Abs like Keira Knightley

Options
so, I just hit my goal weight!
140lb at 5'9, or 10 stone. My body fat is 18%.

I'm looking to tone up my muscles though, because whilst certainly not flabby, I feel that a lot of work can be done.

I'm aiming for tone like this:
http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2007/galleries/040407_bi_knightley_300X400.jpg (bikini photo, may be nsfw)

I run five times a week, about 5k a time, and I walk/cycle a lot, but I have no idea how to tone, or if there is a special diet I should be following to trim down the fat?

Many thanks!

Replies

• tartansheep
    tartansheep Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    guuuuys
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Just from reading your routine, you need to adjust your workout. Abs come from a lowered BF%, and weightlifting is one of the cornerstones (along with deficit and cardio). It looks like you do none.

Make sure you're at a mild deficit, keep up the cardio if you want, but most definitely look into some sort of progressive lifting program.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Tone down the running and bring in some weights, focusing on core work. Include things like dead-lifts. It doesn't matter how good at running you are if that's not the end game...
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    throw in some weights and clean up what you eat. Lots of protein.
  • j3nn75
    j3nn75 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I do core workouts, walking and a full body workout once in awhile, I don't always reach my calorie goal but make sure to at least net 1200 calories if not more. Works for me. Check out my pics, I'm not a gym girl, I do bodyweight workouts. Just my 2 cents!
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS :D Good work!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Only Keira knightly well have abs like Keira knightly. Unless you are a very petite and very small framed girl, this won't happen.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ^what Danny said.

Basically, you'll have abs like you have when you get the right combo of training and eating to get your body-comp down.
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Do a few of the P90X ab workouts after each run and before you stretch! Maybe 20-25 of each exercise. Leg raises, mason twists, v ups, bicycles, and other fun things like bridges, jane fondas (these: http://a.abcnews.com/images/GMA/abc_gma_fonda_100501_wn.jpg), etc. and a few push ups while you're on the ground. :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Only Keira knightly well have abs like Keira knightly. Unless you are a very petite and very small framed girl, this won't happen.

I was thinking something along these lines too. To be able to have any visible muscle at her height and weight is probably genetics.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    She's got a pretty specific body type and bone structure.

So you can work and diet all you want. But be prepared you won't look JUST like her.
    ANd really that's ok.
  • jremele
    jremele Posts: 2
    Options
    You most likely have abs like Keira, you just cant see them (unless you are at 8% bf or lower).

You need very specific nutrition goals based on your height and current weight. With that being said, you will also need a linear or periodization training program to stimulate muscular growth. Your abs will only grow and become as strong as your lower back (antagonist muscles), therefor I would suggest going old school.

Old school as in, NO BODYBUILDING. Olympic strength training. The barbell stuff, stuff Crossfit people enjoying doing till they wind up in the hospital. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Rows.

Reason.. I used to want the same thing.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a great beginner strength program. Nutrition, like I mention above, depends on your current size/weight.

Experience: I am a drug free powerlifer currently in training, that trains people.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I want boobs like Christina Hendricks, legs like Bettie Page, a butt like Salma Hayek, and a face like Viven Leigh. How do I get those?
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I want boobs like Christina Hendricks, legs like Bettie Page, a butt like Salma Hayek, and a face like Viven Leigh. How do I get those?

i'll PM you the number of my surgeon... he's Dr. Franken... something....
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Contact Frankenstein, I suppose.

As for the OP, I have nothing new to add because other fantastic users have already mentioned great advice to get you toward this goal. :) Congrats on your loss! You can do great things with your body. Be patient and kind with it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The thing is...

This picture:
    01-oiselle.jpg

And this picture:
    photo-3-2-e1379637294340-470x1024.jpg

were taken within a few days of each other.

Read the blog: http://asklaurenfleshman.com/2013/11/keeping-it-real/

You might already HAVE abs like that, just not the routine to get them ready for a photoshoot.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

i'll PM you the number of my surgeon... he's Dr. Franken... something....

Awesome!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Do a few of the P90X ab workouts after each run and before you stretch! Maybe 20-25 of each exercise. Leg raises, mason twists, v ups, bicycles, and other fun things like bridges, jane fondas (these: http://a.abcnews.com/images/GMA/abc_gma_fonda_100501_wn.jpg), etc. and a few push ups while you're on the ground. :)

:huh:
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Everyone has abs. You've gotta drop your bf% lower to see them.