Warm bowl of goodness in a low-cal version?

Options
helenarriaza
helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
We have our winter/rainy season in my country, and I find myself craving soups and warm meals.

The flu I have only makes the craving bigger.

Unfortunately the only soups/stews/one-pot-meals I've found are usually calorie dense.

Do you have any tips for low-cal versions of them or any soups/stews/one-pot-meals that are friendly to my calorie budget?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Home made soups are one of my "go to" low calorie meals! What are you putting in them to make them calorie dense? To me, soup is usually just cooked up vegetables with a bit of stock, herbs, spices etc. Sometimes I add lentils or barley etc to make it a bit more substantial, but it's still very low calorie. Stews can also be fairly low calorie, if you avoid fatty meats and go easier on the more calorie dense vegetables.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Just use stock and veggies, and you can make very low calorie soup! I make veggie soups regularly, usually with chicken stock, carrots, peas, a small potato or a little bit of barley or pasta, a tbsp of tomato paste, and might throw in other vegetables I have on hand, and they are usually less than 100 calories a serving!
  • helenarriaza
    Options
    Seriously? Home made soups are one of my "go to" low calorie meals! What are you putting in them to make them calorie dense? To me, soup is usually just cooked up vegetables with a bit of stock, herbs, spices etc. Sometimes I add lentils or barley etc to make it a bit more substantial, but it's still very low calorie. Stews can also be fairly low calorie, if you avoid fatty meats and go easier on the more calorie dense vegetables.

My country is particularly fond of pork and beans, potatoes, yuca, etc. I found out they are filling but very calorie dense.
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

My country is particularly fond of pork and beans, potatoes, yuca, etc. I found out they are filling but very calorie dense.

Real Simple has amazing recipes and all are typically healthy.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/low-calorie-recipes-00100000102481/page19.html
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Split pea or bean soup. Also, black eyed peas and collards with a bit of ham or one slice bacon. Chicken soup with a small amount of homemade pastta.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Make a recipe and enter it into the recipe builder. Or, you don't even have to make it in real life, just enter it in. Look at what things are the most calorie dense, and cut them down or switch them to something else. You don't have to completely avoid all the ingredients you like (just like with the rest of your food consumption) but if you look at the calorie/nutrient breakdown of the recipe, you can see where you can make easy switches.

For example, cut down on the beans and potatoes and add in more vegetables that are less starchy and therefore less calorie dense, like celery or broccoli. Choose leaner cuts of pork, or try other meats. Tweak it until you find the right balance for taste and nutrition.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I make a leek and potato soup that is very creamy, but non-dairy. The key is to use yukon gold potatoes (not russets or idaho). Lightly brown cleaned chopped leeks, garlic, and scallions if you wanna get fancy. Use a little butter or EVOO. Cook the clean quartered potatoes until soft, with skin, drain off most of the liquid. Add back to the potatoes about a cup or two of chicken stock (depending on quantities and desired thickness), the leeks and garlic, white pepper, and other herbs and spices to your taste (sage, thyme, salt) and simmer. Then puree with a stick/immersion blender. Voila. Enter it into the recipe builder for calories.
  • helenarriaza
    Options

Make a recipe and enter it into the recipe builder. Or, you don't even have to make it in real life, just enter it in. Look at what things are the most calorie dense, and cut them down or switch them to something else. You don't have to completely avoid all the ingredients you like (just like with the rest of your food consumption) but if you look at the calorie/nutrient breakdown of the recipe, you can see where you can make easy switches.

For example, cut down on the beans and potatoes and add in more vegetables that are less starchy and therefore less calorie dense, like celery or broccoli. Choose leaner cuts of pork, or try other meats. Tweak it until you find the right balance for taste and nutrition.

I did not think of that, thank you very much :smooched:
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Broth based instead of cream based soups is a great place to start! Watch out for soups like pork and beans because they usually contain a lot of sugar:/ I would just stick to chicken soup or beef and veggie soup ...broth based... instead of new england clam chowder try manhattan clam chowder.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    This soup is amazing and low in calories!! I added some chopped spinach to add veggies, it was perfect:) http://lindawagner.net/blog/2013/11/paleo-chicken-tortilla-soup-recipe-why-you-should-cut-dairy-out-of-your-diet/index.html
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Very popular in our house... I leave out the cocoa powder ..hope you like this..

