Cheat Days?

Options
clafairy1984
clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
I have heard that I should give myself 1-2 cheat days a week, so that my metabolic rate doesn't drop. However, im not sure whether this is a good idea or not. I feel like allowing myself a cheat day a week, but not going over the top with it, will help me stay on track when im craving something, and also allow me a more flexible social life, as can allow one night a week to have a few drinks etc.

Does anyone do this? Does it work for you?

Would appreciate your thoughts please x

Replies

• Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I DO allow myself to go over my calorie goal some on the weekends.
    I know that if I go over my caloric goal for the week it will slow my progress, but slow and steady keeps if off.

(also, for ME it is easier to keep going if I have Sunday lunch to look forward to.)

you WILL see mixed opinions on the topic, but don't let it discourage you.
    If you do the cheat days for a month and it slows your progress down too much, re-evaluate.
  • adstott
    adstott Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days it's to hard for me to get back on track. I may do a cheat meal here or there but many times I try to stay within my calorie range.

Everyone is different do what works for you!
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "should" have cheat days. I "allow" myself cheat days. Of course, the more cheat days I have, the slower the weight comes off.... When I do plan an over day, I take care that I don't go insane with it.

Plan, Log, Be Consistent.
  • chiacee82
    chiacee82 Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't know much about the science behind the leptin theory, but I have days where I intentionally eat around 500-1000 more calories (not junk) over my target (once every two-three weeks) and for whatever reason, I drop weight at an accelerated rate about 3-4 days after this 'cheat day'.

It works for me, I wouldn't do it every week though. Personally.
  • jellylocks
    jellylocks Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every 2 weeks. I make an occasion of it so me and a friend get glammed up and have whatever drinks we like, usually wine and then have a healthy meal with a few not so healthy extras The main bulk of what Ive eaten is low calorie so I can enjoy a bit of a cheat without undoing all my hard work.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    One thing y really have to remember is if you are eating at a deficit each day of 300-500 calories, one good cheat day can wash away 1-2 days of your progress.

Personally, I do the fasting where the up cycles I eat my TDEE of 2200-2500 calories. So I do use a :"cheat" evening about once a week at the most where I eat what I want, but because it is coming off of a fast I can still eat 2200-2500 that evening, many times less, and still be at or below my TDEE so it is a win-win
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I deliberately eat 100 - 200 cals less each day to allow me to have more at the weekend. I look at my calories as a weekly goal rather than daily. As long as I hit my target each week, I'm not so worried how I got there.

Do what works for you. If I deprive myself of all high calorie meals, I will just fall of the wagon very quickly.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal about once every 4 weeks (our Monthly Anniversary where Hubby and I have our date-night) where I go over my calories, but I try not to do it spectacularly!

I still have a lot of weight to lose so I want to keep on track as much as possible, but I'm human and every once in a while, it's good to have a bit of indulgence.

Kaela x
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I go over some days but not by huge amounts often and I try and balance it out throughout the other days of the week
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think it's dangerous to schedule a weekly cheat day. It will likely throw you off track and it will be that much harder to go back to clean eating. If you have social events, then work around them and make sure that you are preparing for them accordingly. Like if you know you are going out with friends, then try to eat really well throughout the day to offset the potentially bad foods that you may consume later. Don't miss out on events and outings but just be smart about them.
  • chellearellano
    Options
    A "cheat" day is really a personal thing I think. If you find it's an epic challenge to start up again after a cheat day than I suggest it's not a good idea to incorporate them in yet. I personally do have Sunday's as my "cheat" day. I find that it helps make the other 6 days a week almost a breeze because I know if I really want something I can just have it on Sunday and it eliminates the stress of "not being able to have" any type of food. I allow myself to go up to 1000 cals over my norm on that day but I find that it's hard to eat so much after so long of portion control. So if I eat too much I really feel sick and I no likey!

Above all I believe no food is really bad if kept within reason. If you're making sure to stay in a specific calorie range and you're getting the right combos of your macros (proteins, vitamins, carbs, fats) then there should be room to enjoy just about anything within reason. So keep it stress free and just enjoy the process as much as possible. It's a long term investment into yourself.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Make it a cheat MEAL, not day. A whole day of cheats can, in my experience, really get out of hand fast and blow your entire deficit for the week. But if you have success doing it, go for it I guess.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Cheat MEAL, not CHEAT day
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Cheat MEAL, not CHEAT day

this because on a cheat day I eat for half of Africa and destroy everything so a cheat meal works better
  • klynn2021
    klynn2021 Posts: 7
    Options
    What I have found that has worked for me is that I give myself a cheat once a week. This isn't a cheat day, just simply a snack on which ever day I would choose. Whether that snack be candy, chips, etc. but only have one portion once a week. I also considered white bread a cheat (though I can't have wheat anymore) so if I would have a dinner roll or homemade white bread that would be my cheat for the week. This satisfies my craving but doesn't undo all of my hard work.
  • tequilastuntman
    tequilastuntman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For me, a single cheat meal seems to be enough to make my system believe "hey... I think this dude isn't actually going to starve".

Have your normal breakfast, work out, have a cheat meal for lunch and then fast until the next morning, I will usually wake up feeling super lean -> intense boost for motivation!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I do high calorie days on special days where I do not track at all & eat what I want (my birthday , christmas , Canada day)

and I go over calorie goals sometimes on the weekends but still track it
  • kdbnmd
    kdbnmd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of cheat days at all.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend this, cheat meals, not cheat days. Although, tunnel vision works well for me so I rarely do them at all. When I do, I always feel sick or don't enjoy the taste of unhealthy food anymore anyway. This is more of a lifestyle change for me than a diet. It definitely depends on the person.
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, but I do do cheat foods and meals fairly often. For instance, I'll still stick to the same daily calories, but eat a small amount of candy or chips or a slice of pizza if I really am craving it and enter it into MFP. This isn't about your metabolic rate, it's just to prevent eating an excessive amount of that food later.