it's been an entire year

Options
two years ago, i weighed myself at a friend's house and hit rock bottom. i was at my heaviest which was 194 lbs. i'm 5'3 and that's really heavy for someone my age/height. my friend managed to lose over 100 pounds doing weight watchers so i just decided to jog with her and follow her eating advice (i used MFP instead of weight watchers because mfp is free and easy, of course) and i lost over 25 pounds in 5 months. i was feeling great, i ate real well, ran at least 2 miles a day. and then i became depressed and stopped so i've been at 165-170 (it fluctuates constantly) for a year

i try to get back on track. i try to eat the foods i did before, i try to jog. but i can't motivate myself anymore

i keep buying junk foods, i obsess over nutrition labels, i can't make myself get up and work out because i keep giving myself excuses (too tired from work, too hot outside, etc)

i'm scared i'll completely let go and gain all of the weight i've lost back, i'm also tired of being obsessed with weighing myself and counting how much sugar/sodium i consume terrified i'll gain 100 pounds. i just want to be at a healthy weight, i want to feel good
i want to get rid of my belly and my side/back/arm fat. i know it's all in your mind and you really have to want it but i just have no motivation

i feel like i'm hitting rock bottom again at 166 lbs

:(

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You can add me and I will help you through this journey.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Congrats for keeping 28 pounds off for a year. Now do it forever. Life happens and you need to work around it. Make your habits so they stick.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You have two choices:

A) give up
    B) keep trying

You'll only regret one of those choices.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You have two choices:

A) give up
    B) keep trying

correction.

You either give up or you do it. No half a**.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You have two choices:

A) give up
    B) keep trying

correction.

You either give up or you do it. No half a**.

You are absolutely correct. My mistake.
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    Options
    Add me and I will support you! I have been where you are......and I don't think you fear gaining 100 pounds as much as you do the success of hitting your goals. I am not a counselor but I had a life coach for a year that posed that very concept to me. I really had to think about why I was procrastinating every day.

Good luck!
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much my story. I lost 60lbs in 2012 and was 20lbs from my goal when I got pregnant. I gained back 40lbs and because of horrible PPD, I gained another 30 over the last year. So I'm struggling but I refuse to give up. One foot in front of the other. Being thrown back at the starting point is so disheartening. Giving up isn't really an option for me. Nor do I see an ultimate ending point, so it's the journey. I've been trying to reach small goals. Look at it as bettering yourself instead of just losing weight. Feel free to add me. I am still struggling a lot and get so frustrated with this entire journey but at least knowing you're not alone is something positive. Good luck to you.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    The only way to get past the excuses and mental obstacles you are putting in your way is to just do it.

I know that it is much harder to do than to say - but just get up one morning and go for a run. You will probably be tired, it might be hot or cold or raining... but just do it. You will feel better for having done it and you will feel like you've accomplished something.

Once you've gotten that in, it will be easier to make the healthier eating choices - and maybe your whole day isn't perfect but if you make 2 or 3 healthy choices that is better than where you are now and a another productive step in the right direction.

Then repeat it the next day.

Give yourself 3 days...when your mind tells you that you can't, that it's too hard, that it is SO MUCH EASIER not to... tell it to keep quiet - that you are not going to listen - and that you are going to make it through 3 days...

And after that, you will be back on track because you will know you can do it and that it is not nearly as hard as your mind was telling you it was...

And when you go off track again (because it happens to all of us)... remember how you got back on and start again....
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. In the last year i have gained almost 30lbs. I switched jobs and went from on my feet all day to sitting all day and didnt change my eating habits. I am 5'5" weighing 184 as of today. Like you i havent had the motivation to get off my butt. I work full time and have 2 kids and a husband. Its hard finding time but if you even get a workout dvd its only 30 mins(i like jillian michaels or the biggest loser dvds) and then your done. I have recently found a little motivation. I dont drink near as much soda. I used to drink a 32 oz fountain a day if not more on somedays. Now i can barely finish a can. And Since last monday i have done some kind of workout 4 times. I know to some people thats not alot but to me i think its progress. My point is if you just do a little something everyday like eat a chicken salad instead of burger and fries thats a step in the right direction. Just remember why you started in the first place. I can a couple reasons. For my kids, i know it sounds stupid but i dont want to be the fat mom. To wear cute clothes again, I dont like wearing shorts b/c my thighs are nothing but cellulite. And just to feel better about myself. Good luck and i hope you find your inspiration soon!!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    two years ago, i weighed myself at a friend's house and hit rock bottom. i was at my heaviest which was 194 lbs. i'm 5'3 and that's really heavy for someone my age/height. my friend managed to lose over 100 pounds doing weight watchers so i just decided to jog with her and follow her eating advice (i used MFP instead of weight watchers because mfp is free and easy, of course) and i lost over 25 pounds in 5 months. i was feeling great, i ate real well, ran at least 2 miles a day. and then i became depressed and stopped so i've been at 165-170 (it fluctuates constantly) for a year

