Staying motivated over the weekend

Options
Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks in advance for helping me out!

In short, I’m back on the wagon after losing about 15kgs, I took a break and I’m on it again and about 3kgs down so far.

I’ve been doing a big meal prep on Sundays, to ensure healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners throughout Monday to Friday, however when the weekend comes it all goes to pot.

I often stay with friends at the weekend, and eat very much “on the go”. The pressure of them going to restaurants, out for beers, or indulging in treats often makes me succumb to over indulge after having a really healthy week.

I do allow myself to have a “sod it Saturday” but these past few weeks its rolled over into Sunday, and even Monday morning, putting me well behind on progress.

Any suggestions would be very much welcomed!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    make Friday a weekend prep night too. I used to eat with my cousin over the weekend who is trying to gain 30 pounds. We cannot do stuff like this.
  • Shannonscott10
    Shannonscott10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of "Sod it Saturday!" I use to have "Free Friday," but yours sounds much better. I'm having the same type of problem too. I'd like to follow this board to see if any ideas could help the both of us.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You could use my co worker line of no cheating days til you get a six pack.
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same exact issue. The only thing that seems to work for me is making sure I get exercise in that day, no excuses. I also pre-log after I know what I'm going to be doing that weekend to make sure I can fit in the beer and restaurant meals. For me it just takes willpower and planning!
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Same here! Needing advice...
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks in advance for helping me out!

In short, I’m back on the wagon after losing about 15kgs, I took a break and I’m on it again and about 3kgs down so far.

I’ve been doing a big meal prep on Sundays, to ensure healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners throughout Monday to Friday, however when the weekend comes it all goes to pot.

I often stay with friends at the weekend, and eat very much “on the go”. The pressure of them going to restaurants, out for beers, or indulging in treats often makes me succumb to over indulge after having a really healthy week.

I do allow myself to have a “sod it Saturday” but these past few weeks its rolled over into Sunday, and even Monday morning, putting me well behind on progress.

Any suggestions would be very much welcomed!

Some people on here watch their weekly macros instead of daily. You can try and do that. That would mean eating a little less during the week to even out with the weekends food. Or eat at restaurants with your friends but make it fit into your macros. Eat a smaller serving. That is what I do currently and I've still been losing weight every week. Ultimately it's up to you what you really want.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    think about this... is it really worth it to work hard all week and stay disciplined only to blow it all every weekend? Youll never see progress if you keep at it this way. Might as well make your week count!!!
    good luck!! stay focused always!
  • cass_wilson
    cass_wilson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What a good question. I have the same problem as well :o(
  • brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    this is where changing your eating habbits comes into play. The reality here is all the tricks in the book or other posts/shows/youtube clips tell you how you can plan for this are all meaningless. Your changing how you eat and if you don't get used to eating proper portions you will always have this problem.

There is no such thing as unhealthy foods....there's a difference between the caloric content of them and if they'll fill you up. For example you can still eat a doughnut and stay within your calorie goal however you're not goign to feel full on the doughnut and want to eat more, which leads to more calories consumed.

Eat proper portions, learn how the food effects your body that your consuming. :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Eat lighter during the week so it'll balance out when you indulge at the weekends. That's one of the things I've done that's kept me on track.
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    20% less calories on weekdays, maintenance at weekends. You are still on a 60% deficit then. Problem solved.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I concur with the weekly stats and goals instead of daily in these situations. However, eating less on the weekdays does not mean creating such a large deficit that you cannot function properly or fuel properly for your week.

Make sure your weekly deficit is equal to the number of calories you need to lose the amount you want to lose per week. (I.E. = 1 pound is 3500 calories- how you divide that up per week is up to you)
  • elleargile
    Options
    Wow guys!

Thanks for all your replies! I've got a lot to think about here, thanks! :)
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    Exactly what I keep telling myself!
    think about this... is it really worth it to work hard all week and stay disciplined only to blow it all every weekend? Youll never see progress if you keep at it this way. Might as well make your week count!!!
    good luck!! stay focused always!
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do so well during the week and the weekends I eat like I've never seen food before. I have found that I've put on 3 lbs over the past few months just by doing that!!! It goes on quickly.....

I like the food prep Friday night idea.....and also ensuring that I get my exercise in for the weekend, too. I tend to over relax on the weekends.
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    Thinking that is what I am going to do. Fridays are the days I want to eat eat eat. I do good on Friday's and Saturday's
    Eat lighter during the week so it'll balance out when you indulge at the weekends. That's one of the things I've done that's kept me on track.
  • brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    this is exactly what I expected and why so many people struggle with this. Everyone sees food as being the problem and its not, it's how you perceive it. The sooner you stop thinking that food is the problem the easier it'll be to wrap your head and mindset around it.

Food is an energy source in which you have to train yourself how to eat properly. This is unheard of, I know, but look at your habbits and why you're gaining weight. Is it because you don't exersize, no you don;t need to exersize to lose wieght. Is it because you over-eat? Yes. Why is this, why do you continue to over-eat if you know it's whats causing you all this head ache? My habbits were to eat until I feel full. This is what's caused me to gain weight, eating more then what I actually needed.

So wait a second, why do we all struggle on weekends? Well thats when most of us are home, around the kitchen more, go out with firneds/family, etc. But yet you still do the negative, over-consume food! And to think putting bandaids over this problem like everyone continues to do thinks it's easier to resolve this????

As you can tell I've done all the above and all it does is lead to you constantly struggling, battling yourself every single day....and for what??? Teach yourself how to eat properly, portion control, and hit your calorie goals. That is what will keep you focused and truly understand how you should be eating. And yes, you can eat pizza, wings, anything but they'll have they're negative ffects but you can still lose weight eating them!
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    bump
  • Lizz45ie
    Lizz45ie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers about over eating on the weekends. I fell off the wagon in May and have been struggling to get back on track. I track regularly during the week but it goes out the window on the weekends. From this point I commit to tracking during the week as well as the weekends.