental aspect and cortisol. Taking 1 or 2 weeks to break the deficit and eat closer to a maintenance level can help reduce some of the stress put on the body and really aid in continuing the journey downwards when you return to a deficit. Obviously it doesn't mean abandon everything you have learned and start pigging out.

Do you have any lose skin? I ask because as you know that will carry some extra weight that you can't forget. One of my good friends has done from 330 to 205 and has a considerable amount of lose skin which could easily account for several pounds.

I think this is a good idea, I should learn to live a little now. I was just saying to my wife last night how I was getting tired of being a slave to counting and preparing every single night. Maybe it would be good to step away for a week or two and just not worry. Lose skin is there, its really not as bad as I thought it would be. I read somewhere that exfoliating and using coco butter daily helps the process, it could be total BS but I have been doing it for about 6 months and think I have lucked out with not having all that much. I don't and wont take my shirt off in public :laugh:
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My friend, I have embraced your journey from the moment our paths crossed and find myself inspired by all you have done. With that said, I do pose a few questions because I can't pull that what is missing from your log.

1. Are you set up for maintenance or weight loss (2170 calories = maintain in my book)?

2. When you do your report on net carloes are they above 1200 but below 1460?

I ask this because "I" believe that if you want to continue to lose your net calories should average between 1430 and 1460 over 7 days to maintain a deficit necessary to lose that last 15 to 17 lbs.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    My friend, I have embraced your journey from the moment our paths crossed and find myself inspired by all you have done. With that said, I do pose a few questions because I can't pull that what is missing from your log.

1. Are you set up for maintenance or weight loss (2170 calories = maintain in my book)?

2. When you do your report on net carloes are they above 1200 but below 1460?

I ask this because "I" believe that if you want to continue to lose your net calories should average between 1430 and 1460 over 7 days to maintain a deficit necessary to lose that last 15 to 17 lbs.

Good stuff --

1 - I am set up for Body recomp at 2170 BUT still well below by TDEE so in theory should be losing
    2 - See, you read my mind.. here is where all this in coming from -- If I look at my "last 7 Days" my AVERAGE is Net 1181!!! 5,923 net calories under weekly goal.

With that said I think I need to eat more food daily, like 400 calories more daily.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Good stuff --

1 - I am set up for Body recomp at 2170 BUT still well below by TDEE so in theory should be losing
    2 - See, you read my mind.. here is where all this in coming from -- If I look at my "last 7 Days" my AVERAGE is Net 1181!!! 5,923 net calories under weekly goal.

With that said I think I need to eat more food daily, like 400 calories more daily.

I agree you need to eat more!! If you know your TDEE then give yourself a 10-15% deficit and eat all those calories.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Good stuff --

[/quote]

Cool, looking forward to see how this plays out.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    Good stuff --

I agree you need to eat more!! If you know your TDEE then give yourself a 10-15% deficit and eat all those calories.

So I just looked it up again, based on TDEE -15% its saying 2657, call it 2700.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a calorie increase is in order then. You can always add 100 cals a week and see how you go if that sounds like too big an increase to make all at once.

Also, you might want to think about increasing your protein if you're looking to gain strength.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    Sounds like a calorie increase is in order then. You can always add 100 cals a week and see how you go if that sounds like too big an increase to make all at once.

Also, you might want to think about increasing your protein if you're looking to gain strength.

Thanks for the ideas

So with everyones suggestions I think upping calories to 2700 a day with a new macro goal of 40%carb 40% protein and 20% fat would most likely get me where I want to be.

Any other suggestions? Open to hearing anything people have to offer.
  • Life0fbrian
    Life0fbrian Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    75 miles?!!? wow! that sounds insane to me, you are so far more advanced that i am.

Puts things into perspective with regard to how little i am doing compared to your achievements and goals.

I wish i was more knowledgeable so i could help, but i think you are on another level and ill get there eventually but until then ill just leave this here.

Not sure if i can embed gifs yet
    http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/high_five_stephen_colbert.gif