i try to get back on track. i try to eat the foods i did before, i try to jog. but i can't motivate myself anymore

i keep buying junk foods, i obsess over nutrition labels, i can't make myself get up and work out because i keep giving myself excuses (too tired from work, too hot outside, etc)

i'm scared i'll completely let go and gain all of the weight i've lost back, i'm also tired of being obsessed with weighing myself and counting how much sugar/sodium i consume terrified i'll gain 100 pounds. i just want to be at a healthy weight, i want to feel good
    i want to get rid of my belly and my side/back/arm fat. i know it's all in your mind and you really have to want it but i just have no motivation

i feel like i'm hitting rock bottom again at 166 lbs

:(

Its hard, I know..... there are days when I am literlly yawning while putting on my workout clothes after a 12 hour work day. BUT, I somehow always manage once I am at the gym. Its just about forcing yourself to do it. Almost like a robot, lol.

remember
    if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. It takes a lot of self motivation and willpower, I mean, LOTS. I think you can do it. Just get up and do it. Whats holdng you back?
  • bravesgirl981
    bravesgirl981 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You know, as far as the starting and stopping the weight loss (and the emotions you go through), I have been there. I have been on MFP for two years and this is truly the first year that I have kept up and maintained my weight loss. Before I had a very stressful job (I am a stress eater too, which definitely doesn't help), I would eat late and I would eat crap at night.

I got promoted at my job which gave me the ability to work my schedule a little differently. I come in to work one hour earlier M,W,F so I can go straight to the gym before rush hour. Start off with simple things like walking, swimming, a class. Work your way up slowly to other machines. That is what I am doing and have done so far. Also, it is important to integrate resistance training into your work out routine. This helps any type of weight loss.

Another thing that has helped me tremendously, I buy low calorie tv dinners for my dinner. I find that at this point in my weight loss it is very hard for me to cook and determine my portion size; this helps me to understand correct portioning so in the future when I am comfortable enough to cook again I know how much I should be making. There are so many choices. My dinners have a rule attached though; no eating after 7:30-->PERIOD. Wake up hungry, eat breakfast. Find times in your day and know where to plant your meals and snacks. My time is spent between work and home. With that in mind I keep snacks and oatmeal at my desk at all times. I am pretty sure people think I am a squirrel but this helps alot. If you hit traffic and know you are going to be sitting in traffic to get home, have a tv dinner at work; eat there and go home.

At this point routine is key. I try to keep things as easy as possible for me to keep up; anything more difficult, I strive to work up to. Don't beat yourself up; instead build a plan. You are more than welcome to add me if you need support; which is another great thing to have!
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that most of on here have a similar story.

I have been on and off here for a few years. This time I found a gym that I absolutely love. I love the classes, the trainers and the people. They now hold me accountable and call me to make sure I am okay if I am not there every morning-and I go 6 days a week. I have to tell them in advance that I wont' be there i.e. vacation and I love that. The gym trainers and peers are now my friends. I have going 6 days a week since January. Now I am seeing definition and am lifting heavy for the first time ever and I was a student athlete.

I know a gym membership is not option for all however the gym pushes me harder than a TV or DVD workout ever could and without the gym-it is too easy to overeat. I now have a different frame of reference. I am like do I really wanna cheat and ruin the hard work I did this morning. I am loving the body I am gaining. I am not done but I am well on my way.

Finding the right combination may be what you need. I could never (I tried) run-unless I was being chased by zombies and yet I know many who love that. There are lots of accountability groups on FB too.

Feel free to add me if you would like.