Ingredients Edit and Save

Original recipe makes 4 servingsChange Servings
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    1 stalk celery, sliced
    1/4 pound mushrooms, chopped
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite size pieces
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
    1 pinch ground black pepper
    1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
    1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    Check All Add to Shopping List
    Directions

In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic, bell pepper, onion, celery and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Set aside.
    Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and brown the chicken over high heat until it is golden brown and firm on the outside. Return the vegetable mixture to the skillet.
    Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, cocoa powder, salt, hot pepper flakes and ground black pepper to the skillet. Stir for a few minutes to prevent burning. Add the tomatoes and beans, bring all to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover the skillet and simmer for 15 minutes, then remove cover and simmer for 15 more minutes.

Nutritional Information
    Chicken Chili
    Serving Size: 1/5 of a recipe
    Servings Per Recipe: 5
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 308
    Calories from Fat: 95
    % Daily Value *Total Fat10.5g16 %Saturated Fat1.5g8 %Cholesterol53mg18 %Sodium547mg22 %** Potassium614mg17 %Total Carbohydrates25.9g8 %Dietary Fiber9.5g38 %Protein29g58 %Sugars4.1gVitamin A19 %Vitamin C53 %Calcium12 %Iron40 %** Thiamin27 %** Niacin126 %** Vitamin B650 %** Magnesium18 %** Folate15 %*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com - it has a ton of soups, crockpot meals, etc - and lots of traditional "comfort foods" turned into lower-calorie versions. Everything I've made from that website has always been really yummy!
  • krysannboggs
    krysannboggs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love adding quinoa to my soups and stews to make them more filling. One I recently made was with bok choy, onions, stewed tomatoes, carrots, diced garlic and cauliflower in a chicken stock base, and it was deeeelish :)
  • Mygsds
    Options
    Also check out www.slenderkitchen.com. Really good site with nutrition..
  • gregs_gal
    gregs_gal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this chicken soup recipe.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Yucatan-Style-Chicken-Lime-and-Orzo-Soup-109251

When I make it, I increase the amount of stock to 8 cups, use 3 seeded tomates, 1 lb of chicken (roasted with garlic and lemon while I prep everything else), and add in some fresh spinach (a couple handfuls roughly chopped) and baby bella mushrooms (8 oz). According to the recipe builder here, it logs at 206 calories per serving (6 servings with the added items).

*Side note: I put the spinach and cilantro into the individual servings rather than stir it into the hot soup. I like it to stay slightly raw rather than get kind of slimy from cooking too long. If I have left overs, I let it cool some, then portion it out and put the spinach and cilantro on top before putting the lid on.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Cheaper varieties of Tinned Soups tend to be lower in Calories. I eat Aldi or Tesco Basic Tomato Soup with some Multigrain Crackers when i'm cold and it's all under 300cal.

Kaela x
  • Mygsds
    Options
    I love adding quinoa to my soups and stews to make them more filling. One I recently made was with bok choy, onions, stewed tomatoes, carrots, diced garlic and cauliflower in a chicken stock base, and it was deeeelish :)
    That sounds wonderful
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I make a southwestern veggie soup:

28oz can of crushed tomatoes
    1-2 cans of tomato paste
    1 boullion cube (chicken or beef)
    1 can black beans
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can corn
    Spices to taste. I like cayenne, hot red pepper flakes, pepper, and salt. I bet granulated onion and garlic would be good too.

Mix all into a saucepot, and simmer for around an hour. You can also add chicken as well (diced) if you like. Garnish with a little bit of Mexican blend 2% cheese, and you've got a solid meal!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I make vegetarian chili with lots of different beans, onions, peppers, tomatoes and sweet potatoes (cuts the heat just a little bit and adds some creamy, comfort-food-ness). I just sautee the onions/peppers/potatoes in a little bit of olive oil, then dump everything in the crock pot because I'm lazy :smile: