Should you eat even if you're not hungry?

Options
OK folks, I'm taking a consensus from people with successful weight loss and maintenance. Do you eat only when you're hungry or do you eat on a schedule?

I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day but some days I'm just not hungry until 11 -11:30 AM. Some days I want to eat my largest meal at 3:30-4PM and then have a light snack at 7PM. Is it so wrong to just listen to my body's hunger clock? Just wondering....

Replies

• jessicagilb
    jessicagilb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. I've tried eating on a schedule and I couldn't uphold it. I like to eat bigger meals too- I get more satisfaction. If I don't snack (which doesn't bother me) then I get those extra calories for my meals. Keeping within cal goal= weight loss.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day, skip it if you're not hungry in the morning.

Generally don't eat if you're not hungry, but make sure you're eating a reasonable number of calories every day. Don't starve yourself.
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    Well, I can guarantee two things: medical opinion on this will change in the next 10 years.... everyone will have a different opinion on this!

My suggestion is do what works best for you... SO LONG AS IT IS WORKING. However, I imagine that sometimes you think you don't feel hungry until you start eating.

Qualifier: If, however, you have any medical conditions that necessitates eating regularly, then what you FEEL like doing may not be as important in the long haul.

For me, I am Syndrome X. If I do not eat before bed or right when I get up... then I can have sugar crashes. By eating at good intervals I am doing MY body a justice. Do you need this,... only you and your doctor know. The key for me is keeping everything as level as possible.

I have read, however, and I think it tends to be relatively correct... that eating a balanced breakfast (not a sugar/carb fest) will lower the odds you will overeat at lunch.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The most important things are to meet your macros (carbs, fat, protein) and not eat over your calories limit for the day or week. The way you accomplish that is entirely up to you. If you don't have a medical reason to set your meal timing then don't add unnecessary complications for yourself. If you are not hungry until late morning then eat late morning.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm already eating at a sufficient calorie deficit to obtain my weight loss results so I eat back all of my calories. If I have extra calories but I'm not hungry, I"ll then enjoy a treat that I like. Always room for ice cream. I feel most people (including myself) are less likely to binge and quit a diet if I can enjoy myself once in a while.

Another thought, I don't always eat back all of my daily calories because I want to save some calories for a nice dinner or for some fun time during the weekend. You want you can focus more on a weekly goal and save some calories daily to have fun on the weekend. If you are not eating back everything save some for later.
  • miller272727
    miller272727 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when I'm not hungry, so some days I only eat 700 to 1000 calories. I know this isn't ideal but it's been working for me so I'm sticking with it.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry. Eating when I was not hungry is what caused me to get fat.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Lots of people don't eat until later in the day. As long as you're eating the right amount of calories overall, you'll lose weight.
  • tamwins
    tamwins Posts: 22
    Options
    I usually eat when I'm hungry, but I find that I'm hungry around my scheduled eating times. I think it just works out of habit for some people. I do think that having a breakfast is important though. For me, it prevents me from overeating later in the day. Sometimes I just get these major, insatiable hunger trips when I don't have breakfast. Of course if it's late in the morning...it's obviously brunch time!
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    I usually dont, did this morning went to Zumba and almost chucked my cookies so. i guess it depends on each individuals.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doens't really matter - as long as you're staying within your calorie goal, you will lose weight.

But it's not just about weight loss IMHO, it's also about healthy. You need to make sure you're eating at least 1200 NET calories per day (or on average over the week) and eating a good balance of macros (carbs, fat, protein) so your body is getting the nutrition it needs.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If you're experiencing adrenal fatigue (experiencing prolonged stress), then your cortisol levels are higher (fight or flight and all that) and it is very important to eat breakfast. Your cortisol levels are highest in the morning, and reducing your body's stress by eating helps regulate the cycle. Otherwise not always that important.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/adrenal-fatigue-is-it-real
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when I'm not hungry, so some days I only eat 700 to 1000 calories. I know this isn't ideal but it's been working for me so I'm sticking with it.

Define working. Of course you are losing weight, you're in a huge deficit, that doesn't make it healthy or sustainable. OP Try to reach your calorie GOAL each day, it doesn't matter what time you eat your calories
  • miller272727
    miller272727 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well, it's working in the sense that I'm losing weight and am happier with how I look. As to sustainability - valid concern. I'll let you know in a year. :-)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    OK folks, I'm taking a consensus from people with successful weight loss and maintenance. Do you eat only when you're hungry or do you eat on a schedule?

I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day but some days I'm just not hungry until 11 -11:30 AM. Some days I want to eat my largest meal at 3:30-4PM and then have a light snack at 7PM. Is it so wrong to just listen to my body's hunger clock? Just wondering....
    Who says breakfast is the most important meal of the day?

Eat when you are hungry.

One of the reasons of the obesity problem in America is because people think they need to eat a big breakfast, then a big lunch, and top it off with a big dinner. If we just ate when we were truly hungry then we all would be better off.

But......there are billions to be made by many people to keep people believing they need all this food.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should eat when you're hungry. Although meal timing doesn't matter for overall weight loss, if you eat at the same times everyday, most people will find themselves getting hungry at those times. It's weird, but our bodies like habit.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I do not eat on a schedule, no.

I don't force food down my throat just because of the number on the clock.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'd say no but then again I struggle with binging and overeating so it's difficult for me to listen to my body's hunger signals.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical need to eat on a schedule, then I say just wait to eat until you're hungry. I try to eat on a schedule to keep my blood glucose level from spiking or dropping. For me, that means eating on a timetable--roughly 8 a.m., 2 p.m., 8 p.m. and a snack right before bedtime.

HOWEVER . . .

If you're not eating all of the calories you need to consume (at least your BMR or minimum by another standard), then I would say that you need to eat as much as you can toward that goal, even if you're not hungry. If that means putting yourself on a schedule so that your body develops a "pattern" for eating or having a high-calorie snack before bedtime, maybe that's what you need to do to stay healthy. You might think it's "working" now, but eating at too great a deficit will have a terrible effect on your health in the long run.
  • maddy6686
    maddy6686 Posts: 4
    Options
    Since I started, I have been starving! I feel like I have eaten more than I normally do, but for some reason I am hungrier than normal. My stomach is even growling now and it's approaching 11pm. Of course I ate dinner at 6:30 and promptly ran out of calories so I am drinking tea. I am eating meals and snacking when I am hungry, but I still feel it's not enough, will this go away after the first week?